User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

got any advice

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

jjshaggy

here's my problem,living here in IL companies close up shop for the winter. maybe they'll work a couple guys thru winter but not steadily.i worked for a company that had alot of out of state work until they folded a year ago but not the norm so usually come spring i have to shop myself around again. here in the chicago area almost all non union companies have lots of hispanics working for them, and i am fluent in spanish and have been a foreman for a few companies so i seem a great prospect to owners. problem is i was promoted so fast because of my language abilities i didnt have the chance to learn everything so i lack experience. so here's the dilema im tired of bouncing around from yard to yard every year, i want to stay with company and have a sense of security. if i return to the union id have to be 3rd year apprentice where i left off which the pay is comparible to being a non union foreman plus most non union have terrible benefit packages,if any at all. but i'd be a small fish in a big pond. when i apply to non union companies they see my resume and want me to be a foreman and if i say no but id like to work on 1 of your crews they suddenly lose interest in me 1 guy even was honest with me and told me he'd like to but thought i wouldn't stick around if i got an offer to be a foreman somewhere else. i was honest with him and he was honest with me, but it still got me nowhere. so any advice would be appreciated. hopefully i didnt spark a huge debate union vs non and the use of illegal labor not my intention. thanks, jj

February 4, 2024 at 7:07 p.m.

helendam

I understand your frustration, jj. It sounds like you're in a tough spot where your language skills are both a blessing and a curse in the Chicago construction industry. Here are some thoughts based on your situation:

Addressing the Lack of Experience:

Consider Upskilling: Even though you were promoted quickly, there's always room to learn more. Look into training courses or certifications relevant to your desired field within construction. This could demonstrate your commitment to growth and fill any skill gaps.
Highlight Relevant Skills: When applying for non-foreman positions, emphasize your transferable skills gained from being a foreman, such as problem-solving, leadership, communication, and teamwork.
Navigating the Union vs. Non-Union Dilemma:

Weigh the Pros and Cons: Consider the long-term benefits of the union, like better pay, benefits, and job security, against the initial lower pay and potential slower advancement.
Seek Union Mentorship: Talk to union members and leaders to understand their career paths and how you can navigate the system effectively.
Marketing Yourself to Non-Union Companies:

Target Smaller Companies: Smaller companies might be more Pokemon Infinite Fusion willing to offer opportunities to learn and grow alongside their team.
Network and Build Relationships: Attend industry events, connect with construction professionals online, and let them know you're open to non-foreman roles.
Negotiate Flexibly: Be open to starting in a lower position but express your aspirations for advancement based on your skills and willingness to learn.
Additional Tips:

Focus on Your Value Proposition: What makes you stand out besides your language skills? Highlight your work ethic, reliability, and positive attitude.
Network within the Hispanic Community: Leverage your bilingualism to connect with Hispanic construction professionals who might have insights into job opportunities.
Don't Be Afraid to Negotiate: If you land a non-foreman role, negotiate your salary and benefits based on your experience and skills.
Ultimately, the best choice depends on your individual priorities and career goals. Consider all options carefully, network actively, and continue developing your skills to land the role that provides the stability and satisfaction you seek.

Remember, this is just advice, and it's important to do your own research and explore all options before making a decision. Good luck with your job search!

November 24, 2023 at 2:49 a.m.

ericwillson

The Preliminary Estimate provided here is exceptionally insightful and well-detailed. It serves as a valuable resource for anyone navigating the complexities of project planning. The attention to detail and accuracy in forecasting costs make it an indispensable tool in the initial phases of any endeavor. I appreciate the effort invested in presenting such a comprehensive estimate, as it significantly contributes to informed decision-making. Kudos to the team for delivering a resource that aligns seamlessly with industry best practices. This is a must-reference for professionals seeking a solid foundation in project Preliminary Estimate

February 3, 2011 at 1:47 p.m.

jjshaggy

yeah I got license and car TRG. I had thought about my response last nite and thought it may have been a little hasty. One thing I learned when I was traveling roofing lifetime fitness centers was you gotta go where the works at. I guess I was worried about where id live and leaving/ relocating my family, but opportunity only knocks once. So yes soldierboy I am definitely interested.

February 1, 2011 at 7:10 p.m.

jjshaggy

doh! im in chicago. just my luck someone willing to help me and they're 2 states away. you getting any of this snow yet we have about 4-5 in. now and supposed to snow all night.

February 1, 2011 at 6:39 p.m.

soldierboy

Ohio

January 31, 2011 at 7:53 p.m.

jjshaggy

soldierboy tried to email you but computer not set up right. where are you located?

January 31, 2011 at 3:50 p.m.

soldierboy

JJ email me we love to train!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beacon - Banner Ad - Living the dream summer adventure 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar