User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

OC Durations?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

Any of you used OC Durations? What did you think of them? I used them the first time a couple of months ago....and have used them every since.

I was pretty impressed with how well they seal, it's like sticking ice shield together. I do wonder about them sealing "too well"...if you all follow me.

WHat you guys think......any opinions?>>>

August 20, 2009 at 2:21 p.m.

CIAK

tico That was the concern with staples also . The over driven part I mean . Guns can be set with way to much pressure and blow divots every where. Not a warrantied item in that respect. Improper installs .>>>

August 19, 2009 at 10:39 p.m.

tico

I had to do several repairs for A co. in ATL that I was inspecting for.I would get there early and break seals that needed breaking.on one big multi repair I toof strips of felt,after breaking the seal I'd barrier the shingles. I use my flat bar and set it on the shingle and tap it several times and it would pretty much lend A hand to the seal breaking.then the 'ol scraper to finish it. you've always gotta be extra careful anymore with shingles. they have greatly improved the adhesive. now, the thing about the nails is the over penetration of nails.it creates A divit if you will. we all know that water will wick under the shingle and being that the Duration is 2 continuous strips,when the nail is over set the water actually pools there. on many of these repairs I had rusty nails from roofs done in 2008's hailstorm. in the other Duration thread someone stated that the OC rep came out and disqualified the warranty due to the wrong nail. galvanized is what all the boxes say and I've yet to see zincs by the case on any job I was inspecting. it appears they are gonna give themselves an out no matter what.>>>

August 19, 2009 at 11:58 a.m.

Terry D

We have used them quite a bit. Put 350 sq. on an assisted living center last summer.

Yes they do seal quickly.

There was a discussion here not too long ago about problems with the nail heads rusting. From what I recall, any moisture that gets to the nail head cannot evaporate because of the seal and rusts the nail head. We have not seen that problem but since we have no jobs older than 2 years we can't evaluate them properly.

What the guys are concerned with is if you have to loosen them for any reason, especially in the summer, will it be possible to break the seal without tearing the shingle? You might have a fighting chance on cool days but during the summer... good luck.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WTI - Banner Ad - Apprentice Podcast 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar