User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
ARCA - Sidebar ad - 55th Annual Roofing Expo
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Incompetence

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

andy

I thought I'd seen it all . . . until now. Looked at a little 10' x 20' low pitch roof as a part of a 12 sq residential project. Mod bit roof installed bass ackwards. Started the roof on the upside of the slope, at the wall and worked their way down. Seams are ok, but lapped to take on water, not shed it. What a complete waste of effort and material.

This would make more sense if this was 90#, lapped 2" and face nailed like we usually see with a DIY'er. Mod bit is usually installed by pros who know the product and protocol. Oh, well . . . .>>>

April 22, 2009 at 9:42 p.m.

OLE Willie

I gave a bid to re-do a chimney flashing job the other day where the last guy put his new flashing on the outside of the siding and even that liked about 2 feet going all the way to the top of the chimney. He didn't even bother to caulk it either. Then the shingles he replaced were installed upside down. He charged the homeowner 450 and made the problem worse plus made our repair much more difficult and more expensive to the h/o. Friggin Fruitcakes! lol>>>

April 22, 2009 at 7:53 a.m.

andy

pgriz,

You a funny guy! Don't quit your day job.

Copperman,

Your theory would hold water (pun intended) if this was just 90# granulated. The mod bit (Flintlastic) has a 4" smooth seam, so flipping the seam would have created an issue for sealing.

On the plus side, these "tradesmen" are creating quite a bit of work for us. But for the bad workmanship, we could very well be sitting on our thumbs for the summer.

Vaa,

I am technolgically challenged and haven't a clue where to begin to post pics (which I, to date, have not taken.)

Of note . . . the new owner claims this roof is not leaking . . . . . . . . . yet . . . .>>>

April 21, 2009 at 5:06 p.m.

jfreynik

I hear depends work pretty good...............................Oh wait that's Incompetence not incontinent :blush: I bet they laid the field from the top down and then sent someone back to do the seams and they forgot one little detail to flip the laps. A least Vaa asks which way to run them :cheer:>>>

April 20, 2009 at 9:54 p.m.

pgriz

Obviously, Andy, you never learned that water can run uphill. The man's trying to teach you something, and you call it incompetence?! :P :woohoo: :silly:>>>

April 20, 2009 at 8:37 a.m.

2ndgen

LOL!

No, you got it all wrong Andy, it's a Class A Storm Rated "Wind-Resistant" system!

LOL!>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

IB Roof - Banner - RLW Watch - Myths Vs. Reality
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad