User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Insurance Question........

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

I have a house that is insured by ALLSTATE. Adjuster paid for 2 layer roof replacement. Roof felt solid and there was no indication decking was failing. When we removed the existing roof layers we found the decking was 3/8" on 16" centers, the front and sides were decked using 4'x 4' sheets instead of 4x8. The plywood was de-laminating to the point that it was so weak we had to walk on rafters to keep from falling in. The homeowner is a cash strapped older couple.

I contacted the adjuster to see if he would cover us re-decking...they said send in a supplemental, but then they called me back and said they didn't think it would be paid. The roof was already torn off, so I just installed new decking and finished the house.

My question is will insurance pay if the decking was not up to code and had to be replaced? My thinking is....when we removed 2 layers of roofing, all the nails caused the 3/8 plywood to separate. If the roof had not been damaged and needing replaced, the decking would have never failed.

SO if I had to replace shingles, and deck failed, shouldnt insurance be responsible?

Thanks for your thoughts. Randy

August 17, 2010 at 7:24 a.m.

CIAK

It is there to cover building code violations or up grades to current codes. The coverage is 10% of A coverage. Should be plenty of money for decking. Is 3/8 plywood code in your area? Pictures are your friend. I would definitely pursue it even if it is or was code. the damage caused by the extra layers can be interpreted as normal wear and tear. Interpretation is the key word. One carrier will interpret the language one way another some other way. Even inside the same company it changes. So hang in there be nice not belligerent but firm. Remember insurance company's are very PC.. Sometime honey gets the bee shate always draws maggots and flies. B) ;) ;) B)

August 16, 2010 at 7:46 p.m.

RandyB1986

CIAK....I checked the AllState policy and it does have BC, it pretty much says what you said it would.

Does that mean since 3/8" decking in 4 x 4 sheets did not meet code(no stamp) and had to be replaced to meet building code, should insurance have to pay for decking?

Thank you for your help!

Randy

August 12, 2010 at 9:49 a.m.

CIAK

You also should ask the H/O if they have BC coverages endorsements. Should be around page 27 upper left. Coverage BC It will read something like this. Building codes We will pay up to 10% of the amount of insurance of policy Declaration under coverage A ............ it is an endorsement. I have never known it to be an un endorsed coverage). I don't know everything that is for sure. Lots of things are left up to interpretations. This one is pretty clear to me. Make sure you Document document pics and writing it will be and can be used for leverage.

August 12, 2010 at 8:38 a.m.

tico

yes,what Robert said.through the building dept. is the way to go. when I did the ones in LP tex. the building insp. drilled me with A barrage of questions. I did not know it but another salesman had gone their to find out the requirement.he wasn't A roofer or const. worker and the inspector danced on him. know what your talking about. tell him/them that according to the shingle manufacturers warranty the home is immidiately void of any warranty because of an inadequate,or inferior sub-strate.that it is delaminated,weak due to age and deterioration,etc.which is all true. and also,you can pull up their code requirements and such on line.by county or municipality. and in some states the state code supercedes all muni's when it comes to const. zonally. been all through that myself.for us const. types it's A walk in the park. the homeowners will love you.and all the adjusters I've ever worked with,many come out expecting to find A car salesman on the roof.they would get there,we chat A bit.they always commented on how nice it is to work with someone that has photos,documents,and the estimates for the deck replacement.thats if he's meeting you there. often they won't. at the time they paid 1.35 per sq. ft.my suggertion to you,come in under that price,scan your documents,E them over,have them call you.if he doesn't call him and ask him if he looked it over. verbally tell him that you know the payout (make sure of what it is now,and for where you are at)and that you prenegotiated the price to take all the bargaining off the table and would rather get the job,and saving them some money today means that next time we meet your gonna know that I'm the guy for your customers job. I had,on several jobs,the same adjusters.both in Atl, and Houston.they would walk the roof as a formallity.and many many times they themselves would tell the H/O not to worry,that I could be trusted. I've never found an all bad adjuster.some were difficult,and often it's because they are dealing with homes,and the liason is A car industry guy just out to buck up.

August 12, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.

tico

it has been my experience,and with Allsnake that you can go after O&L. did it in houston on several homes in the seabrook and Laporte area. it is built into their policies,not all ins. co.s have it like that. with some it's an adendum so to speak.

August 12, 2010 at 8:12 a.m.

robert

Go to the local building department and document that its a code requirement and check thier policy to see if thier covered for the code upgrade.But being who it is,good luck chuck!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WTI - Banner Ad - Apprentice Podcast 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June