User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Gravel surfaced BUR to Energy Star qualified cool roof?!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Colpaw

I have a customer that would like to know options for making a gravel surfaced BUR a an Energy Star qualified cool roof! Customer is open to ideas to include an over using a mod/bit product with acrylic coatings, spudding off entire roof surface & installing 2 to 3 plies & acrylic coating, complete tear off. They want options! Any ideas? My suggestion is a tear off, but my customer has to answer to local tax payers since this is a county job.>>>

July 30, 2009 at 6:39 a.m.

Jed

Macroof's escaped from the asylum?>>>

July 29, 2009 at 2:59 p.m.

JWilliams

IN YO FACE SUCKA! >>>

July 28, 2009 at 6:33 p.m.

robert

bump! :woohoo:>>>

July 22, 2009 at 11:58 a.m.

Jed

......like I said.>>>

July 22, 2009 at 11:16 a.m.

JET

Jed Said: You have something factual to back up your bluster, or just the typical single ply guys illinformed opinions?

Bluster :huh:......no just 23 years in the business and a ton of OJT. They can't even get it to work at NASA. That's gotta tell 'ya somethin'......no?

JET>>>

July 20, 2009 at 8:14 a.m.

Jed

You have something factual to back up your bluster, or just the typical single ply guy's illinformed opinions?>>>

July 20, 2009 at 8:00 a.m.

JET

Jed Said: Not SO. You will get energy star rating, LEED, and tax credits using SPF, have a far better R rating than TPO or PVC, a roof that is guaranteed to outlast TPO or PVC, (many SPF roofs last as long as forty-fifty yrs, as opposed to twenty if your lucky with your thin sheet of plastic) a wind uplift to which nothing else compares, and, like I said, If the substrate is dry.......will not have too use a recover board or rip the roof.

JET Said: Really depends on the decks condition. If there are too many soft areas youll have to do a complete tear-off and then repair the deck first, regardless of the final cover system. I assume what theyre looking for is an energy saving roof system. Youll have to go TPO or PVC over an insulation board to get this rating and energy tax credit. Our system cuts utility costs 25-50% and this is a HUGE selling factor these days as utility costs are a fixed expense and constantly going up. Down here Progress Energy has had two rate hikes this year alone. My homes utility bill was $326 last month which is ridiculous IMO.

JET

You've got to be kidding Jed........that crap is meant for inside insulation jobs only. Anyone passing this junk off as roofing material should be jailed.

JET>>>

July 17, 2009 at 11:46 a.m.

Jed

Not SO. You will get energy star rating, LEED, and tax credits using SPF, have a far better R rating than TPO or PVC, a roof that is guaranteed to outlast TPO or PVC, (many SPF roofs last as long as forty-fifty yrs, as opposed to twenty if your lucky with your thin sheet of plastic) a wind uplift to which nothing else compares, and, like I said, "If the substrate is dry".......will not have too use a recover board or rip the roof.

JET Said: Really depends on the decks condition. If there are too many soft areas youll have to do a complete tear-off and then repair the deck first, regardless of the final cover system. I assume what theyre looking for is an energy saving roof system. Youll have to go TPO or PVC over an insulation board to get this rating and energy tax credit. Our system cuts utility costs 25-50% and this is a HUGE selling factor these days as utility costs are a fixed expense and constantly going up. Down here Progress Energy has had two rate hikes this year alone. My homes utility bill was $326 last month which is ridiculous IMO.

JET

>>>

July 17, 2009 at 10:39 a.m.

JET

Really depends on the deck's condition. If there are too many soft areas you'll have to do a complete tear-off and then repair the deck first, regardless of the final cover system. I assume what they're looking for is an energy saving roof system. You'll have to go TPO or PVC over an insulation board to get this rating and energy tax credit. Our system cuts utility costs 25-50% and this is a HUGE selling factor these days as utility costs are a fixed expense and constantly going up. Down here Progress Energy has had two rate hikes this year alone. My home's utility bill was $326 last month which is ridiculous IMO.

JET>>>

July 17, 2009 at 8:10 a.m.

Jed

IF the substrate is dry, then a SPF roof over the top after the gravel is removed would be an ideal solution. Less work, less money, and a beautiful new roof. Look into it.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo