User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

New Product Line?............

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

JET

Have any of you guys looked into radiant barrier insulation? We installed it back in the 80's when we did a lot of other energy saving products such as replacement windows, insulated siding, etc. I just got my electric bill this month and it was almost $400 :huh: :huh: so I ordered two rolls of the stuff off the net and will install it next week. My son did his house and another one. He told me the guy he did the install for said he was quoted almost $5K :ohmy: :ohmy: to do his 2500 sq. ft. attic area. Materials are dirt cheap so the only real expense is labor and we've all got that covered........right? I'm going to monitor our bill for 30 days to be able to show the difference it makes. We're also authorized contractors for the two big utility companies here and I think this stuff also qualifies for the Federal Energy Tax Credit. You guys might look into this service, utility costs are a big part of a homeowner's monthly nut.

JET

July 8, 2010 at 9:15 a.m.

JET

tico Said: Jet,is this an in attic installation you are doing?

Yep.......goes in the attic space area and is stapled to the rafters or layed across the fiberglass insulation. We're doing my house tomorrow morning.......early. I don't advocated radiant barrier sheeting at all and highly doubt it is as effective in reducing attic temperatures. I also suspect it will void shingle warranties because shingle mfg. are the worst when it comes to backing out of warranty claims.......for ANY reason they can come up with.

We have disclaimer statements on all of our literature pertaining to tax credit applications.........another "no brainer".

JET

July 8, 2010 at 6:16 a.m.

jimAKAblue

Dr. Rob Said: Radiant barriers work well if they are not dirty and most attics are dusty. Many of them void manufacturers warranties on shingles unless you get a technical bulleting. LP Techshield is the way to go on the sheating. The good ones have a 97% emissivity factor. The foil in the attic is a nightmare to install and doesnt work right unless it is cleaned annually.

The spray paint is worthless and voids all warranties from manufacturers.

Polaralum is a felt that goes on under the shingles *white side up) that is a great alternative and a wonderful upcharge.

Most insurance carriers will pay you for a redo after the 2nd install, but theres a cute way to get them approved after the 1st re-roof.

You have to be careful when quoting tax credits - youre a roofer not a cpa.

Take your time and study up before becoming a green roofer...

What is a "redo"? What is the cute way to get them approved after the 1st re roof?

July 7, 2010 at 10:54 p.m.

Dr. Rob

Radiant barriers work well if they are not dirty and most attics are dusty. Many of them void manufacturers warranties on shingles unless you get a technical bulleting. LP Techshield is the way to go on the sheating. The good ones have a 97% emissivity factor. The foil in the attic is a nightmare to install and doesn't work right unless it is cleaned annually.

The spray paint is worthless and voids all warranties from manufacturers.

Polaralum is a felt that goes on under the shingles *white side up) that is a great alternative and a wonderful upcharge.

Most insurance carriers will pay you for a redo after the 2nd install, but there's a cute way to get them approved after the 1st re-roof.

You have to be careful when quoting tax credits - you're a roofer not a cpa.

Take your time and study up before becoming a "green" roofer...

July 7, 2010 at 9:46 a.m.

tico

Jet,is this an in attic installation you are doing?

July 7, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.

JET

This product absolutely works, we know that for a fact. As far a shingle damage I sincerely doubt that to be a credible claim especially with the foil installed on the rafters in the attic area. Everyone I've shown this product to wants to place an order. Since I've not yet done my house (it will be done this week) I don't want to go whole hog on advertising etc. Just Google radiant barrier insulation and see what comes up, you'll be amazed.

JET

July 6, 2010 at 9:02 p.m.

CIAK

To answer my own question and confirm what Jet suspected ......

Will Radiant Barriers Cause Roof Shingles to Deteriorate?

Testing done by the Florida Solar Energy Center has shown that roof shingle temperatures do increase between 5 and 10 deg F when radiant barriers are installed under the roof deck. The color of asphalt shingles has more of an effect on shingle temperature than the presence of a radiant barrier. No shingle manufacturer limits their warranty when combined with radiant barrier in the roof system Is this really a roofing construction forum? What do you think ? Can you answer that question ? I didn't read most of this .Here is the bible of Radiant Barriers etc.http://www.rimainternational.org/pdf/handbook.pdf

July 6, 2010 at 8:42 p.m.

jimAKAblue

Hmmm....now that you've resurrected this thread, I noticed that there are unresolved questions.

Is this really a roofing construction forum?

July 6, 2010 at 4:54 p.m.

CIAK

Radiant Barriers by Roof Insulation Manufactures Association International....

Claims of exaggerated Savings on your Energy Bill

Although Consumers can expect energy savings after installing radiant barriers in their attics exact savings are difficult to predict because there are many factors that affect energy consumption. The factors include , but are not limited to building orientation occupant lifestyle and climate. Benefit is derived when a radiant barrier is installed above the roof deck and below the roofing felt . No benefit is derived when a radiant barrier is installed with its low e surface in complete and direct contact with other materials.

June 20, 2010 at 9:22 p.m.

jimAKAblue

JET Said: I think it fell out of favor back then because there were rumors that it baked the shingle roofs from the inside out. I dunno about that claim and doubt its validity. The price for the two rolls was around $250. Ill pay my crew a days pay to install it so Ill have around a grand in the deal. If I can sell this deal for 5X mark-up plus get the customer $1500 back its a no-brainer, were going for it.

JET

What does 5x markup mean?

Does that mean that you have 1k cost and will sell for 5k?

If so, I like the numbers.

How do you get the stuff down into the 6" spaces near the walls?

June 19, 2010 at 1:36 p.m.

JET

I think it fell out of favor back then because there were rumors that it baked the shingle roofs from the inside out. I dunno about that claim and doubt it's validity. The price for the two rolls was around $250. I'll pay my crew a day's pay to install it so I'll have around a grand in the deal. If I can sell this deal for 5X mark-up plus get the customer $1500 back it's a no-brainer, we're going for it.

JET

June 18, 2010 at 3:51 p.m.

CIAK

I hear you JET. After your Topic I'm thinking of putting this in my last rental to test it . I think it was around 2000 I put( Eagle Shield ?) under metal roofs draped over the rafters . What is the performance with shingles . Concerned it may ruin the back side ? It would be fantastic to find some product that could save energy cost. If it works there I'll use it on my own home. Have any data on performance ???? Good topic JET B) :) :) B)

June 18, 2010 at 12:11 p.m.

jcagle9595

Yep, I remember a lot of hype about the radiant barrier years ago. Not lately though, wonder why?

Now there's a lot of osb sheathing going down with a foil already laminated to one side(Polar Board for one). The principle is different obviously than the foil that lays flat on the batt or blown insulation. Seems like the rolled foil would be more effective. Maybe a combo of both?

How much did the rolls of foil cost you, JET?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

TAMKO - Banner Ad - Titan Product of the Year
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising