User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Negotiating techniques

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Alba

It seems like most of you guys here do residential roofing and have dealt with insurance adjusters at some point.In my limited time in this line of work I've seen them approving roofing claims that don't have a lot of damage and turning down others in the same shape or worse.What's the best way to deal with them?

December 28, 2009 at 1:09 p.m.

Jack-Legge

ARRRRRRRR, WELL SHIVER ME MONAYS THER , we says for shure. Tha best way ole Jack has found to deel with them adjusters, is at the point of me blade ther....wurks quite well ther , it does.

when that dont git us nowhers, we slip upon tha ole victums.....er....homeowners roof n we simply help Mister Wind disloge a few more of tha tabbers ther....arrrr, wurks wunders, it does.

December 20, 2009 at 9:54 a.m.

pnunes

Take lots of pictures showing interior damage,exterior damage in your report mention the risks including MOLD , additional interior damage

December 19, 2009 at 5:40 p.m.

Alba

Minn and Ciak. Thanks for your advice.You both make good points :)

December 19, 2009 at 1:15 p.m.

CIAK

Albo Minn has some good points .I don't agree with some of them nonetheless, what he didn't tell you was the first questions to the adjuster is how many claims is he currently handling. That would be the beginning of the negotiation along with a discussion of the scope of the damage. The adjuster "gets points" from a QCR based on the number of settlements with sound recommendations of the settlement. This is how the adjuster continues his good ratings . Settling claims at a minimal but satisfactory amount is a factor that is balanced by needing to process and dispose of the number of claims outstanding. It doesn't play well on the adjuster to hold a lot of claims in his cue . The insurance company's want them settled

December 19, 2009 at 6:36 a.m.

CIAK

Min I do want to thank you for the idea that I could have the proceeds from that claim made out to me personally . ( Topic ) " Fire at one of my last rental " I was sceptical at first was advised by council that it couldn't be done. Perseverance paid off. I was W-9nd for the proceeds . As far as a 20 year old toilet etc . When I bought the property I gutted it and remodeled it inside and out . So most of what was old ...now new before the fire and after a phoenix has arisen out of the ashes. B) ;) :) :) B) I paid my premiums and my contract was full filled to the letter . The insurance company's can drive local construction + auto economy's . How H/Os responds to that is not the insurance company's fault. If a H/O turns in a claim and is paid for it . The insurance company is following the contract between them and H/Os . If it is bogus . The blame lies as much or more on the H/Os greed not the Insurance company . IMO B) ;) B)

December 18, 2009 at 6:02 p.m.

CIAK

Another situation maybe the shingles are not up to UL2218. It could be the suppliers don't want to stock UL2218 materials because they won't be able to sell the other junk in hail areas after each storm . The H/Os should be demanding UL2218 to stop two or three roofs within a ten year period . Lobby your community to mandate UL2218 and rid the market of junk shingles, Prohibit them by a performance criteria with code and enforcement !!! Not to put to fine a point on it, costs to the H/Os is the amount of the deductible they carry. Insurance may be there, when and if needed. However with all the needless losses you are seeing , caused by not using impact UL2218 roofing products, the question is whether H/Os will be able to afford the premiums. That in a nutshell is the problem you are facing . I would discus's with the H/Os about using UL2218 products before they make a decision. Inform the H/Os of these products. H/Os generally make the right choice . IMO

December 18, 2009 at 6:32 a.m.

CIAK

Minn There is an interesting history of Die Hagelversicherung -- "Hail Insurance." Hail insurance first policy was written in 1733. Minn you might have alot in common with Kant, who in 1774, published ,Toward the Development of a Philosophical Position on Hail Insurance ,Zur Entwicklung einer philsophischen Stellungnahme über die Hagelversicherung. Prussian government outlawed hail insurance in 1778. You can read about it in the aforementioned book. Or you can read a review here http://andrewhammel.typepad.com/german_joys/2005/07/do_you_have_eno.html Enjoy B) ;) :) B)

Twill I believe you are begging to understand " Ciak " B) :laugh: :side: :silly: :woohoo: :side: :laugh: B)

December 17, 2009 at 4:41 p.m.

CIAK

Nope , No discrimination. Most of the less affluent policy holders go for price . They hope it doesn't happen to them . When something does happen , the deductible is much higher and exceed the cost of the repair or exclusion in the policy prevent the repair paid for by the insurance company . The people with the more expensive properties pay more for the coverage. savvy twill B) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :silly: :side: :woohoo: :side: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)

December 17, 2009 at 8:39 a.m.

roofrite

It looks like they discriminate against low income policy holders."

Alba I have seen this played out time and time again in several different states. You are exactly right. Those in more affluent areas are more likely to have claims approved. I have literally been on roofs with absolutely no damage where claims were approved in very affluent areas. On the other hand I have been on roofs where claims were denied in blighted areas and the damage was blatantly apparent. Although upon re-inspection the adjuster was easily persuaded to honor the claim. The fact is economic status and degree of sophistication do often times play a part in determining whether a claim is approved or denied. This disparity is appalling. Just another sad commentary on today's society.

December 17, 2009 at 6:48 a.m.

CIAK

This from refdesk , for those keeping score "Keep thy hook always baited, for a fish lurks ever in the most unlikely swim." - Ovid I don't expect twill to understand any of this . When I have a little time I will try to explain how it works best I can.

December 17, 2009 at 5:29 a.m.

OLE Willie

Well down here in the south its easy, if they pay the claim without any problems then we just accept it with a smile. If they give us any static, then we send Big Bubba out to meet their adjuster at the job site. If they don't immediately accept responsibility for the claim . Then Bubba wraps their feet and hands around a tree trunk, ties them together with a rope and kicks em in the azz with his steel toed camoflauge boots until they agree to pay off the claim in full. Then he makes them sign a legal document stating they will be paying the claim before he will untie them from the tree. Most homeowners just stand on the porch laughing. Its really no big deal!!! lol

December 16, 2009 at 10:28 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I say this....."If you have ever been in the U.S. Army, You know that if you owe them, they will make sure they get paid bcck. If they owe you, it will be up to you to say something, if you do not persist, you will never get it".

Motto is ...."If you want your claimto go through, you need to be persistant!"

December 16, 2009 at 6:37 p.m.

Alba

It looks like they discriminate against low income policy holders.

December 16, 2009 at 5:33 p.m.

Rusty

I have found most of the insurance guys to be fairly reasonable if I can get them to meet me back at the roof. I also do a very good roof eval for them to look at with photos to help them understand why they need to do a certain thing imo.

December 16, 2009 at 5:07 p.m.

tinner666

No real idea. I give them a price and sometimes I get the work. Especially if the client insists!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad