User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Ice & Snow Damage

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Terry D

We are in SW PA and got hit with the heavy snow in mid February. The ice build-up damaged many many gutters, slate and tile roofs and some shingle roofs. This was 3 1/2 months ago. I am still receiving calls from people who are just now noticing that their gutters were torn off or that there are slate and tile laying in their yard.

Many of the people that did see a problem in February or March and called for an estimate held on to the estimate until now! The ones that sent the estimate/contract back to have the work done, have been completed and are now enjoying rainy days without getting wet inside the house. The ones that held on to the estimates are now calling and wanting done yesterday! They don't want to hear that there are 40, 50 or 60 people in line in front of them.

Along with the regular work that comes in every year, we are still working on storm damage claims. Several companies around here have quit taking calls because they are totally booked for the year. Frankly I think it is stupid to quit taking calls but that is their choice.

Last year at this time, we were quite concerned that we might not survive the season because of lack of work and in fact did lay off most of the crews very early. This year we hired on 3 more men and still can't keep up! I am not complaining!

Feast or Famine!

How is everyone else's year stacking up?

May 27, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.

Jed

We are steadily plodding along as usual and although state contracts keep us busy so we were largely unaffected by the down turn, paople I talk to are generally optimistic and seem to think work is picking up.

May 27, 2010 at 6:31 a.m.

Old School

Not a huge amount of work here from the winter. I am replacing some gutters that were torn off by the ice. A big hail storm a month or so ago south of town is creating some work.

May 26, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.

wywoody

Good to hear that, Terry. We've got 4 weeks ahead, all repairs. It might take 6 weeks to get through them as they all require dry days. For two weeks we've had two types of weather, rain all day or scattered showers all day.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Construction Solutions - Banner Ad - Where do you like to get your training from manufacturers?
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad