User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Media wakes up??

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Jed

Maybe "wakes up" is the wrong choice for a title. How about "decides to stop covering up and misleading/lying to the American people"

The severity of this thing is mindblowing, a conservative estimate is 50,000 barrels a day being released into the gulf. The oil has now reached the Gulf Stream and is entering the oceanic currents, which are four times stronger than the gulf current. With concerns of a Tsunami when the sea floor collapses due to the now vacant space that once contained the oil under immense pressure (30,000-60,000 PSI - to the oil flow contaminating beaches in Europe within 18 mths and devastating the fishing industry due to added toxins, Benzene amongst them.. Oh yeah.... plugging the hole? It's getting bigger as the sandblasting effect continues.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/06/15/msnbc_trashes_obamas_address_compared_to_carter_i_dont_sense_executive_command.html

June 20, 2010 at 10:29 p.m.

Mike H

JSC,

I just got back from our place down there, and couldn't even get a boat motor LOOKED AT. Every marina is filled to the brim with people trying to get junk boats seaworthy. If they pass the BP inspection process, they get XXXX dollars a day for sitting around. Darn near all the fisherman are all sitting at home cuz they can make more money on retainer than fishing. I was told, and I have no verification, that when they sign up for the mountain of free cash that BP is dropping at every turn, that they must sign away any right to participate in future law suits. Again, it's only what I was told, not something I verified. Just about anyone can get signed up as a "deckhand" for $200/day. That's pretty good cash for an oyster shucker. The place I like to buy oysters from, had only 4 bags turned in the day before I bought some. Acres of leases, and no one willing to go out and get them. It's a total fluster cluck.

I rent my place, and haven't had to file any claims for cancellations, yet.... I've heard that they are being decent to work with on lost income claims. I hope so. I had the place booked for 4.5 months, but have had only one decent inquiry since April 20th. Not looking good for the gulf. Not good at all.

June 20, 2010 at 9:19 p.m.

jimAKAblue

We don't need no stinkin' ocean.

June 19, 2010 at 12:50 p.m.

jcagle9595

Mike H Said: I dont know about in LA, but on the FL panhandle, every goober with a boat is standing around with his hand out, looking for a check from BP. There is little effort to get them in the water, its just people signing away their future rights for some quick cash today. Very sad.

What rights are they signing away?

June 19, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.

Mike H

I don't know about in LA, but on the FL panhandle, every goober with a boat is standing around with his hand out, looking for a check from BP. There is little effort to get them in the water, it's just people signing away their future rights for some quick cash today. Very sad.

June 19, 2010 at 10:08 a.m.

Jed

Vaa Fakaosifolau Said:Lack of Safety proceedures caused the blow out in the first place. Let the Coast Guard alone and let them do their job, before someone else gets killed :blink: Its going to take years to stem the flow anyway.

I read somewhere on the Net that there were 3600 ships in the area fighting the oil :blink: whos co-ordinating that?

No it did'nt. A bad battery on the blow out preventer and poor operating procedures, plus no experience of drilling a well this deep caused the blow out. I read on the net that eating broken glass helps you lose weight. 12,000 miles scews perception.

June 18, 2010 at 10:14 a.m.

Jed

Now the US Coastguatd shuts down the clean up operation....

"The Coast Guard came and shut them down," Jindal said. "You got men on the barges in the oil, and they have been told by the Coast Guard, 'Cease and desist. Stop sucking up that oil.'"

A Coast Guard representative told ABC News today that it shares the same goal as the governor.

"We are all in this together. The enemy is the oil," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Dan Lauer.

But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

Louisiana Governor Couldn't Overrule Coast Guard The governor said he didn't have the authority to overrule the Coast Guard's decision, though he said he tried to reach the White House to raise his concerns.

"They promised us they were going to get it done as quickly as possible," he said. But "every time you talk to someone different at the Coast Guard, you get a different answer."

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Wind
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey