User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Home Gun Range

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RoofDude

I remember Tim talking about an indoor range, & thought the idea was really cool. I don't have the indoor capability but, have some land. Plenty of places to safely shoot anything from handguns to long guns. However, most of the best places were in areas I didn't want to have to go to. Hell, I hunt some of those areas as well.

So... I decided to put a range where it was convenient, easily accessible, & safe. Here's what I came up with. It's a short walk, in a cool spot, & has a safe lane.

The railroad ties, I was able to get cheap. A lot of the ties have been replaced on the tracks nearby, & ties could be had, cheap.

I wanted something that had a more serious "feel" to it, than just nail a target on a tree, or even against some ties. I have a similar design I use for archery practice, & really liked the feel/look of this setup.

The "box" behind the railroad ties is full of dirt/sand. At the very top of it, I put a couple inches of top soil, & grass seed. I plan on putting a waterproof box attached to the back to hold, targets, stickers, markers, etc..

I've thought about putting some lighting in the target stand but, reality is... I don't shoot at night.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Very functional, looks good, & wasn't terribly expensive. Although, I will admit, it was a little labor intensive putting it all together. Mainly the ties/backstop. Building the target stand was the easy part. Did that in a few hours once the posts were set.

From the edge of the shooting table, it is exactly 50yds to the targets.

What you don't see in these pics.... I put a pistol table a few yards back, off to the side of the lane. Also added some benches for seating. It was a big hit this summer when I had some family visiting. I've had a couple first time shooters seated. They really had a good time.

Anybody else build something like this...??

January 20, 2016 at 10:31 a.m.

Pot Gregory

You need to progress to one like this fellers RD https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

January 20, 2016 at 10:26 a.m.

Jack-Legge

ARRRRRRRRRRRRR...WELL SHIVER ME TIMBERLINES KID...YE'ULL PUT YE ONLY GOOD EYE OUT THER,YE WILL!!!!

November 17, 2015 at 8:18 a.m.

tinner666

Nice set up. We have a 'clothesline' between trees to attach targets too for some shooting, Long range is a board or two with target taced on, or a gong. Yes, Canada seems to be a 'guilty until proven innocent' place. Bummer.

November 16, 2015 at 11:13 a.m.

seen-it-all

Anyone else build something like this.....?

Nice looking setup. Up here in Canada you can discharge long guns legally on your property if you live in certain rural areas but .... It is illegal to try to construct a safe area to do so.

You could nail a target to tree and legally shoot at it but it would be illegal to build a safe area like you have there.

You have to apply for a " certified " gun range facility which would entail getting the police and government officials involved, land surveys, community approvals, $2 million insurance, have a range master and instructor on site, document every round fired by who and keep those records for six years.

No good deed goes unpunished.

November 16, 2015 at 7:23 a.m.

RoofDude

Roofguy Said: I dunno, the more I look at your box/dirt design, the more I like it.

It's definitely way more than needed...lol. However, I just wanted something that had a more "range feel" to it than just a safe area to shoot. Which was accomplished. Everyone who has sent rounds down range really likes it.

Most people round here, have a target nailed to a tree. Or shoot in a holler somewhere with a natural back stop. Being able to comfortably sight in a rifle is important in my opinion. The nearest range is a ways away. Plus, my range has already paid for itself vs. range fees, & travel expenses to said ranges.

The most challenging part of the build, depending on the labor you have helping you build it is, setting those railroad ties. They aren't light..lol. I have pretty rocky ground I'm digging in too. So, digging holes for posts around here ain't exactly easy either.

When building the box on the back... ya leave one side open, & close it in as you fill it with dirt. Unless you have a tractor that is....which I don't. After it sits for awhile, you'll need to add dirt. It will settle after it rains a few times. Once settled, add some top soil to the top, & some grass seed to prevent erosion.

I've seen a few home ranges.... although, tried to make mine a unique design. Glad you guys like it B)

November 16, 2015 at 7:10 a.m.

RoofDude

Mike H Said: Purdy Schweet thar, Mr. Schindler

Would be nice to have a little better view of whats behind there, but I reckon trespassers approaching gun fire deserve to die anyway, right? Its Darwins theory, in action.

:)

LOL... there's about 100 or so more yards of heavy woods directly behind the backstop. 1 house in the general direction BUT, it is about 150' lower elevation. Then, nothing but woods & the side of a mountain. When you see it in person you'll agree it's 100% safe ;)

wywoody Said:

The pictures look like they were from right after is was built, Roofdude. Is the timber framing still unscathed by stray bullets?

The framing is still all unscathed. I did have to rebuild one of the target holders though. It took a .45 round right through the metal clip that holds the paper targets on. It's pretty eye opening how difficult it is to accurately dump a magazine, even at close range with most handguns B)

November 15, 2015 at 4:00 p.m.

wywoody

I imagine someone coming from the opposite direction seeing the box on the back and the gable and thinking, "cool, someone built a deluxe outhouse here in the woods".

The pictures look like they were from right after is was built, Roofdude. Is the timber framing still unscathed by stray bullets?

November 15, 2015 at 12:40 p.m.

Mike H

Purdy Schweet thar, Mr. Schindler

Would be nice to have a little better view of what's behind there, but I reckon trespassers approaching gun fire deserve to die anyway, right? It's Darwin's theory, in action.

:)

November 15, 2015 at 9:38 a.m.

CIAK

Nice B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Ever Day

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sherwin-Williams - Banner Ad - Roofing Passport
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Fire
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style