English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
USG - Sidebar - Fire
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

opinions needed

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

ROBERTS

ok i bid a job for a client that was based on a per sq. foot price. we were told the job was 5400 sq. feet but after the job was excepted they say ridge and hip are included. i say each foot of hip and ridge is more. they want other roofers opinions. give us yours thanks

March 12, 2010 at 1:11 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

When you are a large company, resources are there(I.E. sales reps.) to prevent this type of haggling. But I have seen in the past where smaller companies are forced to eat the hip/ridge if they want the job. Also customers don't like it when you quote a 22sq job when the other estimates are only 20sq. Even though you try to expain the difference, they are still convinced your ripping them off.

But 5400 sq feet, could turn out to be a lot of hip/ridge. And more cost, especially, if they want to go with a high def ridge. If you can't get out of the contract, try negotiating a materials only price for the extra material. At this point your goal is to cut as much loss as possible.

March 12, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.

egg

I can understand that then. Roberts' client wouldn't necessarily go for it. TomB has his finger on it imo when he says, "...The customer/avg. Joe, isn't a roofer, and is not typically privy to any particular lingo, or specific methods utilized by a particular trade or craft..." I'd say sometimes they are completely innocent and sometimes they deliberately misunderstand; it's a human trait to misunderstand. If I tell you a job will cost between six and eight thousand dollars, let enough time go by and I guarantee you that you will remember I told you six.

However we explain it and however we derive a per square number, whether before or after the job is costed out, it is clear to me that we roofers universally add for ridge, one way or another. I know a lot of roofers and they do things differently with just about every aspect of the business but not one of them I know assumes trim to be part of the field material cost. When we do a tile job we always reach that point where we look at each other and say, "Well, it's all layed up now. A couple of days to trim it out and we're done." With tile there are also substantial loading costs. Unless specified as load and lay, these are never assumed to be part of installation costs. If you tell me you are going to provide material what do you mean, stocked?...what do you mean FOB?" or if you ask me to give you a price to load and lay, is it ground-drop or to the eave? You get some delivery boy to put 50,000 lbs of clay or concrete at the back of your lot and say "there you go" it's not nearly the same as spreading it in the proper pattern. You tell me it will be loaded, what then if I have to move half of it because it's loaded funny? If you ask me how much I will charge per square to lay it up, who covers clean-up? I can complete your roof and leave you centralized piles of scrap, but I'm not taking all that "material" to who knows what dump for you without using my equipment, gas, and time, for pay. Laying tile on-site and delivering/undelivering tile off-site are two entirely different parts of the job.

This is why I have zero interest in labor-only jobs. There's no money in it and no gratitude either. You're just a paid flunkie.

The manufacturer, the 'jobber,' the 'wholesaler,' the 'retailer,' the customer are the typical legitimate players in the supply chain, the so-called middlemen with a legitimate claim to exist. We are essentially the retailer. You can't eliminate us as a legitimate middleman without turning us into employees. Employees aren't independent contractors.

March 12, 2010 at 7:56 a.m.

Jed

Egg, The formula I use for a shingle roof (and have done for years) is total sq ft of roof area, eg 50sq + 10% Hip 'n' ridge, valleys, starters etc = 55sq + 10% waste. Total shingles needed 60sq for a 50sq roof. Not to say I have never run short, but most times I have a couple of bundles left over to leave with the homeowner for any subsequent repair. For a tile roof I get the total sq foot of tiled area + 10% breakages the lineal ft of hip 'n' ridge divided by the length of the ridge tiles used to give me the number of ridge tiles I need. The cost of these is then added to the cost of the tile. I don't subtract for the mortar joints as there are always some broken. Obviously roof accessories are added (felt paper, nails, mortar) I am just explaining the use of the word opposite.

March 12, 2010 at 3:19 a.m.

OLE Willie

If I understand this correctly, you agreed to a square foot price just for labor and they are supplying all needed materials. So it wouldn't matter what type of ridge they furnish your labor price would still remain the same. We charge by the square foot for the basic roofing including the ridge and waste. We use 25 yr. 3-tabs for the ridge included with the lowest possible bid. If they want hip and ridge then they will have to pay extra for the materials AND the Labor. Anyways back to your question. If you do a job by the square then however many squares are used is what you should get paid for. I mean it is what it is. lol The hip and ridge is the slowest part of the job. Why in the world would you do it for free? Sounds to me like you didn't measure this job for yourself and just accepted what they told you since it really didn't seem like it mattered because you would be paid X amount per squares used regardless if the job ran over OR under. They are overbudget because of their own miscalculations and now are looking for a way to lower the costs at your expense naturally. That would be totally unacceptable to me. Best of Luck! ;)

March 12, 2010 at 1:01 a.m.

egg

I disagree about the opposite for shingles. Hip and ridge is always extra. The way prices are now, it matters what kind of ridge. Cut units, standard ridge, doubled ridge, or pre-manufactured contoured ridge; what exactly is the assumption? Can be big bucks to go giving away on a tight bid. You pay me enough per square (of field) and I'll give you anything you want. You want a tight price and everything has to get itemized. I charge for starter. In the old days I did exactly what Steve did. 100 lineal feet was bid as one square. Not any longer, although depending on what the spec is, it might still fall into that range. I like to buy my vehicles by the lineal foot, but they're not like roofs. With them, you know exactly what you're getting. I thought I got gyped on the last one. It was the right length, but only two feet wide. I was getting all up in arms until I realized it was a rocket.

March 11, 2010 at 9:35 p.m.

TomB

A sq. Ft. is a sq. ft....The customer/avg. Joe, isn't a roofer, and is not typically privy to any particular lingo, or specific methods utilized by a particular trade or craft....When I buy a gallon of gasoline at the filling station, I pay for the gallon of gas that went through the meter at the pump & into my tank....I wouldn't take kindly if the station owner said I had to buy 1.1 gallons because .10 gallon get's utilized through evaporation, spillage, what-have-you....He may have purchased 21 gallons so as to provide 20 gallons to the customer....Don't know if that makes sense to you...It's the best I could come up with....

That's why I never quote a per sq. or per SF price.....I figure the job, then divide the total bid by the actual "measured", (or as I refer the "gross footage"); And, whalla....thar ya have the "Per SF" price.

March 11, 2010 at 5:45 p.m.

Old School

Hey, give away whatever you want, but when I do something by the square, or bundle or whatever, I charge for every bundle I apply. Ridges are in bundles and so are the starters. What is the big mystry?

March 11, 2010 at 3:11 p.m.

Jed

Did'nt we do this already? The tile roof right? Hip 'n' ridge is NOT included. Unless of course they tell you before hand. For a shingle roof the opposite applies.

March 11, 2010 at 12:38 p.m.

ROBERTS

yes vaa but when the job is bid as a per sq. foot price and job was bigger than they thought. they are paying for extra tile they just wanted me to get 10 opinions as if ridge and hip are considered sq. feet

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

APOC - Banner - 3x Points - June
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo