User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Kind of OT.....Siding Question

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

I have a customer where I am installing a new roof. It is 1 story on one end and 2 story on the other. The roof dies out into the side of the 2 story wall. The 2 story building has brick 8' up, then aluminum siding up to the aluminum soffits. The flashing is shot where 1 story and wall come together.

The homeowner wants me to replace the aluminum siding with vinyl and flash that wall properly when I do the roof, but he dont want to have to replace soffit and guttering. The aluminum siding is run under the soffit, almost like they sided the building then riveted J or F to the siding and slid the soffit in.

I told the homeowner I dont see how it can be done without either replacing soffit and gutters at same time....or try to cut the siding below the J/F and install 2x4or6 as a trim board below existing soffit....but that would be a pain in the behind.

My question is...Do you guys know anyway you could remove the aluminum siding that runs under the soffit trim, without disturbing the soffit?

I think it must be removed to be done correctly.......but I will take any advice and or suggestions I am given.

Thanks!

April 28, 2010 at 11:04 p.m.

jimAKAblue

RandyB1986 Said:

I told the homeowner I dont see how it can be done without either replacing soffit and gutters at same time....or try to cut the siding below the J/F and install 2x4or6 as a trim board below existing soffit....but that would be a pain in the behind.

My question is...Do you guys know anyway you could remove the aluminum siding that runs under the soffit trim, without disturbing the soffit?

I think it must be removed to be done correctly.......but I will take any advice and or suggestions I am given.

Thanks!

Remodeling....more art than science.

I know what I'd do but I don't expect anyone to understand it, nor do it.

I'd take my power saw, put a blade in backwards and cut the siding off at the intersection of the soffit and wall. The new soffit would tuck up tight to it and you would never know the difference.

My "secret"? My saw has no guard and I've cut the extended table off. I was taught to use a saw like this in the 70's and I've never used a saw with a guard or the extended table since then. Yes, I have all my digits. No, I've never been cut and I used a power saw every day for 25 years.

They do make a tool that remodelors like that might also work in this setting. I don't own one of those tools because my saw is faster. I can't even remember the name of the tool.

The problem with the aluninum is that anything slower than a power saw will catch and bend it.

April 28, 2010 at 5:19 p.m.

builderr

I would run my skil saw with a fine tooth plywood blade up and down the gable area, using the j channel as a guide edge, and cover it with a frieze detail 4-5 inches. and in the wall/ soffit area....cut the siding, nail it flat, over the house wrap, then install new siding.

hope that helps

April 20, 2010 at 10:37 a.m.

tico

can't you just run A J and die the siding in it?vinyl products are easily the simplest materials to use.they got something for everything and everything has something that will make it work.

April 20, 2010 at 9:43 a.m.

RandyB1986

TRG.....Thanks for the response. How about in the gables where I will have to cut thru the lap in siding? You think that will work or will I end up tearing the soffit out trying to get siding to break?

Thanks Again....I have never been asked to do this.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SafetyHQ: Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch