English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

new roof

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

jfreynik

I Just added this roof to my home. I built it in my shop and installed it in less then 16 hours. Made it out of scrap around the shop.>>>

September 9, 2009 at 8:33 p.m.

jfreynik

About 50 ft. The way I do them the metal is floating. The trim piece on the front of the pole has a 1 inch flange that the gutter metal hooks on to. The joints have cleats and the top is not nailed into so it can move with out restriction.I never had one fail yet. If you notice the way it's laid out the gutter is coarsed between the rows of slate. So even if the joint were to fail the slate roof is in fact solid through. The only weak link is where the tempered screws are put in to the rafters.>>>

September 8, 2009 at 2:16 a.m.

egg

That's one of those situations where they hope like hell they hired a guy who won't leave them with joints that pop loose later. That would be a boon to a guy like you who has such a good track record. What's the farthest you'll go without an expansion joint?>>>

September 7, 2009 at 9:07 p.m.

Roof Doctors USA

Nice looking roof. What style corbels are they?>>>

September 7, 2009 at 8:48 p.m.

JWilliams

excellent work my friend.>>>

September 7, 2009 at 7:37 p.m.

jfreynik

This roof had a 12 ft. rafter so I felt a 2X4 would work just fine. In fact we had some gully washer rains during this install and they took all the water fine. I have used 2X6 cut down to 5 inches on larger roofs. One has to consider the size and volume of water it will have to carry. I've installed one that was over 100 ft but I put in 4 outlets through a wide soffit.>>>

September 7, 2009 at 6:08 p.m.

wywoody

Is 30' the limit of a run you can do without having to go with a taller profile with this system?>>>

September 7, 2009 at 5:11 p.m.

jfreynik

Yes they are hard but not impossible to repair. But they dont see much weather or abuse so mostly they last a long time without any problems. The gutter has what I call fall boards cut and laid in the inside. Pitched from the middle to the outlet. the poles are set straight to the naked eye(I put a slight drop to the outlet to help push the water. you can't see it from the ground). They work great and a good money maker for me.>>>

September 6, 2009 at 8:37 p.m.

Old School

I see that the gutter has pitch built into it, but is the 2 x 2 that you screwed through the slates pitched too? Hard to see in the picture.

It would be a bitch to repair the slates beneath that puppy if one was broken.>>>

September 6, 2009 at 8:24 a.m.

jfreynik

Yes these are common in the area were I live. Also called Philadelphia gutters or Yankee gutters. Yes the down spout goes through the sofit. As far as PT 2X4 it's not needed because water cant get to it and I am worried about the corrosive effect it would have on fasteners and the copper. Another plus with this system is you have a toe board installed and it makes repairs a lot easier in the future.>>>

September 6, 2009 at 7:39 a.m.

wywoody

That's an interesting gutter system. Is that common there? Does the downspout go down through the soffit?

I was curious why you didn't use pt for the 2x2. I'm not saying it should have been or needs it, it's just that it wouldn't have been that much more (less than $20) to have used it.>>>

September 6, 2009 at 7:35 a.m.

jfreynik

Vaa that's the way theses type go on. The soil pipe is going to be removed latter when the old part of the house is remodeled. These gutters act as snow guards an gutters in one also. there was over 100 ft. the slate roof was done about 10 years ago by another roofer and it was done very poorly. I had a lot of repair work to do on it. They used the old 100 year old lath over and it was mostly rotten and there was very poor nailing. A lot of broken slate and broke through nails.>>>

September 5, 2009 at 8:40 p.m.

Old School

Not too shabby!>>>

September 5, 2009 at 2:34 p.m.

kage

Man,I like those gutters >>>

September 5, 2009 at 7:18 a.m.

jfreynik

>>>

September 5, 2009 at 7:16 a.m.

jfreynik

some new copper pole gutters I did Last Week>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Glo Group - Banner Ad - Leverage Your Team to Scale Your Business - RLW Registration
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June