User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Hot Mop.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Jed

Apart from the obvious, (hard to work with, wasteful, etc) what are the detriments of hot mopping with Type IV asphalt that is below reccomended temp? Is it bad for the roof? Are you supplying an inferior product?>>>

September 25, 2009 at 6:32 p.m.

egg

kaboom...lol (not all that funny but I always end up laughing for some reason...maybe it's just nervous release or maybe it's some kind of perverse joie de vivre...no idea)

The actual sound it makes has always been kind of close to kaboom. More like ka-WHOMP Bang! There I go laughing again, just like clockwork. Can't seem to help myself.

When we did significant hotwork, we would run Trumbull between 525 and 550 in the kettle or the lower melt alternate between 500 and 525. We never had any flashing at the kettle UNLESS the kettleman was snoozing when we started running a large straight go and drawing a lot of hot suddenly. We were not doing commercial work so we always worked out of a smallish pump kettle. You have to plan ahead with that. You don't want to be waiting for supply, you don't want to be pushing sludge, and neither do you want to burn your equipment to the ground. We would run it down fairly low at the end of the day for a faster heat-up in the AM. Usually it all went quite smoothly, though the lid did get violently exercised on occasion. If you've ever seen a cat flatten back its ears and dilate its pupils, that's about how people react when a kettle pops. At first, that is. After that, the reactions get a little more diverse.

Anyway, our application temp usually ended up being in the high fours. If it wouldn't sizzle in the cart when you spit in it, we would siphon or send it back and start over unless there was enough empty capacity in there to bring it up to heat with fresh hot. I am a shingler to the bone and don't consider myself a true hot man, but I did it for a lot of years, turned out many solid products and came to a huge appreciation of the art; it is an art.

September 25, 2009 at 5:12 p.m.

Aaron

500F in the bucket and I'll mop for you all year. Problem I find is that most kettlemen dont know what it looks or smells like when it's reaching EVT and the small range before kaboom.

September 25, 2009 at 7:40 a.m.

Jed

Well that's odd :huh: Yesterday I posted that I had printed out the info and made binders for the shop, thanking egg for the info..... and it has dissapeared. yeah I noticed most of the tests pertain to type III also but the comparisons should be close enough.

September 24, 2009 at 3:52 p.m.

egg

I neglected to state that virtually all my experience has been with Type3 asphalt. (That article is pretty interesting in its own right. A lot of people have put a lot of effort into this industry. Almost exhausting just to contemplate how much effort.)>>>

September 24, 2009 at 1:30 a.m.

egg

http://www.owenscorning.com/trumbull/resources/downloads/temp_and_viscosity.pdf

"... In most instances, specimens prepared at application temperature at or above the EVT produced the more uniform interply mopping weights when compared to the specimens prepared at lower application temperatures. Machine application at temperatures below the EVT becomes irratic and difficult."

>>>

September 23, 2009 at 9:45 p.m.

Alba

Back in the days we kept the kettle hot at around 560-580.By the time the asphalt was pumped and ready to be applied the temp would drop to around 500.>>>

September 23, 2009 at 9:54 a.m.

elcid

Having a proper evt is just one part of the equation for a successful application. Have you ever had to deal w/ "Summer" felts, when the manufacturers applies talc to the felts to keep them from sticking. Happened to us years ago when using Phillip Carey materials, and the hot stuff just floats negating any adherence between the plies. Their tech people came out to the job, to check and report the problem. Here it is 47 years later and still haven t heard - glad I didn t hold my breath.>>>

September 23, 2009 at 9:50 a.m.

Jed

Duplicate post.>>>

September 23, 2009 at 9:48 a.m.

Jed

EVT is 525. Flashpoint around 550. We got ranges here down to 300?? Mopping at less than 5 would set me on the kettle mans ass as it is....>>>

September 23, 2009 at 9:29 a.m.

Alba

The minimum temp is around 300.Plies won't stick goodtogether.The asphalt will be too thick and will crack and aligorate faster down the road.>>>

September 22, 2009 at 11:53 p.m.

egg

Hey Jeff, "... before it was hot enough to pump (carried it up the ladder one bucket at a time..."

You can pull out hot that is plenty hot from the center before the pump is thawed out enough to pump. Everything in your bucket could very well be at EVT and more before the kettle is. A bit dangerous extracting it though.>>>

September 22, 2009 at 11:50 p.m.

egg

welp, 400 is a tad too cold for me. You would have to be on a straight go and constantly replacing it with fresh hot to come out well at 400 degrees. 450 minimum imo. This is for hand-mopping; I know nothing about temps on machines. If you pump hot out of the kettle at 400, you cannot put the mop down for anything or the next time you pull it out of the cart you have glop. Once it sits at 400 it seems to crave the three hundreds. Anything in the threes, even the high threes, does not fly unless you are mopping insul down; gotta have sludge for that biz. Or maybe graveling something in.>>>

September 22, 2009 at 11:10 a.m.

builderr

I love the smell of pre-flashed pitch in the morning...... fact is.....asphalt that is mopped when not hot enough is hard work, and applies very thick, and asphalt that is too hot.... well, you'll be spending more time hoping that there's no fire. 400 degree asphalt is perfect for mopping between felts for adequate felt/ asphalt combination. too cold.....too thick...too hot, too thin.... simple as that......test cut forensics can determine asphalt temperatures based on thickness between plies.

>>>

September 22, 2009 at 7:35 a.m.

The FNRUFR

it,s just fun to yell HOT....>>>

September 22, 2009 at 7:04 a.m.

wywoody

You know the world is turning upside down when we have roofers that know the definitions of words like occlude and equiviscous and Presidents that struggle to know the definitions of words like tax and is.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos