User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

of roofers life pain

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

upchurch

SWEAT dripping off me. man it looks just like mud. for it seams like only yesterday I was a young roofing stud.my skin looks like old leather.my knees pop and crack. now please don't get me started on this old roofers back.im just an old roofer some say that im a fool. tryin to make a living with just these two hands and my tools.my youth all used up now.its to late to change.so ill head for the ladder. cause now its startin to rain. dang this pain in my body from jobs and years gone by.as my wife looks at our checkbook. i pray that she wont cry. the winters come to quickly. and were not ready once again. i look at our bills and wonder. why it don't sink in? so ill strap on my back brace.and crack my fingers so they work. and I pray the guy I work for today.is not some kind of jerk! lord please smile upon me if only you will.as I reach into my pocket.to grab another pill. i see them every day now. younger roofers with much less skill. they look at me and say.man hes over the hill. but look closely.at this wrinkled face son. for your time will come to fast. for most roofers make about fifty and they put us under grass. i think about my dad quite often. grandpa and roofers gone on before. the trade means a great deal to me.as I draw closer to the final door. big jim john and jerry dave and gene and thad. i learned the trade from you men. and for this im truly glad. cell phones and files and gps. these days that's what its all about. today guys think their roofers because they can move a mouse. ive tried the new ways my brothers. i just cant adapt.so ill just set and ponder as i bounce my grandson on this old roofers lap.bill upchurch 3rd gen.journeymen.roofer.

May 27, 2015 at 2:34 p.m.

upchurch

upchurch Said: SWEAT dripping off me. man it looks just like mud. for it seams like only yesterday I was a young roofing stud.my skin looks like old leather.my knees pop and crack. now please dont get me started on this old roofers back.im just an old roofer some say that im a fool. tryin to make a living with just these two hands and my tools.my youth all used up now.its to late to change.so ill head for the ladder. cause now its startin to rain. dang this pain in my body from jobs and years gone by.as my wife looks at our checkbook. i pray that she wont cry. the winters come to quickly. and were not ready once again. i look at our bills and wonder. why it dont sink in? so ill strap on my back brace.and crack my fingers so they work. and I pray the guy I work for today.is not some kind of jerk! lord please smile upon me if only you will.as I reach into my pocket.to grab another pill. i see them every day now. younger roofers with much less skill. they look at me and say.man hes over the hill. but look closely.at this wrinkled face son. for your time will come to fast. for most roofers make about fifty and they put us under grass. i think about my dad quite often. grandpa and roofers gone on before. the trade means a great deal to me.as I draw closer to the final door. big jim john and jerry dave and gene and thad. i learned the trade from you men. and for this im truly glad. cell phones and files and gps. these days thats what its all about. today guys think their roofers because they can move a mouse. ive tried the new ways my brothers. i just cant adapt.so ill just set and ponder as i bounce my grandson on this old roofers lap.bill upchurch 3rd gen.journeymen.roofer.

May 21, 2015 at 8:39 a.m.

TomB

That's correct.....

May 21, 2015 at 8:15 a.m.

CIAK

TomB Said: Ran across a quote the other day. It was one of those days I was dealing with idiotic govt/bureaucratic nonsense.

The authors name was unfamiliar to me - Do remember he lived up-around eggs area....Went something like;

Were buried beneath the weight of information, thats confused with knowledge; Quantity confused with abundance - Wealth confused with happiness - Were like monkeys with money & guns

Isnt that the truth?

Tom Waits quote.

B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

May 20, 2015 at 12:08 p.m.

TomB

Ran across a quote the other day. It was one of those days I was dealing with idiotic gov't/bureaucratic nonsense.

The author's name was unfamiliar to me - Do remember he lived up-around eggs' area....Went something like;

"We're buried beneath the weight of information, that's confused with knowledge; Quantity confused with abundance - Wealth confused with happiness - We're like monkey's with money & guns"

Isn't that the truth?

May 19, 2015 at 9:23 p.m.

Lefty1

Bill, I have always liked to hear the stories of true grit. Kept me going in the hard times and good times.

Gleaned information from all the stories.

Never did the mocho shit to prove I was a tough guy. Out worked anyone that was on the job with me. Wore a long pants and a shirt everyday. Sat down most of the time to tear-off and shingle. Jacked every roof from 7 on up. Put a foot board on ever roof. Never carried 2 bundles at a time. Never drank ice cold drinks.

Always loved asking the young guys if they were embarassed. They would always ask about what? I would say that a man twice your age out works you. They would always try to keep up. The amazing thing was they would not copy what I did. They would keep doing things the way they always did.

Running a successful business is the hardest thing I have done. Always watched the successful businesses and copied what they did.

I keep trying to teach/reteach another guy a trade and to fit into our culture.

I will be 60 in August. Do not feel 60, not even close. When most are thinking about slowing down, I am just getting going.

May 18, 2015 at 11:13 p.m.

tinner666

A bit of pain out there. :laugh:

May 18, 2015 at 10:52 p.m.

Mike H

I enjoyed that a lot Bill. Not nearly so negative as you last one. Wisdom in here for the young guys that would listen. I know most won't, but we can hope.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WTI - Banner Ad - Apprentice Podcast 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest