User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

owens corning duration and duration premium problems

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

roofus

anyone had any problems or know of any problems with the owens corning duration or duration premium shingles ????????

December 14, 2009 at 7:45 a.m.

Old School

I don't know how long you guys have been roofing, but I remember nailing on thousands of squares of the original 3 tab shingles with no self sealant strip. The first "self sealing" shingle we ever put on was with the old Carrey Fire-Chex which was a 2 tab asbestos shingle and my job was to peal off the paper strip on top of the sealant before the men nailed them on the roof. It didn't take very long for the manufactures to figure out to put the strip on the back of the shingles instead of the front, but the first mass produced shingles had a heavy strip of sealant all across the shingle. It did just what the OC's are doing now. It trapped the moisture beneath the shingle and wouldn't let it escape. Soon, they started to make the sealant either "dots" (Bird and Sons) or rectangles of alpsahlt with space between (Johns Manville) so that the water could run out on the shingle below. That was in the mid 60's. They have went full circle with the OC's now. The plastic strip on the front of the shingle gives the sealant a great place to adhere to, but it is going to be a BIG problem. Be careful, the nails will rust and the shingles will slide off in bunches, but then again, that is no different than the shingles nailed on with gun nailers that are shot right through the shingles at an angle that do the same. What are we doing?

December 13, 2009 at 9:08 p.m.

tinner666

minnesotaroofin Said: The nail heads corrode on lower pitch roofs due in part to the new sealant strip trapping moisture- If i remember right

Hmmm. I'm sure I only saw this when felt nails were used instead of roofing nails. If I'm wrong, you could contact Maze with the details and they would come up with a solution. Could have been a bad batch of maze nails, though I doubt it. Bet they were felt nails.

December 13, 2009 at 6:22 p.m.

tico

you,ve got it minnesota.

December 11, 2009 at 7:23 a.m.

tico

use the search engine for this site.theirs some post about it.several. about duration.read them all.I couldn't find them to bump them maybe someone can as to keep from having to peck out the infoo again. thanks in advance. p.s. theirs A situation brewing about it.

December 11, 2009 at 5:35 a.m.

craftesman

i have been using them for years here in sw pa. and have not had any problems at all

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS Trends 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away