User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

General Liability Insurance

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

jimAKAblue

If your state does not require you to have a general liabilty insurance policy, do you think it's necessary for your business?

I'm kind of wondering that out loud because I started paying for GL back in the early 80's and I've never come close to filing a claim.

April 24, 2010 at 3:43 p.m.

TARBABY

I think it is important to have regardless, there is no law here forcing contractors, especially roofers to carry any kind of insurance, also there is no regulating of a license unless you are pulling permits for larger than 10,000.

So many contractors here even advertise that they are insured but when a customer asks for them to see there certificate they cannot produce it, which has in turn helped me seal a deal a good bit.

In my opinion just from a sales stand point it pays for itself and then some, let alone if you have an accident.

April 21, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.

JET

The most important thing is to know EXACTLY what your policy covers and what it doesn't. We found out the hard way during the '04 hurricanes that hit us. Policy does NOT cover "Acts of God".

JET

April 21, 2010 at 8:00 a.m.

robert

I just renewed for $12,500.00 can i have your agents no? :woohoo:

April 17, 2010 at 3:04 p.m.

WildBill

I lost a high school gym floor once...our temp roof leaked.....cost about $65,000 to replace the entire wood floor.... but the insurance companies have way more than recapped that loss on me. I think it is necessary, but it shouldn't cost as much as it does.

I wish I could bid against them insuring roofers.

I did some shopping around on my insurance this year and I saved about 25%, from what my agent was trying to sell me. It pays to get 3 bids.

April 17, 2010 at 12:44 a.m.

egg

I've been in business 37 years and I've filed exactly two claims. It wasn't my choice either time but let me tell you, it was definitely necessary. I don't care how careful you are, how ethical you are, how hard-working and diligent you are, how honest you are, or how strong you are. Every once in awhile there will be a reason you will need to file a claim. You'll know it when it comes and you will know it instantly. Insurance is cheap imho, and you are under absolutely no obligation to believe me.

April 16, 2010 at 5:39 p.m.

craftesman

i would not want to take the chance of not having it. why work all those years to get something and lose it on one mistake.

April 16, 2010 at 5:16 p.m.

robert

I have a million,cant work any commercial without it.Wouldnt want to have to worry about not having it, i have never filed a claim.But you cant read the future.

April 16, 2010 at 12:54 p.m.

Jed

It is insurance. It is necessary by definition.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July