User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Garnishment

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

wywoody

About a month ago I had a guy quit for another job. He had been with me for 5 weeks and was showing lots of promise. But after I received an garnishment order he quit to take an under-the-table job paying $20 per hour. With all my expenses, he was costing me $29 per hour, even though he was only clearing about $9 after deductions and garnishment.

When I look back over the years, three of the four guys that worked for me the longest had at one time a garnishment, but worked through it. But it's been a long time since that has been done. Nowadays everyone that has gotten a garnishment has had a dropoff of reliability and work output after getting a reduction of takehome pay from the garnishment. I don't understand the mindset of making your employer pay your bills and then resenting them for it.

November 9, 2015 at 9:00 p.m.

Old School

My oldest son pays child support and alimony plus he has his daughter over half of the time, all of the time when she gets sick. His ex works for cash and pawns the grand child off on grandma and generally does very little. If my son missed a payment though, I am sure he would be thrown into jail. How is that fair?

I had one guy that worked for me years back that would buy his daughter clothes and what ever else she need because her mother that he had to pay child support to never used it for the girl. He finally refused to give he anything and every time he was stopped, he went to jail. I would still like to know how the guys that have 3 or 4 or 5 kids with 5 different women get away without paying support. I knew one guy that had 25 kids and he didn't work.

November 9, 2015 at 6:26 a.m.

clvr83

If we(probably all of us) paid cash under the table, we wouldn't have to worry about hiring good help. I've lost a few due to child support and past rental problems biting them.

I don't get turning down a legal $20/hr job over $2,000. I'd quit mine about four times a year with this mentality.

November 9, 2015 at 12:03 a.m.

seen-it-all

Old school: In regards to the tax payer supporting those mothers with 3 or 4 kids, my two sons always comment that they wish they could get a picture of the family they are supporting.

November 8, 2015 at 6:56 p.m.

Old School

It is hard enough to make a living and then to have to pay your bills too? What is a man to do? All of us white folk work so that the other peoples don't have to. I am tired of being a slave. On the other hand, if it was child support, that is the "f" ing you get for the "F" ing you got. Course, there are a ton of single moms out there with 3 or 4 kids from 3 or 4 different fathers and I am sure that none of them pay support. We do! Something is wrong here!

November 8, 2015 at 10:59 a.m.

tinner666

Been through that lots of times as an employer. :(

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Adams & Reese - Banner Ad - Christopher Kane - Storm Ready: Insights on Hurricane Preparedness
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award