Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

MOST COMMON CAUSE OF ROOF LEAKS?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

I just read n the internet that the most common cause of residential roof leaks is shingle damage. I disagree. I think the most common cause of roof leaks is from the flashings, roof to wall, backed up gutters and valleys. So who is right, some random article or me? I might add I am not a roofer so tell me roofers what do you think?

October 11, 2017 at 5:53 p.m.

Chuck2

Poor Workmanship! End of story!  :)

October 11, 2017 at 12:16 p.m.

Gman

In-ground pool?

October 11, 2017 at 6:45 a.m.

justinheber

I am having problem with the pool pump from last few weeks, also the slab beside the pool is also leaking. I am thinking to call the leak detection and repair company for help , can anyone here suggest some names of such firms.

March 30, 2012 at 7:04 p.m.

tico

I notice it's A language barrier. You ask, " are you A {fill in trade}" ? The reply is ALWAYS the same. " oh jes I eng goo roofing meng".

March 15, 2012 at 4:01 p.m.

TomB

Flashing issues it is.

wywoody....Most all the correct details have been available & previously practiced...It's just that we, (as an industry), continue to take short-cuts out of greed.

Debris accumulation is dramatically reduced or eliminated, if appropriate flashing/counter-flashing & tile placing techniques are practiced.

Not only tile. Up here in the mountains, most shake tear-offs reveal simple 'L'-metal side-walls...No step flashing!,,,Oh, but it's copper!

A lot of places in the west, still use L-metal w/comp at side-walls. it works w/so little rain/snow.

March 15, 2012 at 11:04 a.m.

vickie

Will a roof leak if its ugly? If it has no granules on it will it still not divert rain? With no granules to protect it, it's still water repellant asphalt or is it water logged paper?

March 15, 2012 at 8:23 a.m.

wywoody

As one who spends the majority of work time on tile leaks, I agree that clogging and damming are real issues with tile. They no doubt take up more of my time correcting them any other cause. But the equivalent of shingle damage, broken tile, is right up there as a cause of leaks. But fixing a broken tile takes far less time than, say, replacing a valley metal and repairing the underlayment below it, a very common repair that I do.

TomB, step flashing is definitely the superior system for sidewalls, then a channel flashing with a counterflashing above the tile to keep debris out and least desirable channel flashing alone. Unfortunately, when manufacturers give roofers the option of picking the sidewall flashings, too often they pick the easiest and cheapest (channel flashing alone).

Another common repair that I see is when the backpan above a chimney or slylight dumps the water to the sidewall channel instead of keeping the water above the tile. This overwhelms the channel and causes it to overflow or clog where it has to dump out over the tile.

As to blame on these type of issues, the workmanship may be perfect so you can't necessarily blame the roofer, the specs may be just as laid out by the installation guide, so the specifier is off the hook. That leaves the manufacturer or the TRI manual as the culprit.

March 15, 2012 at 7:44 a.m.

TomB

Of course w/step-flashing it most-likely wouldn't be an issue.....To reiterate; Your assumption is correct Vickie...Flashing issues are the predominant cause of leaks.

March 15, 2012 at 6:16 a.m.

tinner666

Here's more. Sooooo many dormer sides get closed at the window sill it isn't funny.

I little trimming with the Multi-Master and some more flashing.

March 15, 2012 at 6:07 a.m.

tinner666

"I guess as long as we're assuming premature failure I agree with what has been said already, though nobody but Vickie mentioned clogging of parts. In some tile systems (among others) that's a huge factor." I've had to take many Ludwicki apart and put them back on for that reason. Corners left on valley shingles causing clogs and leaks. Many valley repairs are a matter of just cutting the corners/tips off. :laugh: :huh: Slate debris in keyways. Channel flashing that's closed instead of leaving an inch open for water flow and/or the tops not clipped catching debris.

Incorrect.

Corrected.

March 14, 2012 at 9:21 p.m.

egg

We get a bit of that here with wind claims, Gerry. Wind can blow off shingles pretty well when they are on the south side and have no granules left.

March 14, 2012 at 9:20 p.m.

vickie

RoofGuy - said Rain. Almost made me laugh out loud. :laugh: Rockydog - incorrect installation of roof flashings, etc. is what I meant. I wished I would have saved that article.

March 14, 2012 at 9:16 p.m.

egg

I guess as long as we're assuming premature failure I agree with what has been said already, though nobody but Vickie mentioned clogging of parts. In some tile systems (among others) that's a huge factor.

But, then, as always it comes down to the intent of the question which provoked the discussion in the first place, so if we are speaking literally, and if we ascribe a liberal 30% for roofs which have premature problems, well then the remaining 70% (which presumably go full-term) do seem to fail from damage to the material albeit naturally-occurring damage.

In truth, including all the failures I have ever encountered, most were due to degradation of the material. Nonetheless, I still join everyone else in being suspicious of the original statement, and the greatest likelihood of leaks occurring is in the flashing zones, whether because of defective parts, badly-designed parts, or poorly installed parts, and that includes Rocky's perimeter metal, which is also flashing.

March 14, 2012 at 7:37 p.m.

tinner666

Improper workmanship at penetrations, valleys, walls, etc. Though only water resistant, and not water proof, the shingles themselves don't cause the leaks. Flashings are considered water proof, so they, themselves aren't the problem.

I have today's example right here.

I noticed a curious phenomenom today. Leaves hung on step flashing.

A little probing and I find the counter flashing has been cut and installed so it catchees water and guides it behind the step flashing to cause a leak.Several, in fact.

I cut the tips off squarely to stop this leaker.

March 14, 2012 at 7:15 p.m.

Rockydog

Hey Roofguy, at least we have one smart guy/gal in the group.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples