User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
USG - Sidebar - Fire
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Intersting day of Repairs I guess! lol

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

OLE Willie

I was down to only 3 Repair leads on Thanksgiving Eve. When i get to the first stop another company had not 1 but 2 trucks in the driveway and a couple guys were up on the roof. Looked like one of them was cleaning out the gutters. I didn't even bother to stop so that was quick and easy. lol Second stop a homeowner had built an addition on back of his house and wanted someone to just roof it in saying he had all the materials and was going to flash the walls himself. Well, upon further inspection all he had was the dimensional shingles. He forgot about ridge caps, felt, nails, flashing, etc... His wife was the only one home at the time but he came pulling up with some wall flashing shortly after i finished looking at it. He was going to install his wall flashing on the outside of the wood siding and then caulk it. lol I had a load of fun explaining to him how to make two cuts in the siding and remove the 2 inch strip, then install the wall flashing up in behind the siding. Also flashing kickouts at the bottoms as the siding ran beyond the bottoms of the two sided addition. Without doing the kickouts the water would leak in behind the siding at the bottoms. I'm not holding my breath waiting for his call. lol The last one was a dead valley visible right on the front of a newer home. They had this area "repaired" a couple times already to no avail. Also the last guy used BLACK modified on a weathered wood shingle roof. lol I give the couple a price of $1,500 ( i was referred on this one ) . They had already spent $3,000 and still had a problem and now a color mismatch problem as well. The lady freaks out and says oh my god $1,500 just for THAT. The last guy did it for $850 she says. I just pointed at his lousy work and said well mam, thats what you get for $850 to have my company do it professionally will be $1,500!! Her husband looked at her real strangely and asked where do i sign? lol

November 26, 2009 at 9:54 a.m.

Old School

Nothing surprizes me anymore!

November 26, 2009 at 6:30 a.m.

OLE Willie

When i showed her a color other than black or white she was visibly shaken! lol ( black modified on a weathered wood roof looks pretty bad ) This couple is buying the house and were going to the closing of the sale 2 hours after i left them with the bid. When i first pulled up they said the seller was so frustrated with it all that they said just get a quote from a professional and we will pay it whatever it is. And then said they ( the buyers ) didn't care how much it cost. lol So i joked well, in that case it'll be 3 million dollars. To which they replied well as long as you split it with us that will be fine. The previous owners had spent $3,000 on this. So I told them to look on the bright side. They will be getting this problem solved for half that. :blink:

November 25, 2009 at 8:19 p.m.

OLE Willie

On that last one before she said that, she also said the last guy told her modified was only available in black or white. ( Probably what he had in leftovers ) So since those are the only two colors you can get, she wants the rubber torn out of the dead valley and shinlges installed in it. I just calmly told her shingles have a very high likely hood to leak in the dead valley and then i reached over into the back of my truck and pulled out a half roll of BROWN modified! lol Then i let her know the modified was also available in the same color as her shingles which are weathered wood! lol

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald