User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

hey a little help would be appreciated

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

ROOFITRIGHT

i got a call today from a big client,they asked me if i could install a curb around a 24by 24 exhaust vent.i have never heard of a curb and ive been in buisiness for 13 years.this is on a flat roof.my guess is that they want me to in install the whole vent from the roof because it is a flat roof.but i thought he was talking about like a rain diverter but you dont need that on a flat roof!

November 20, 2009 at 8:30 a.m.

elcid

Lanny - you brought up another issue. Your explanation covered a roof ventilator whereby the base incorporates a flange that overlaps the curb. However, centrifugal fans anchored to the roof creates a whole host of problems. We would isolate these fans by installing a wooden platform over a curb, and waterproof same w/ suitable roofings. Thus, in the event of leakage in that area, examination would be basically limited to 4 mounting screws. Oftimes, pitch pans are used, which IMHO are a pain in the arse.

November 19, 2009 at 9:26 a.m.

elcid

You mentioned it was an exhaust vent. Even more important - how hot is it. If it is a flue of some sort, the curb should be isolated from touching it. It may be necessary to contact clients insurance company, if they require class "A" or "B' construction. These vents also require counter flashings, which are just as important as the curbs.

November 18, 2009 at 8:16 p.m.

jcagle9595

No offense intended, but, Holy Moly..... 13 years and never heard of a curb? Then it seems doubtful that you would know how to tie one in either. Do the client a favor and decline.

November 18, 2009 at 5:40 p.m.

CIAK

This may be helpful http://www.roofcurb.com/

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

LP Building Solutions - Banner Ad - Remodlers Edge
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad