User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

HORRIBLE ACCIDENT THIS MORNING - PLEASE PRAY!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

I was laying in bed and they said there was some propane tanks exploded on a jobsite. The news showed live shots of a 1/2 kettle 1/2 tanker looking thing and I told my husband that I thought it was a piece of roofing equipment. The tanks looked intact and I didn't think anything more of it. News just came on again and it was a asphalt tanker. The asphalt flashed and the tanker exploded. Two guys on the trailer burned, one 60% of his body including his face.

I know what this means - I have seen it. I have seen a man that was covered in asphalt from a tanker that flashed. It burned his ears, nose and eyelids off. These poor men will be living in horrible pain for quite a while and possible disfigurement. Roofing is tough and accidents happen but this kind of accident is so horrific.

Way to start our the OSHA stand down week.

Asphalt is the second worst burn in the world - only second to sulfur.

I felt I had to share so we can all say a prayer for them. They are going to need our prayers. I just feel like crying.

December 25, 2016 at 4:54 p.m.

tinner666

That's sad to hear. Not sure how I missed the earlier post. I suffered some serious burns on both hands once, and I really feel for those guys. Asphalt isn't very forgiving.

November 14, 2016 at 1:38 p.m.

Mike H

Heating frosted propane tanks, and cold asphalt pipes/fittings, with a propane torch almost a daily occurrence. Only need to forget to drain the pumper pipe once, and you'll likely never forget to do it again.

November 14, 2016 at 9:47 a.m.

vickie

After all this time I saw this this morning:

http://www.workerscompensation.com/compnewsnetwork/news/24926-cal-osha-cites-roofing-company-after-preventable-tanker-explosion-burns-two-workers.html

Really? It's like smoking at the gas station while you are filling up.

May 3, 2016 at 4:27 p.m.

Old School

That is one advantage of the single ply roofing. There is almost no hot applied anywhere around here anymore. Ouch!

May 2, 2016 at 7:59 p.m.

vickie

Still upset.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting Group - Banner Ad - COO On Demand
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June