User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

I hate when this happens....

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

I started a roof last week. Suppose to be a quick little 3 day job.....it was a 25 Square 3 tab 10/12....one story but had about 10 square of mansard roof included in that 25.

I just got thru rebuilding this customers foundation that had washed out...and that set him back around $7500. Well he had me give him a price on his roof when I was doing the foundation..I was thinking he would do it in the Spring. He called me and said he wants to do the roof but that with him just spending an unexpected $7500 on the foundation, could I work with him on the price any. I had already bid this job pretty close and I told him I couldnt go much cheaper. He had a deck he wanted a price on adding steps on...so I told him I would include the steps and roofing permit in my estimate and he said that is good, let's do it.

I asked him if I could get in his attic to look at his decking to make sure it looked ok....he said there is no access to attic, it was all vaulted. SO I said ok...hopefully it has good decking.

Well on our first day we tear off a section and dam...it was all nasty planking, 1x3, 1x4, 1x6...nothing the same. Areas were rotted out and gone, I have pictures I will try to post. Any how...I called the homeowner and told him we had to put new decking on....no choice, he asked how much $ and I said around 25 a sheet about 40 sheets.....he said "WHEW...OK". It ended up taking 45.

Well we are on our 5th day on this job and now are up to almost 60 sheets of decking total! Even the newer mansard roof was rotted away in spots....we used 15 sheets of decking on a 10 square mansard! I have replaced about 10 rafters, rebuilt all around 2 windows in the mansard & 60 sheets of decking.

I am just freaking thinking this guy is going to shit when he gets his bill.....final bill is going to be 25-30% higher than estimate.

In my estimates I always write that no decking is included and put the additional cost if needed...but I kind of pride myself on my final bill being less than my initial estimate. This job has just been a killer...and I hope the homeowner don't think I did this on purpose. If I would have known the decking was bad....I would have told him up front to expect added expenses. I can see a sheet or 2 of decking.....but to not see the entire house was bad....makes me look bad.

How you guys deal with this stuff?

Thanks!

November 23, 2009 at 7:59 a.m.

RandyB1986

All went well....homeowner was pleased, which was most important. Guess I just proved my theory that 99% of the things we worry about......we need not worry about.

Jed....Man don't let my subs know you pay $45.

They only charged me $15 per sheet and I provided materials. I usually charge $1 Square Foot for decking but after seeing it take 4 guys, most of 2 days to tear off shingles and install 47 sheets of decking and felt paper.......I may be increasing that price. They had 60 man hours before they ever got to lay a shingle!! In that 60 hours they tore off 18 Square, installed 47 sheets and installed felt. Don't seem like much $$$ for so many hours.

Glad this one is finished.

November 20, 2009 at 9:28 a.m.

Jed

Tinner's right, if you got a clear conscience then be straight with the H/O. You cut him a deal on the decking though, we pay our subs $45 a sheet and charge the customer considerably more. That being said I do see "some" bad boards but from the pics am not sure if it warranted a whole re-deck. As for working with him on the price "wants to do the roof but that with him just spending an unexpected $7500 on the foundation"......uh uh dude, you knew your budget from the get go and that ain't a legitimate proposition. Be careful you don't get screwed Lanny.

November 19, 2009 at 10:50 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I found that OSB is usually cheaper than 3/8 CDX, probably why he did not use it.

I see you use the cusion trick too!

When you come across all these problems, its key to document eveything on paper ans with pics. Sent my crews out to tearoff a 25 sq flat shed. Turned out to be 6 layers

2 mopped 1 rolled roofing 1 torched 2 more rolled roofing

and plenty of deck replacement....all that extra money for a worn out wood shed! They wanted to save the structure though.

November 19, 2009 at 8:39 p.m.

OLE Willie

It always sux when that happens! Its similar to underbidding only to find out your short near the end of the job. Usually you can tell if something is fishy. Like if you know the house is really old then you should be suspicious of this and when you walk the roof you can tell if the decking might be rough most of the time. Also you can take a nail bar up on the roof and peel open an area in the middle of the roof to see if the decking is spaced and get a much better idea of what kind of condition it may be in. Then just put the nails back. We always check the number of layers and type of wood decking in the middle of a side in a wide open area with no penetrations. Checking only edges or bottoms can be a waste of time as sometimes they tear off as much as 3 feet all around the house before they will nail over the rest. Also like the job you are on the edges and bottoms can be 1 x 4 tounge and groove and the main house something else. Sometimes houses around our area were originally decked with 3/8 inch plywood which might have been ok when it was new but when re-roofing years later they often need re-decked as well. Sometimes it can be tricky to tell if they need redecked with 1 or more roofs still on the house but after removing the roofing then you know for sure. Its probably best in those cases just to bid to redeck period if you know the house has 3/8 decking. ( which you CAN check an edge or bottom to be sure of that ) Anywho, once your in the position of having a roof off and an unsuspecting homeowner concerning wood repair or redecking all you can do is tell them the truth and request that they meet you at the house so you can show them what your talking about before you start all the wood repairs. Of course a good prayer can't hurt anything either! lol

November 19, 2009 at 6:28 p.m.

RandyB1986

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Shanlee70/SickelsRoof010.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Shanlee70/SickelsRoof013.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Shanlee70/SickelsRoof004.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Shanlee70/SickelsRoof016.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Shanlee70/SickelsRoof014.jpg[/IMG]

November 19, 2009 at 6:22 p.m.

tinner666

I had it happen twice this year. Both were doozies. I just go, hat in hand, and tell the truth. I hate it too. Most of my extimates are open ended with no final price. I just note "I'll try not to exceed $xx,xxx. I love bringing the job in a few K under my expected high.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest