User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
USG - Sidebar - Wind
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Lead paint part 2

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

copperman

Took my test today and passed! After listening to the instructor I don't see how all this will work in the real world. It will become a state level enforcement issue soon. Building inspectors will be given the power to fine. They figure it will add $150.00 per window replacement for example to follow all guidelines on a normal window replacement. Guess who pays. Will add a lot of time to each job. Oh and you can't put more the 220 lbs. of lead contaminated waste in a dumpster at a time or it will have to go to a haz mat dump. Have a nice day you got to April to get certified. :unsure:

July 28, 2010 at 4:02 p.m.

copperman

I just got this contract in the mail :cheer: . The guy took a little time to come up with the funds to do it But it's a go. Got serious about ordering Terne II. My normal supplier quoted me a price of $175.00 per roll. I called around and got a price of $97.00 for the quantity I want. How can they be that far apart? Good for me though as it's a bitch of a job. That will take the sting out a little.

May 3, 2010 at 7:37 p.m.

Handnail

I find it all to funny that we have to pay for the mistakes of the past. New Jerseys industrial company's have polluted every square inch of this state and expect the average Contractor to clean up the mess! Why doesn't DuPont pay for the classes to clean up the mess. They sold the paint and made billions. Its hard enough to sell a job around here for the money deserved, with all the illegal imagrants around. Now they want us to clean up lead paint! Its just another way to get in our pockets!

April 21, 2010 at 8:20 p.m.

tinner666

Looks like less than 220 lbs to me. B)

April 21, 2010 at 6:45 a.m.

copperman

Was told that enforcement will eventually get kicked down to state level with code enforcers being able to fine for non-compliance. They(EPA) want compliant company's to rat out non-compliant company's. If you hire subs you need to make sure they don't contaminate your job site. check out this site. Interesting reading. http://www.remodeling.hw.net/lead-safe-practices/contracts-conversations-protect-remodelers-against-rrp-liability.aspx

April 21, 2010 at 6:06 a.m.

SL8R

I took the class Monday. We were told the new laws should only add $160 to the average job, doesn't look like an accurate figure to me. From the conversations I've had there will only be a few contractors "stimulating the economy". With no one but the EPA enforcing the laws I don't think it is going to be an even playing field when bidding jobs.

April 20, 2010 at 7:28 p.m.

copperman

This new law is getting more expensive all the time. I just ordered the pamphlets and forms I need at a cost of $81.00 for 50. Need to get a HEPPA vac yet. I see they run about $800.00. Still have to get tyvec suits and n22 respirators. I talked to one company today and he said it cost him $7000.00 to get his crews trained. Oh well I guess we contractors are stimulating the economy.

April 19, 2010 at 2:41 p.m.

copperman

Just looked at a job that's 40 square standing seam terne all painted with old red lead paint. 40 ft to the eave with a 27 foot rafter. 112 ft. of built-in gutter and a fancy gable pent with spheres. Sweet job in a recession. All material and debris has to go through a trap door from the attic. Smack in the middle of town with no other access. I'll post pictures later when I get them off my phone.

April 18, 2010 at 10:03 p.m.

tinner666

At least on the large repair I have, the BIG's are only 8 years old. Average life for 10' lenght panels.

April 18, 2010 at 10:01 p.m.

tinner666

I bet. There are many techniques to avoid soldering on a roof.I seldom do any, except pipe, and BIG's. None on bottom, none on ridges. I shop solder a lock strip for valleys. Everything works out to uncut, unsoldered seams around chimneys, skylights, etc, due to the way I lay it out. Just double-locks whenever possible.

April 18, 2010 at 7:46 p.m.

copperman

I just sold a 700 square ft copper standing seam job. But first I have to remove the old tin roof painted with red lead paint. Tinner you don't even want to know what we should be doing to just solder a seam. Hint....Air handler, respirator, tyvec suit.

April 18, 2010 at 6:48 p.m.

tinner666

Good for you Larry. I just bid a $30K repair that has about 1000 ft. of contaminated area.

craftesman Said: how does this new law affect re-roofing. i talked to several people and havent got any answers yet.
Just atay away from gutters, fascis, gable walls, dormers, even projects with lots of pipe collars. Don't touch any valleys either. You'll be OK, unless an inspector stops by and asks for proof that there were no contaminants on the jobsite. If you can prove that, you'll be OK and can avoid fines. No problem.

April 16, 2010 at 6:12 p.m.

copperman

Easy, if you touch the siding when flashing a wall you disturb paint. You remove gutters and pealing paint falls to the ground. Metal valleys covered in paint, old tin roofs covered in paint. the list goes on. $37,500.00 fine for non -compliance. Must also register your co or firm for $300.00. A lot of paper work and record keeping goes with it also. Big fines if your records are incomplete. Go to EPA.gov for info. If you work on HUD houses you better be on the ball.

April 16, 2010 at 5:37 p.m.

craftesman

how does this new law affect re-roofing. i talked to several people and haven't got any answers yet.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Adams & Reese - Banner Ad - Christopher Kane - Storm Ready: Insights on Hurricane Preparedness
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos