User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

insulating question

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

roofrat

Greetings all from the great white north.I have an insulating question i would like to get some feedback on.I have a backsplit house 4/12 pitch just reshingled it last year.All the soffit venting and roof vents are working as they should.What i would like to do,to increase my R value is remove all the blown in fibreglass insulation then insulate with 3 inch polyiso between the trusses then blow the fibreglass back on top of it.A 6 mil poly vapour barrier is already in place(obviously under the drywall).My question is..am i setting myself up for a huge headache because im mixing the two different types of insulation?And am i going to create moisture by doing so?The reason for the polyiso is that it is no cost to me whatsoever.If it means anything i live about an hour east of Toronto and we do get some bone chilling weather here.Thanks.

March 29, 2015 at 8:40 p.m.

Old School

You shouldn't be! The ISO on top of the ceiling below is just act as an other vapor barrier, and the 3 inches of ISO will give you R21 with no voids. The fiberglass over that will just increase the r factor and if you do in fact have adequate ventilation and air movement, it should work like a charm. by the way, what is a splitback?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

APOC - Banner - 3x Points - June
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June