English
English
Español
Français

Metal Roofing

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

A Drexel 24ga. 18" Metal panel, clips and bearing plate roof will be installed on The Humble Abode this coming week. Decided for base to include 1/2 lapped 30# U.L felt. Modified Bitumen self adhesive base in valleys , wall flashings and as targets around penetrations. Polyglass Q Polystick MTS underlayment. New torch applied smooth surface over modified base sheet with 1/2 lapped granulated cap torched for low slope roofs. I don't want to have to do this again on The Humble Abode.

Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day B) :) :) B)

December 8, 2014 at 7:39 a.m.

CIAK

B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

December 8, 2014 at 7:35 a.m.

CIAK

Best laid plans :( After torrential down pour 10 days ago Solar tube leaked. Tore it apart. Had a heavy hand drilling pilot holes for stainless steel rivets. Doesn't leak now. Fixed. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

December 3, 2014 at 8:22 a.m.

clvr83

It's got to be looking real good by now....

November 13, 2014 at 4:47 p.m.

CIAK

clover83 Said: Lookin good. Why did you stop folding the top of the panels all of a sudden?

Iff ya dont mind shedding some light on a young dumb shingler, whats the story with the metal in the low pitch valley.

That is for venting the panels. The ridge cap is installed over that. The panels are hemmed + a Geo-cell as an extra precaution in low pitch valley. I torched a modified under low pitch with a smooth self adhered smooth modified base and heat resistant Polyglass MTS under panel. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

November 12, 2014 at 6:19 p.m.

clvr83

Nice flashings!

I use z-closure's as well. I'm doing more metal every year, but trying to make sure I'm doing it better, or as good as anybody else around.

On the low pitch, did you put in a cleat and hem each piece to the lower one? I'd be nervous doing that the first time. Also, I have to worry about ice damming where you don't...

November 12, 2014 at 4:04 p.m.

CIAK

clover83 Said: Lookin good. Why did you stop folding the top of the panels all of a sudden?

Iff ya dont mind shedding some light on a young dumb shingler, whats the story with the metal in the low pitch valley.

I will put a Z type flashing at top of panel. The flashing is used to attach ridge detail. Z panel is screwed down through a buttel tape with stainless screws. Metal in low pitch valley was the best long term solution for this detail B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

November 11, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

CIAK

The only granulated modified is in the break and low slope flats. I installed high temp over everything touching bottom of metal. Extra material in valleys and under flashing and targets around Solar tubes and penetrations. Also made Galvalume vent stack flashings. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

November 11, 2014 at 9:39 a.m.

Chipper1

We've been advised thru a couple of manufacturers not to use granulated underlayments directly under metal. They suggest that the granules will scratch the underside of the metal as each material moves (expands/contracts) causing it to begin the rust process prematurely.

Typically we just install a Hi-Temp self adhered membrane and forget about it but we are definitely in a different climate than the FL coast.

November 11, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.

CIAK

Rain is the introduction to paradise. Driving 11 hrs is consistent with CDL madness. Get past the introduction and have plans on staying ,then the true nature of GODs country reveals its majesty. The airport is close for long trips. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

November 10, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.

robert

I left my house in Charenton La Fri at 6:30 and drove to mobile next morning we were up and drove to Inglewood to pick up a Kold king rig sat evening and then right back to Louisiana got home Sunday at 8 pm that's a long way down and it rained most of the way down? What's up with rain in Paradise?

November 9, 2014 at 9:24 a.m.

copperman

You need to scale down the pics to 500 so they fit the page

November 6, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.

clvr83

Lookin good. Why did you stop folding the top of the panels all of a sudden?

Iff ya don't mind shedding some light on a young dumb shingler, what's the story with the metal in the low pitch valley.

November 6, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

CIAK

West Coast. West of Tampa across the causeway Dunedin St Joseph Sound

Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day B) :) :) B)

November 5, 2014 at 8:36 p.m.

copperman

Where in Florida are you? I'm coming down in a few weeks to west palm to do a 30 square standing seam roof and 800 ft of copper gutter. I would worry about the rivets in the valley with expansion and contraction. I like to see clips holding the metal so it can move with thermal changes.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CC-WorkingTheStorm-Sep26-Banner-Watch.png
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad -  Widest Product Offering in Industry
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
NRCA - Side Bar - Empower All 2024
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23