Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Opinions Needed

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike M.

I buy strictly from one supplier, I buy more roofing materials than any other roofing contractor in the area. I get a discount due to volumn I do with the supplier. , as do all the other roofing contractors. My discount is no more , or no less than all the others, which is fine with me. Today I found out that one of my competetors was paying nearly $3.oo less per bundle for 30 year than I was. , adds up to $9.00 per square. Doesn't seem like a lot, but over the course of the year adds up to quite a lot. The bad part is , not just the money, but now I feel I cannot trust the supplier. He called me and said, "oh, the guy asked for a break on costs just on this one job, so I went ahead and gave it to him". To make matters worse the other contractor was getting this discount on a job I had bid on also, so it undermined my bid in my opinion. My question, would you continue with the same supplier? Would you take his word that this was just a one time thing he did?>>>

March 18, 2010 at 7:38 p.m.

Mike M.

Mike M. Said: I buy strictly from one supplier, I buy more roofing materials than any other roofing contractor in the area. I get a discount due to volumn I do with the supplier. , as do all the other roofing contractors. My discount is no more , or no less than all the others, which is fine with me. Today I found out that one of my competetors was paying nearly $3.oo less per bundle for 30 year than I was. , adds up to $9.00 per square. Doesnt seem like a lot, but over the course of the year adds up to quite a lot. The bad part is , not just the money, but now I feel I cannot trust the supplier. He called me and said, oh, the guy asked for a break on costs just on this one job, so I went ahead and gave it to him. To make matters worse the other contractor was getting this discount on a job I had bid on also, so it undermined my bid in my opinion. My question, would you continue with the same supplier? Would you take his word that this was just a one time thing he did?

March 18, 2010 at 7:38 p.m.

Mike M.

Mike M. Said: I buy strictly from one supplier, I buy more roofing materials than any other roofing contractor in the area. I get a discount due to volumn I do with the supplier. , as do all the other roofing contractors. My discount is no more , or no less than all the others, which is fine with me. Today I found out that one of my competetors was paying nearly $3.oo less per bundle for 30 year than I was. , adds up to $9.00 per square. Doesnt seem like a lot, but over the course of the year adds up to quite a lot. The bad part is , not just the money, but now I feel I cannot trust the supplier. He called me and said, oh, the guy asked for a break on costs just on this one job, so I went ahead and gave it to him. To make matters worse the other contractor was getting this discount on a job I had bid on also, so it undermined my bid in my opinion. My question, would you continue with the same supplier? Would you take his word that this was just a one time thing he did?

September 18, 2009 at 1:28 p.m.

Jed

Agreed. I would never keep all my eggs in one basket. Here I shop between Bradco, ABC, and Advanced Roofing Products.

500sq of Thirty yr Timberlines. Bradco $76.50 sq Advanced $83.50. ...........One phone call saved us three and a half grand.>>>

September 18, 2009 at 1:00 p.m.

JET

Suppliers (and their "reps") are the biggest whores in world, believe me. They'd sell their Mother for another sale. ALWAYS shop.......ALWAYS.

JET>>>

September 17, 2009 at 8:23 p.m.

seen-it-all

lanny: Convoy Supply, it's a weird thing because on occasion I've had to pull material out of a B.C. mainland branch to do a project and the prices on the mainland are always higher. I order through the Nanaimo branch to get the pricing and pick up where I'm doing the work. There is an independent lumber yard on Vancouver Island that is the main competition for Convoy plus Roofmart and Steel Bros. which has kept the price down. They probably make it up on accessories.>>>

September 17, 2009 at 1:58 p.m.

seen-it-all

Lanny: I'm on Vancouver Island, Nanaimo to be exact. These prices make no sense at all when you consider the shipping costs across Georgia Strait and over to the Island. Last year I ordered 570 sq of GAF Timberline 40 year and got them landed in the yard at $51.00 a square.>>>

September 15, 2009 at 9:58 p.m.

seen-it-all

I had an instance about 6 years ago where a homeowner-exbuilder was quoted a price that was lower than mine. I had bid the job for a house that he had just built for his son. When I gave him the quote he said I was charging a lot for labour as I was probably paying less than $40 a square for shingles. I told him that the 30 year fibreglass were $45 a square plus tax and he laughed and said he could get them for $42.50 at the same supplier. I called him on it and he showed me a quote from the suppliers salesman. Almost all the prices for the accessories were also cheaper than what I was paying.

I booked an appointment with the branch manager and the salesman and told them what happened. The salesman had the excuse that this was an old customer that he was doing a favor for and was a one time occurance. I told them that unless they lowered their price to match the contractors, I would shop elsewhere. I ended up with a new pricing schedule at $42.50 a square from there on in.

The salesman became the branch manager about a year later and we have an excellent working relationship. I still only pay $48 a square for 30 year laminated fiberglass Pabco Premier and $52 a square for Landmark 35 year.>>>

September 15, 2009 at 8:17 p.m.

TomB

WEbmaster Steve; Maybe it's just an ethical thing or possibly particular state regulations/laws....But I was told several times over the years that a supplier must quote the same price if it's on a particular job/project....If word gets out, it could be dissastorous for the supplier.....Just on the ethical issue alone....>>>

September 15, 2009 at 7:17 p.m.

Mike M.

I appreciate everyones input, I do have another supplier who hounds me constantly, I will definately will be giving him a shot at backing up his sales pitch, the big thing besides price ia service, and we need on time deliveries daily. He says they will not have a problem keeping up with our demand, but I am not too sure, as they are 45 miles from our market area. Yet, I still think it is worth the effort to try them. I have been with the same supplier for 15 years, and I guess I am sort of set in my ways now. but I considered what just happpened a breach of trust, above the monetary element of this, and when you add both together, it is enough to make me switch suppliers. I just can't figure, I do five times the volumn as the contractor who had the lower purchase prices, and I always pay my monthly bill on time, never been late.>>>

September 15, 2009 at 5:51 p.m.

jfreynik

I always call several suppliers before ordering any shingle or copper. as far as service they are all the same. I find when one is lower like say Bradco gives me a price of $3.00 a pound on copper I'll take that # and and call my other supplier and tell them to beat it. And they do almost every time. One thing I do is tell them up front to give me there very best price up front because I don't have time for games. I always pay my bills on time and that helps with leverage to get better prices.>>>

September 15, 2009 at 5:37 p.m.

becky

I would call the supplier and tell him since he can give discounts to someone else that you can shop somewhere else now. If he wants your business he has to be competitive with his prices. Remember that old saying don't put all your eggs in one basket. It seems to apply with this story as well.>>>

September 15, 2009 at 5:02 p.m.

OLE Willie

The Yellow pages is the same way. Everyone pays different prices for the same size ads! lol Its about whats the most we can get? But then again isn't that the way us Contractors are also? lol $10 per square inluding tax is a lot of money. If the average house is 30 sq. then its $300 per job. Do 100 jobs a year thats $ 30,000!!! That'll buy you a nice new truck paid for in one year! Yikes! ABC supply used to start me off at some fairly low pricing and then raise the pricing a little at a time over a few months without my knowledge to get me where they wanted me. Then i would call and complain and they would drop the pricing back down only to just repeat the process all over again! lol I looked into buying direct from the manufacurer but they require X amount of warehouse space ( which wouldnt be a problem to get for the savings ) But they also gave me the Ole " Were not looking for any more suppliers in your area at this time " Routine! :angry:>>>

September 15, 2009 at 4:46 p.m.

Roof Doctors USA

Check other suppliers prices. Business is business. But remember you're buying more than just materials. Customer service and convenience must be taken into account.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS Trends 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June