User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Metro Metal roofing

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

Clover knows, but you guys should really be looking into this product. I am typically ahead of the curve on most things roofing and we have been installing this for two years now. Not just anyone can do it and the margins are good. The home owners love it and the neighbors are jealous! It can't get much better than that.

https://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/6277297683583833281?authkey=Gv1sRgCJTJjpWNpYjxjwE#6277297755806315826

May 10, 2016 at 5:09 p.m.

Old School

Yeah, it takes as much time as it takes. On straight roofs, they go down fast. On the cut up ones, not so fast. I would imagine that with no granules on them they would cut easier. The granules dull the hell out of the saw blades.

May 10, 2016 at 7:31 a.m.

clvr83

Vaa: This is very comforting. Surprising too. Also, our screws don't have rubber washers with this system. Just a corrosion resistant expensive screw that is slightly embedded into the shingles coating system to help seal it.

If we have to face screw anything we seal it with polyurethane and cover it with granules.

I was also glad to hear that a nail had backed out because if nails worked fine, I could save a LOT of time rather than screwing.

OS: There is a guy on facebook posting a bunch of pictures of a bare steel shingle roof with hidden clips. They nail them down and are putting up 40+s squares a day with six guys. Hips and valleys, not straight running. Almost made me sick, it's hard to believe but for some reason I believe him. We can really throw down the straight runs, but the cuts take a lot of time.

May 4, 2016 at 11:24 a.m.

clvr83

"How are the old Asphalt Shinglers taking to these? My guess there is a lot more thinking involved about layout."

My Dad took a few hard lessons, but he's never had an easy one.

Vaa: My first pictures is DECRA ShingleXD which has a hidden fastener sort of like that Metro Shingle you mentioned, only this lock is much larger.

May 4, 2016 at 7:45 a.m.

Old School

Mike, I know what you are thinking, and I kind of thought the same thing when I first looked at them, but at least with the Metro shingles, the 90 degree bend in the metal that makes the profile is really tough and it will hold up. There are 8 screws total into each piece, and 4 of them go through both tiles. The way we do it is to just use 8 long screws so we don't have to be sorting the longs from the shorts. With this method, they are guaranteed up to 150 MPH winds. The house will blow away before the roof.

May 3, 2016 at 4:25 p.m.

Old School

Mike, the deck is solid; sarking I believe you call it. You can install over battens, but you don't have to. Over there, you normally have the rafters and then a spaced decking that you call battens. It all works, but we use estra wood over here!

May 1, 2016 at 2:59 p.m.

clvr83

Agreed. Another nice thing about Metro is filling in the field and coming back to do your cut work. You have to do it as you go with these XD's.

The XD's can actually be zipped apart in the field with a siding zip tool. It's a bit of a PITA, but we had to change a few out that got stomped on a bit.

You can go over a shingle roof with decra but they demand a layer of felt.

May 1, 2016 at 11:21 a.m.

Old School

A nice look Dave. I still like the ability to take apart the metro shakes if need be. I also like the ability to just roof over the old shingles if the deck is solid. Here are more pictures of the job we just finished.

https://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/6277297683583833281?authkey=Gv1sRgCJTJjpWNpYjxjwE#6279736965227857554

May 1, 2016 at 7:53 a.m.

clvr83

We did the open valleys on one and I liked how it came out, although it was difficult to keep it straight.

We just did a DECRA ShingleXD job. My guys actually like installing it more.

A dang smudge on my drone camera, I'm going to have to go back over there with it. It's on every picture!

Here's a Metro Shake we just did. Going up there with the drone soon.

April 28, 2016 at 9:31 p.m.

Old School

Clover, we have done them both ways, and the open valleys are a lot more work. If you do, make sure and use a painted valley as they let the debris slide while the granules will tend to stop stuff from moving. You can always caulk beneath the cover piece to stop the stuff from getting into it. Screws are definitely the way to go. They hold better and easy to take out and they make a finer hole going in.

Mike, the nice thing about this type is that they make it a "cold roof' when they are applied as the air will move beneath them. They can be taken apart too because of the stitch screws on the bottoms. Much better than a lock type seam.

April 28, 2016 at 1:50 p.m.

clvr83

Lookin good OS!

Vaa: That's good to hear because I'm pushing them pretty hard and I don't want to have to stand behind something that might not last. A guy from LA told me that nails were a bad idea, they will eventually back out, so I stick to screws as of now. Do you guys use channels for rakes and flashing walls? I'm worried about the channels getting clogged up. I'm going to push open valleys more often on houses with trees overhead.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WSCRA - Banner - RCS Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples