Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Got a Moss Question

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

I was contacted by a guy in Hawaii wondering how to get rid of some moss on his roof. I have fogotten was it a copper wire run along the ridge or a zinc strip? Help please.

December 2, 2009 at 5:43 p.m.

seen-it-all

Go down to your local feed store and get some powdered zinc sulfate. They use it as a feed suppliment for cattle. If the roof is dry use a watering can and wet the ridge and sprinkle on the powder in the amount of about 1/2 lb. per square. If there is a lot of moss run a few lines across the roof. By wetting down the shingles before applying it causes the powder to form a crust to the roof and not blow away. As it rains the powder will dissolve and leach down the roof and kill the moss. The moss will dry up and blow away over time.

December 2, 2009 at 5:15 p.m.

hawaiianbuilt

..Hello, I am Hawaiian Built Roofing, I was enquiring about the Moss. However, We are in Boise Idaho, we have customers here who have that problem and I would like to help them. They know they need a new roof but they are on government housing and they have 3 years before the shingle time is supposed to be up...Go figure

December 2, 2009 at 8:45 a.m.

kage

Laundry soap works to keep it away..zinc strip works for only so long,like Dr.Roof says not as long as they claim.

December 2, 2009 at 3:05 a.m.

Lefty

Hi Vickie,

The zinc strip will not remove the moss.

You need to remove as much of the moss as you can without damaging the shingles. Then you spray on renew-it cleaner, let it sit and power wash the roof. Not a direct power wash more of a flooding spray.

I can sell him the cleaner and zinc strips if he can not find them locally.

December 1, 2009 at 7:06 p.m.

Dr.ROOF

Hello Miss Vickie. We have used the zinc strip at the peak with some degree of success, but nowhere near what the manufacturer claims.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

EagleView Assess -  Banner Ad - Visualizer
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
USG - Sidebar - Fire
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better