User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

No delivery

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

seen-it-all

Got a roof top delivery last week and the driver notified me that he could not roof top the material unless I was tied off with a rope and harness. This applies to everyone including home owners themselves. I guess big brother (Worksafe BC) told the shingle distributor they would be liable for fines if anyone on the roof is not tied off. $2500.00 first time offence. Can't even operate as a lone wolf anymore without bureaucracy sticking their nose into my life.

June 16, 2016 at 7:46 p.m.

Old School

So we went from no rooftop delivery to hippy chicks taking drugs, to quitting working because it is no use anymore. That makes a lot of sense. Interesting reading to see the topic turn. Also interesting to know what the root cause of all of this is and to watch people dance around it blaming everything else under the sun. Maybe you haven't noticed, but if you are gay, or brown or black, or on welfare or from any other race but the white folk, you are paid and encouraged, even if you are breaking the law. If you are white male, or someone that advocates actually working for a living, then you are the problem and NOTHING is too bad to happen to you; in fact, you must deserve it. If Mexico d war on the U. S. and attacked across the border with a force of 100,000 armed military, we would call that an act of war. If they send 30 million or 40 million across the border, they demand that WE protect them and feed them and pay for their every need. Then we give them the right to vote themselves more. Is our government nuts, or is it deliberate. Like it or not fellas, there is a war being waged against the white men all over the world and we have pretty much lost it. In about 1900, one out of every three people in the world were white and now it is about 1 out of 16. If that isn't genocide, please tell me what the definition is!

June 16, 2016 at 5:27 p.m.

natty

twill59 Said: Yes Clover, its like the 1980s with the illegals....a pallet of shingles dropped in the driveway. Sometimes a couple of weeks before they even start the job. Its called Spiking the Job (in english )

I remember in the early 80s when the distributors first started delivery with a fork lift. Before that, they delivered by hand at the curb. I would always pick up my material at the distributor. I could carry 2 pallets in my 3/4ton.

And you can't spike the job anymore around here without the material getting stolen. There is a big market in North Texas for seconds.

June 16, 2016 at 2:53 p.m.

The SEAN

Roofing 33 years now and I've never been tied off or worn a harness. and I'm getting too old to carry them up on the roof. I'd have to quit roofing.

June 16, 2016 at 9:41 a.m.

seen-it-all

Hard to believe that all those "hippy chicks" strung out on LSD in the late '60's are now all in their '70's and collecting old age security cheques Seen one the other day that lives across the street from the roof I'm doing. Skinny as a rake, all wrinkled up and wearing flowered leggings and a floppy leather hat.

June 16, 2016 at 6:11 a.m.

clvr83

I remember where I was at when I first found out that a large percentage of storm central US doesn't use boom trucks for rooftop delivery. It was about two to three years ago. I was right here in this same chair looking at this very monitor, probably drinking coffee just as I am right now. Thinking WTF!

Now I'm thinking it again. (about the original topic, and people chewing on dead people hair)

June 15, 2016 at 9:36 a.m.

seen-it-all

This fentanyl craze is quite amazing when you consider that people who use the fentanyl patch for slow release pain medication can sell their used patch for big bucks to some skid who will cut it up and chew it for a high. There was a case where someone was selling patches peeled off deseased people at the mortuary. The investigators said the patches had body hair all over them and the addicts would chew them and spit out the hair. Pretty desperate situation.

June 14, 2016 at 6:31 p.m.

seen-it-all

So they fine me for no fall protection on the premise that they are helping me stay safe in a high risk activity.

So do they fine the drug addict when they see him strung out on crack or fentanyl. There has been over 200 fentanyl deaths around here in the past 6 months. High risk activity and do they get fined, no, they get brand new wet housing they can live in for practically free with alarms in each room they can push if they are overdosing.

Well enough of ranting, I have to stick a needle in my arm and get a new place to live.

June 14, 2016 at 3:47 p.m.

natty

I don't think any distributor in North Texas provides rooftop delivery. I can't imagine the liability problem especially with all of the poor framing around here.

Insurance is not required in Texas and I don't think many roofers in Texas even carry it. I have heard of OSHA inspections but I have never seen it.

I think insurance is nothing but a racket and I refuse to get it. That is why I decided a long time ago to just remain a lone wolf. I don't even carry homeowner's insurance and refuse Obamacare. I get auto liability only to stay out of car jail.

June 14, 2016 at 9:36 a.m.

wywoody

By far, the most dangerous thing I do is install/takedown the bracket and safety ropes. When I work by myself, I only install them as needed, maybe twice a week. With employees, I install that many every day.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beacon - Banner Ad - This is Roofing School! (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad