User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Roofers Coffee Shop Sidebar Banner Ad Digital Modifleece 250x265
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hunter Panels - Sidebar - Blog Website Launch - Aug
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Insurance & warrantee claims denied due to impropper instalation.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

KC Joe

I am trying to be sure my installers run the proper gun preasure to not embed the nail & get them to hit both layer's on the laminenits it's hard.

Dose anybody using sub crews have a problem getting them to take the time to do it rite.

Offen I've heard from home owners saying they were denied a claim due to impropper instalation.

I haven't been bit in the ass yet & hopefully I won't be (not that many roofs out there just starting my old roofing company back up again) I'm closely inspecting my jobs & trying to advise my crew's how to take better care.

I'd like to here some input.>>>

April 21, 2009 at 10:46 a.m.

KC Joe

Hi Vaa

I saw your post on witch way to roll your seams & saw some of your pic's. I know I can learn from you about Quality your work looks tight. What the heck are you doing up at 4:37 am on a sunday? I was just ending my day stupid me? My wife wasn't to happy about me being on the internt at 3:11 am either. Yeah I a do lot of residential and their's not a lot of money but a lot of headache that why I ask you about commerical in an early post. If I was to hold money out they wouldn't work for me. But I know they like working for me because I make them do it the proper way and a lot of companys around here just have them do it and don't inspect the work I'm not going to allow that. I'm using hispanic crews & I half to keep a close eye on them. Over the last decade and a 1/2 their have been a lot of changes in our industry here in the midwest expecialy in the labor end using sub crews. Vaa you said "here in NZ" in another post is that New Zeland ?>>>

April 19, 2009 at 3:11 a.m.

KC Joe

Vaa dose your costomers hold 10% from you and divi it out over your warrantee period? I make sure they do good work & they have their GL & Work Comp. If an issiue was to comes up it will go back on them. I haven't had any problems and I don't plan on having any, and thats why I'm setting some additional requirements to insure my coustomer gets a properly installed roof. :woohoo: As for the lid on my company's coffin it will close only when I allow it to, and these sub crew's won't be driving any of the nails. I've been competing against my first boss and many of my co-workers I worked with when I worked for him for 24 years now. And I trained a lot of men that I compete with now. It's the trade were in. When you start your job education on the job site what is there to stop you from competing against the guy that trained you once people start asking you to.

"The Competition" this job wouldn't be the same without it. :woohoo:>>>

April 17, 2009 at 8:10 p.m.

egg

I'm thinking fillers. Had one last year that broke apart in your hands but they did make good on it. As long as someone is piece-working, there's going to be at least a small step down, if not a great big one. Unless the piece rate is a bit generous...in which case someone(s) may be motivated to not blow the deal and to put out some extra attention on a regular basis. If the rate is 'the going rate' in other words: to the bone, there is no prayer for much sparkle. Unless, of course, you somehow have them over a barrel. I banned barrels after they got used on me and that was a long time ago. I never minded piecework per se. Kind of freeing actually and much preferable to a cut-throat hourly wage which can be the worst barrel of all.>>>

April 17, 2009 at 9:35 a.m.

KC Joe

Malarky has an interesting dementional shingle also, the lamination blends into the shingle within approxmatly 1 1/2" also.

I generally sell GAF more option with in one manufacturer. Upgrade's to designer shingles when replacing wood. Warrantee upgrade's, representation.

Malarky dosn't have that, OC either yet, I don't like Tamko any more shingle material is to thin & there adhesive dosn't stick (had wind damage on a roof 45 days old wouldn't have if my supplier wasn't out of GAF)>>>

April 16, 2009 at 8:55 p.m.

alan7596

Try using Owens corning duration or similar with the 1 1/2 nailing strip.>>>

April 16, 2009 at 6:50 p.m.

Peter1

Hi KC Joe,

Perhaps instead of looking at hand nailing as an upgrade it might go down better if described as "The Traditional Way".

My approach would be price traditional first and if necessary price for the nail guns, on the plus side it gives you two bites at the one cherry.

When discussing details with the customer I usually introduce such an option by saying something along the lines of "Well I would only do it this way on my own /fathers /mothers home" it does get the customers interest without appearing to be want to do bad work. >>>

April 16, 2009 at 2:46 p.m.

KC Joe

Yea thought I mite sell that as an up grade???

But then the potential coustomer may look at you as trying to sell a improperly installed roof at one price and offering to charge this much more for the same roof only installed properly.

This one crew wants $5.00 sq more to hand nail it, I'll half to find out what the other crew wants.>>>

April 16, 2009 at 2:28 p.m.

CustomRoof

Your doing the right thing by inspecting the work. I have never had or heard of a claim being denied for improper installation even though I've seen many jobs that should have been. Get a good quality sub or two and build a relationship so they know what's expected. If your consistent, the will respect what you inspect. I have a crew that only hand nails and gets the job done fast at a great rate. I have sold many jobs at a higher sales price by doing this.

Good luck>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MetalForming - Banner Ad - METALCON 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Roofers Coffee Shop Sidebar Banner Ad Digital Modifleece 250x265
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices