User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

How many roofers close there doors during the winter months?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Terry

We have never closed our doors but I was surprised by the number of roofers that I've talked to, that said they close there doors Dec. - Feb. I can't see how that would be cost effective or goodwill with your customers. I'd be PO'D if I had a roof installed in the summer and couldn't reach my roofer during Dec./Feb. :unsure:

January 5, 2010 at 2:00 p.m.

Old School

Roofing company! If you are really small, you don't have to worry about a bunch of people to keep paying when no money is coming in. (roofer) If you just sub everything out, then you are a company and not a roofer; course if that is the case, don't bitch about the quality of the "workers" you have.

If you could get $1,000 square for every square your company installed and you did 100 squares a week, you could afford to lay everyone off and pay them unemployment in the winter for 3 months and still pay your foremen a salary to do the repairs in the winter or to drink coffee or to take vacations for that matter. It is all a matter of dollars. Heck, join Roofers Success International. It sounds like that is what they encourage you to do, raise your prices and market to make the amount of volume go up with the price.

If you just give out "prices" or quotes, you are a price taker. If you do a lot of marketing and build the value and then give a high price and make lots of money, you are a salesman. Without sales, nothing is done. IF you want to have more than 2 or 3 people working, you had better become a good salesman so that you can earn a really good living.

I don't really enjoy selling, but I do like to make things and work with my hands. I will be comfortable and still swing a hammer, and sell when I feel like it. I will never be a "businessman" again.

January 2, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.

pnunes

For any roofing company to survive profitability through the winter months they have to be marketing themselves as a service provider with emergency services and focus on repairs all year round.

January 2, 2010 at 12:27 p.m.

Roofsrus1

After losing my wife and then my business partner who was my dear father-the business matters have suffered while I rested and grieved. But a new year and it has its challenges. But I was fortunate in meeting g a woman who is now a very good, almost best friend and she has the business expertise to help me organize my entire financial matters and get that forward momentum going again. Lori is her name and she has helped me get some of the spark back into not only my life but also the business. The thought of closing for the winter is abhorrent to me and during this period of inclement and cold wintry weather is now upon jus-I will learn to love the paperwork and administrative detail end of business. We will really get the marketing and hustle together again. There is a bit of joy in life again. Thank God!!

January 2, 2010 at 12:12 a.m.

Old School

That's how we roll anyway! Same to you!

December 29, 2009 at 9:49 a.m.

RandyB1986

I don't shut down of a winter time but I do advise all my roof customers to wait until Spring, unless it is leaking or is new construction. If we get a warm spell and have a small job we will do it...but nothing serious.

I have worked in the winter...but I don't like roofing(shingles) in it. Seems like it creates nothing but headaches.

Our customers can call my office phone 24/7/365....since it is in our home, we never really close.

I usually try doing other work of a winter time, besides plowing snow...like flooring, drywall or insulation. This winter has been slow....I am growing bored now that Christmas is over and temp hasnt been above freezing in a week and only getting colder!

Come on Spring....

December 29, 2009 at 9:00 a.m.

Terry

pgriz...I'm with you, I have a list that I put together all year of things that I need to accomplish during the winter when things slow down. Really that's how we got started in roofing doing repairs and maintenance on commercial jobs that the big dogs didn't want. Now everybody with a ladder is doing "repairs". Thoes were the days just my husband and me, making great money, very little overhead, living life and loving it!!!

December 28, 2009 at 11:42 p.m.

pgriz

For me, the only time I have some spare time to think about improving stuff, is during the "slow" time in winter. The rest of the time it is {Sell, install, collect.. (Repeat)}. Our season should have finished in mid-December. We're still working, at least to mid-January. The new season is supposed to start on April 1, weather-permitting. To keep all the crews busy, I've got to have at least 200-300K of sales before April. So the sales staff is working from February onwards. The install crews have to get their gear put together, and whatever changes to procedures, training, materials, have to get done in March (latest). Marketing for February sales already started. So there's no such thing as shutting down for winter. Just a different kind of frenzied activity. :angry: ;) :woohoo:

December 28, 2009 at 9:35 p.m.

kage

I wish,but its the darnest thing...my guts keep howlin for more food... :dry:

December 28, 2009 at 5:39 p.m.

OLE Willie

I absolutely despise the cold weather. Cold weather for me = 45 degrees or less. lol The lower it goes under that the more i despise it. However, I just put on long socks, then sweat pants and tuck into the socks at the bottom, wear a long, long sleeved shirt and tuck into the sweat pants at the top, then put on a sweat shirt and oversized jeans over top of all that, AND wear a coat. I took off christmas day and the weekend having finished up every lead that i had at the time. Monday morning i woke up to a dozen leads taken by the answering service and todays high was 43 degrees. This morning started off at 28 degrees. Grrrrrrrrrrrr and Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! I would rather it be slower this time of year but not gonna happen this week as its supposed to rain again Wednesday. :S

December 28, 2009 at 4:37 p.m.

Old School

The trick is that you have to charge enough in the warm months so that you can work only when absolutely necessary in the winter. We just pick our days!

December 28, 2009 at 2:41 p.m.

copperman

I would love too. But those stinky kids wont stop eating for a couple of months :angry: I did close one year for the month of February which is our coldest month for working. It was fun. Now I have most days off due to lack of work. Just patch jobs is all I'm doing. But it's ok, little over head and easy days, just low cash flow. A few years back I got pretty much debt free except the mortgage so we can get by on a dime. Will be starting a 23 square slate roof in a week or two. 6 square of copper standing seam and 200 ft of copper gutter. That should help the cash flow a bit.

December 28, 2009 at 1:24 p.m.

Jed

If we closed our doors then my boys would'nt get a paycheck. If our sub's closed their doors they would likely break up and go work elsewhere. Roofing in the CT winter was brutal bur we never closed up. There was always something to do even if it was only snow removal from big flat roofs for insurance purposes.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo