User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Path of totality

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

clvr83

I assume everybody has heard of the impending solar eclipse but locally it's a huge deal. My house sits to where we will have the longest duration of totality and in 2024, the next eclipse crosses a town about 10 minutes from me, deemed the crossroads.

I'm not exactly sure just how excited I should be. I'm looking forward to the feeling it brings, but I also hope to live afterwards. And eat well. For many years. Should we take off work that day or just have a long lunch? Our area is expecting 50,000+ visitors. I'll probably stay home to guard the family and make sure no wannabe hippies invade my field. Unless they have tacos or something else worth sharing, then maybe they can hang out.

I have a friend traveling over four hours from Chicago to see it. Anybody else traveling for it?

August 20, 2017 at 11:54 p.m.

clvr83

I went, had one beer, then came home and burnt an old couch. No cushions of course.

I don't go out much and didn't have much reason to stay there tonight.

August 20, 2017 at 5:57 p.m.

clvr83

At least it will be a bit cooler in the middle of the day.

We are expecting 50-100,000 visitors to our small area. I have a friend from Chicago down, we are going to hit a local bar once I put the kid down. I heard a NASA scientist barfed last night...

August 13, 2017 at 9:11 a.m.

clvr83

PC: How nice. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old that I think I'm going to be leaving inside. They won't remember it, so I'd rather not risk their eyesight. The 13 year old will be here though.

Woody: Just imagining your plan I'm awestruck. I also feel a similarity between your relationship and my relationship with my wife. My plans are merely a suggestion and normally involve working before, during, or shortly afterwards.

We are just going to sit at our house and enjoy the moment. Our area is expecting such a crowd that people are stocking up on fuel and the cell carriers are bringing in extra equipment to handle more devices.

August 8, 2017 at 9:18 p.m.

wywoody

I'm 40 miles North of the line of totality, it will only be 98% of totality here. I was planning to be at a job on top of a mountain where you can see all the way to Mt Jefferson which is on the other side of the path of totality. My wife wanted to go down to Salem with my daughter and kids to experience total darkness.

I told her that was stupid unless they had a destination in mind, they would just be driving around in a lit-up city. I suggested something I had heard about at the Oregon Garden http://www.oregongarden.org/events/eclipse/ and later that day she said we had tickets and we're going, so I'll see how that goes.

But I still will be curious what it would have been like at the mountaintop place I had planned.

August 8, 2017 at 6:09 a.m.

clvr83

I was upset I forgot about the last meteor shower but I did sleep like a baby that night. This has been our highest grossing year by a large margin, so it's hard to keep my attention after 7:30pm.

Totality duration will be 2 minutes and 40 seconds but the eclipse will last nearly 3 hours. Stars will be visible and the temperature will drop. People get weird.

August 6, 2017 at 9:41 p.m.

Old School

The director of our Barbershop chorus is into astronomy and he is going to be out there. You could rent rooms for a lot of money if you wanted to. it would be great. I am not going to be around then. Send pictures! Old School

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SOPREMA -   Banner Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand) New Design
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo