User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
USG - Sidebar - Fire
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

I need a financial backer for a new roofing company

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

JR1

I have been in this business for a long time. Anything from installer, sales and management. However, I am tired of the same old song and dance. You know the one "Sale, Sale, Sale" But they never pay you or they can't pay their bills.....I am ready to try my own go a this. Here is what I have. Sales team, canvassers, telemarketers, office management, office desk, computers, etc all I need now is the help to do it right. If anyone can give me some advise....

January 28, 2010 at 11:15 a.m.

Old School

Why Lanny, that is purely "Unamerican" If the bankers don't get their cut how is the country going to survive? Off from the top no less!

January 27, 2010 at 6:58 p.m.

OLE Willie

If it was a storm chasing outfit just go to the next storm with all your sales peeps and roofers and find a local business that does not have the employees to handle the calls they are getting and work out a deal. If you want to start a local company get rid of all of them except for one small crew of roofers and prepare to sell your own jobs until the business picks up enough to hire on a salesman. Why do you think your boss could not pay you or his bills? Because all of you guys were the " high overhead ". Best of Luck! :huh:

January 27, 2010 at 6:13 p.m.

pgriz

What do you need money for? Buying marketing? Investing in rolling stock and production tooling? Paying people their back wages that were not paid by the previous owner? In a service industry like roofing, you don't need lots of capital unless you're building up production capacity, buying the prospects, or transporting the whole dog-and-pony show around the country...

Financial backers, or investors, want a relatively risk-free guaranteed return on their investment. Which means you have to show you know what the risks are and how you will control them. Investors also like to protect their investment by collateral, which in your case will be what? Investor expectation of returns on their capital will probably be at least 20-30% annually given the risk profile of the business - which means that pricing will have to be high enough to generate enough extra cash to pay the interest.

Traditionally, for a service business to stand above its competition, it had to have a niche, a unique appeal, a system, that generated above-average profits. We'll assume, for sake of this discussion, that we are only considering legitimate, honest businesses that pay their employees, taxes, suppliers and backers on time and in full, and still have a profit left over after paying themselves. If you don't have such a niche, then you'll have a lot of difficulty raising capital. Which means that if your group wants to get ahead, it will have to use "sweat equity" financing to get the show rolling. And for the "sweat equity" investment to work, everybody involved needs to be on the same page. "This is how we are going to get customers, this is how we will do the production, this is how we will cover all the costs, and this is how much we will have left to share after all is said and done." Add to that: "This is how we mediate disputes, and this is how we resolve differences"... and you have a fighting chance to succeed.

Service industries usually have some value only as long as the "formula" continues to work. What guarantees does any investor have that the formula is still producing?

January 27, 2010 at 4:51 p.m.

robert

So how long did you work where you didnt get paid and what kind of outfit pays no one?How long was the previous owner in business and what is this a storm chasing setup?Your going to need volume for that operation,so i presume your chasing storms.

January 27, 2010 at 10:34 a.m.

JR1

I guess you don't understand what i am asking. I have canvassers that canvass, sales people that sell, roofing crews.....etc. We just worked at a bad place. We made the company money, he just didn't pay anyone. I am not taking his name or debts. I was just asking for advice.

January 27, 2010 at 7:55 a.m.

wywoody

JR says, Here is what I have. Sales team, canvassers, telemarketers, office management, office desk, computers, etc all I need now is the help to do it right. If anyone can give me some advise....

So you have everything you need for a roofing company--but roofers. Why do you think you're entitled to take away business from other roofing companies that actually have roofers? You have all you need to sell pyramid schemes, investments, Zhu Zhu pets, plans to get money out of Nigeria...etc. Why bother selling roofs you don't have anyone to install?

January 27, 2010 at 7:04 a.m.

Old School

That about says it all!

January 26, 2010 at 7:49 p.m.

Old School

Experience is what you get when you are looking for something else!

January 26, 2010 at 5:28 p.m.

Mike H

Woo Hoo, talk about baptism by fire. If you were one of the guys that always knew it was being done wrong, but didn't offer up the answers to fix it, good luck, you're gonna get quite an education.

January 26, 2010 at 2:31 p.m.

JR1

Maybe it's just the help to do it right. I am trying to be very careful about things. I don't want to have high overhead and take myself out of the business in the first year. I also don't want to be listed as a rip of company. I didn't buy anything, it was handed to me in a settlement over pay.

January 26, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

Jed

Number one money maker- Dry Cleaner. Number one money loser- Restraunt. Do you need help with the finance or "the help to do it right". Have you bought the operation already? Just curious as you mention both.

January 26, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.

Old School

I have one word of advice....BANKER! We don't lend money and they don't install roofs!

Why do you think it would be any different if you had someone that put up the money? If they are in the hole for the money, they are going to want some guarantees. Good luck with that one. Finacing a roofer is as bad as finacing a restaraunt!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - Banner Ad - How to Connect with Vocational Schools (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Readyslate Sidebar Ad