User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Just venting.....

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

Ok, I went out and looked at a homeowners roof. They had hail damage and I helped them with the claim. Met with the adjuster, measured roof, marked roof and took pictures. My bid was around $12,000....insurance paid about $15,000 after deductible. Homeowner got first check for $7,000.

Homeowner calls me and says he is going to do his roof himself to pocket some more money(free isnt cheap enough).....I say fine and good luck.

I then ask insurance adjuster if they are going to pay him his depreciation since the homeowner is not a contractor and they tell me that they will pay the homeowner just like a contractor.

Well.....the homeowner tore off his roof 2 days ago and while he had it tore off we got 3 1/2" of rain!! He had no tarp. He has ceilings laying in floor, furnace is trashed, insulation destroyed, flooring soaked......and now he is filing another homeowner claim for interior repairs that he caused! And yes...he has done told me he will do hi sown remodel and should make good money on it.

This guy is a fire fighter.....I guess a living off the taxpayers is just not enough :(

Insurance should deny these idiots!>>>

July 28, 2009 at 5:50 p.m.

robert

I have a contigency aggreement i make them sign, an aggreement we are doing it for insurance proceeds and they are responsible for the deductible. I have still had insureds screw me over when they collect thier proceeds but it really cuts down on it,some people just get stupid and think thier going to make money on the claim.>>>

July 28, 2009 at 5:46 p.m.

Handnail

Hey , just checkin in after i posted this a few days ago, its great to hear the feedback, we all have our oppinions, let me fill you in on what ive investagated. This STORM CHASSER doesnt no a thing about installing roofing or siding, he actually worked for the supply house i purchase materials from, got an ear full from the counter, cause hes not buying from them LOL! Anyway i started talking to some folks in the community that hadnt had there siding or roof replaced from this clown! Allthough every nieghbor 5 houses on each side of them have replaced there so called damaged exterior. So we look over this guys house and theres nothing but normal wear and tear of a 25 to 30 year old home. So know im gettin pissed off more! Next i call a department from my state " Insurance fraud buera or some s&@t like that, they tell me to get some addresses and theyll investagate this dude! Seeing is believing,So i got some addresses for them ill be sending them off tomorrow, I wrote down at least 50 homes in 2 developments some with completed jobs some incomplete, heres the kicker!the dude who is running this scam is loading up extra siding on his truck with his out of state installer and sees me write his liscence plate down, and yells out to me, Are you writing down my plate number,I yell back, HELL YEAH! And by the way are these guys working for you Subcontractors? He replies yes they are! In my state a subcontractor needs to have a state liscence to work for a GC, these dudes are from the mid south and i gaurantee they dont have a liscence, there all foriegn and pull up in vans with about 8 guys in each one, weve all seen this! So i call the state department of public affairs and ask them if they will investagate this guy! They tell me i have to write them a complaint in regards to this matter and theyll look into it. So let it be written so let it be done. Im gonna burn this MFer you can bet your bottom dollar. Im sure some how some way hes not playing by the book! And im gonna get him. What do i have to loose im broke out of work, and insane. Ill keep ya posted. Yours Truly, One hard workin roofer!>>>

July 28, 2009 at 11:16 a.m.

JET

roofrite Said: This is why I will not meet with an adjuster on the homeowners behalf if I do not have a signed contract to perform the work.

Now you're talkin'.........get that SOB homeowner on paper and have them initial the 3 day exclusion clause on your contract, just in case that's their plan.

JET>>>

July 28, 2009 at 9:07 a.m.

roofrite

This is why I will not meet with an adjuster on the homeowner's behalf if I do not have a signed contract to perform the work.>>>

July 27, 2009 at 3:45 p.m.

CIAK

Terry You haven't started yet. That's why . IMO You will hear everything from nobody else is doing it to the H/O' won't pay and every excuse in between. In reality the reason . You don't.>>>

July 27, 2009 at 3:37 p.m.

Terry

I wish I had a quarter for every insurance claim we filled out and then the property owner finds someone cheaper OR trys to do the roof themselves. I think it should be illegal, it's the estimators time, travel, my time typing and filling the claim and then the SOB gives some jack leg the contract. I think I'm going to start doing what Jet said, but upping the anti we can't go out for less then $225.00. You know when you call a plumber or electrician they charge (last I knew) $80.00 just to show up and then some enormous hourly rate. Why don't roofers get to do the same thing?>>>

July 27, 2009 at 10:42 a.m.

CIAK

JET Said: Happens all the time down here. I wont play that game. If I do an insurance estimate its $175.......up front. Normally Ill make the homeowner sign a contract at that time also and put a pending insurance company funds as a feel good clause for them. If the homeowner is honest theyll play by the rules. I dont know about the licensing laws where you operate but Id certainly look into them to see if this guy is legal in what hes doing. Id also give the adjuster a call to let him know about the new claim thats coming on this job. A homeowner doing his own work should be just a liable as a contractor if he screws up a job.......claim denied.

JET

That's the smart move as far as I see it Jet. It is annoying to hear beaching about a model that doesn't work and blame your bad decision on someone else. Happens all the time around here . Where your missing the complete picture ...... Who rebuilds after , who pays and who can pay for the repairs ? The banks have a huge stake in the house . The insurance company business is with the bank and the homeowner . As a practical matter it would be negligent for the insurance company not to pay the claim. It was accidental and sudden . That is the bottom line for a claim. This fits the scenario . IMO>>>

July 27, 2009 at 10:20 a.m.

JET

Happens all the time down here. I won't "play" that game. If I do an insurance estimate it's $175.......up front. Normally I'll make the homeowner sign a contract at that time also and put a "pending insurance company funds" as a feel good clause for them. If the homeowner is honest they'll play by the rules. I don't know about the licensing laws where you operate but I'd certainly look into them to see if this guy is legal in what he's doing. I'd also give the adjuster a call to let him know about the "new" claim that's coming on this job. A homeowner doing his own work should be just a liable as a contractor if he screws up a job.......claim denied.

JET>>>

July 27, 2009 at 8:10 a.m.

CIAK

Randy To be direct Yes and No Respectively Welcome to the insurance world. He pays his premiums .Now it probably not suppose to happen . It does . twill :laugh: :laugh: you sound like you have done this before . :laugh: B)>>>

July 26, 2009 at 9:02 p.m.

RandyB1986

lol Twill>>>

July 26, 2009 at 4:58 p.m.

RandyB1986

CIAK Said: Well Randy not all of them do . You can include that clause if you like . The insurance will pay for the Jack Legg mistake and then come after you for the subrogation insured or not . You call the shots in how you run your business . B) B)

Chuckie....So does this mean the insurance company will pay this homeowner for damaging and repairing his own home, then will they sue him for costs?

This makes no sense...>>>

July 26, 2009 at 10:38 a.m.

CIAK

Well Randy not all of them do . You can include that clause if you like . The insurance will pay for the Jack Legg mistake and then come after you for the subrogation insured or not . You call the shots in how you run your business . B) B)>>>

July 26, 2009 at 10:33 a.m.

RandyB1986

Why do contractors carry insurance then? I think I will include a clause in my contracts that states I dont have insurance and if I fugk up your house....your dumbass insurance can pay for my Jack Legg mistake. :silly:>>>

July 26, 2009 at 9:44 a.m.

CIAK

I'm sorry you lost the job . It must be frustrating especially putting the time in the estimate and not being paid for it. A real and possible reason to charge for your time . The home owner has the absolute right to repair his own property . Unequivocal right. He also has the right for being stupid . Tearing the roof off with out checking the weather. :woohoo: Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The insurance will and should pay for the inside repairs . It doesn't just stop with the individual .The banks have a large interest . There the living standards of community to consider in these factors. If your house is on fire and this idiot saves your home on taxpayers dollars . I would pray you thank him . He is not responsible for you not charging for your time . That is your model and choice . Stop blaming others . We are the engineers of our own lives .>>>

July 26, 2009 at 1:01 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

He deserves what he got.

What an idiot.

Ed>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence