User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Most expensive roof per square....?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike H

I sent out the bid for a project recently that certainly has to be the priciest project, per square, that I've ever bid.... assuming the job is more than something like 5 squares.

total footprint about 30 square. remove penetrations and total roof surface is about 15 squares. There is a LOT of work not normally associated with a roof project, but all renovations to structure are under the roofing contract, and all are related to the roof in some degree.

Even using the 30 squares, it's over $13,000 per square.

Made me wonder what some of these copper roofs and major historical renovations must cost.

April 6, 2015 at 9:37 p.m.

bdub

Man what was i thinking?!? Just blew that last post. Most expensive roof per square by far is the one you have to keep replacing over and over.

April 6, 2015 at 9:24 p.m.

bdub

My current project 50 squares pitched roof 20 squares flat. Owner spent 200k to have someone put enviroshake last year. I ripped it off installed double battens, 18" wallaba shingles 4" exposure all hand nailed ss shingles all predrilled hand nailed lightning protection system 20oz copper flat lock on low slopes, spent almost 700k with me and counting. Just placed order for gutter accessories. 6" copper k style( house architecture called for it) 3" seamless round ds and elbows, inline cleanouts in every one. This the owners parents house btw.

John saw you call out another k style with round ds somewhere. I insisted. Architecture called for k style for sure but i told the owner k style can look nice, its the corrugated ds makes em look cheap. Saw a 5" ogee with 2" round ds on private island gave me the idea. Looked good to me. 2" wont cut it on this one but sure wish it would.

Low class to talk the above numbers but ive been biting my tongue since the topic started! Enviroshake is crap and roofer was too but owner wont sue for fear of "bad vibes". Also a fine home, a discerning man with class and very embarrassed he fell for enviroshake to begin with. Like i told him, the fake roofer just came with the fake product lol. Thats the best way to find em. Anyway old news now!

March 28, 2015 at 10:14 a.m.

grumpy

You beat me Mike, but not by much, I just sold a 936 sq ft for $120,000. That doesn't include permits which will be over $10k for street closure and crane.

tear off nights, temp in, then return aprox 1 month later and install 90 mil white EPDM w/ 30 year NDL warranty in down town Chicago.

January 22, 2015 at 12:41 p.m.

Mike H

Vaa Fakaosifolau Said: Hey MikeH, thought you might be interested in this one, as it has some connection to Fibertite I believe.

Perhaps. I have no way of knowing, but Seaman Corp. makes a tedlar fabric for those purposes. Different from Fibertite, but probably has a very similar fabric reinforcement. There are a couple companies that make product for those applications.

January 22, 2015 at 9:27 a.m.

wywoody

I did a repair about two weeks ago, replacing two broken tiles. I gave the owner the choice of having me replace the tiles with some I had in stock which were a different shade of brown than his for about $150, or driving 45 miles to get the exact match. He opted for me gettng the exact match (and 10 extra tiles) which drove the repair up to $457.

Since he had a small tile (150 per square), on a per square basis, this was $34,275. If I would have known how much per square I was making, I might have put in more effort, I probably only put in about $20,000 per square worth of effort.

January 21, 2015 at 11:44 p.m.

tinner666

I'm often $4,500.00 or so a square. Copper, and slate repairs. Some shingle repairs or partial roofs were around $800.00-$1,500.00 a sq.

January 21, 2015 at 11:16 p.m.

Lefty1

We repaired this wind damage. The cross also need to be rebuilt. This was about $7,000 a square. Without the schaffolding. I needed to supply the high lift. We needed to rent the high lift just to survey the damage. The pictures show how it was freezing in the morning. T-shirts in the afternoon.

January 21, 2015 at 7:11 p.m.

Mike H

Yeah, that's stuff I'm talking about. Our job has a whole new roof structure being built over another before the old gets removed, and obviously from the squares listed the work area is congested.

If a copper roof like that was to be built with all these other things, it would be way more than what our roof is, no doubt.

January 21, 2015 at 11:17 a.m.

SL8R

We completed a bell tower roof this summer in flat seam copper that was 12X12, just under $10,000. The church paid to have the bell removed and the tower was being repointed so we were able to work off the masons scaffold otherwise the cost would have been considerably more.

January 20, 2015 at 8:44 a.m.

wywoody

I once did a tiny roof on a clock tower that served as the symbol for a residential project. The roof was maybe a square-and-a-half done for around $3500. But the builder also footed the bill for a crane and scaffolding that would have easily doubled the price-per-square.

January 19, 2015 at 4:47 p.m.

clvr83

Those are the gut-wrenchers. I spend a little too long thinking about if I've got enough on the table, or if I should take a little off. Sometimes wondering if I even want the job answers that.

Although my highest/sq is a margin of that, I've often wondered the pricetag of those high profile projects.

January 19, 2015 at 4:41 p.m.

clvr83

:ohmy:

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS