User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Funny Incident i was reminded of.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

tinner666

A fun little story. A couple of years ago, I was doing a 4-story Widow's Walk and renovation of the slate roof. The Lady of the house called one evening and said she had a huge leak where the carpenters must have left something open. She said she had a tub under it and it seemed fine. (the owners weren't always there, since they were moving in, over a period of 6-8 months.) Later, I was in bed when the rain got heavy and it really started dumping nonstop at 11Pm. I awoke again at 2 and it was still pouring, so I got dressed and went over. I let myself in and had a 5gal. bucket in my hand. As I started down the 3rd. floor hall, it suddenly occurred to me they might be there and shoot the poor roofer! I hadn't been bothering to turn lights on as I went either... Well, i made it up safely and nobody was there to shoot. I poured out 1/2 cup water into the sink, went back home and was able to relax and gt back to sleep, but the trauma of worrying about a leak, then getting shot was terrible. My wife and client bring it up every now and then to embarrass me. lol :laugh:

August 10, 2015 at 9:31 p.m.

Lefty1

You never can tell what people mean by I have water pouring into my house.

I was just out to a past customer. When I got there he showed me a spot on the ceiling the size of a half dollar and I had to strain my eyes to see it. It was probably there for the past 12 years since I put the roof on.

August 9, 2015 at 5:03 p.m.

seen-it-all

Years ago we did a 35 square reroof on a flat roof waterfront home of a logging company executive. We were installing a 4" wood cant around the perimeter to replace the old drip flashing detail and blackcoat board and torch membrane. There was a large rain storm forecast for the weekend so we only tore off half the roof and did a cutline where the old and new met. We blocked up both sides of the cutline with the wood cant strip and tarped it over. There was a low spot in the centre of the roof that might pose a problem so I sweated it out for 2 days over the weekend as the wind blew and we got 2" of rain waiting for the dreaded phone call. We showed up Monday morning and the owner met us and had a stern look on his face and said "Your roof leaked and water poured in. Let me show you where". He led me through the plush living room and kitchen through a door into the laundry. He pointed up to an unfinished seam on the drywall and said "It leaked through there into that laundry tub and down the drain" and then laughed as I breathed a sigh of relief. He said I must have horseshoes up my ass as that was the only unfinished ceiling in the house.

August 7, 2015 at 6:09 p.m.

Chuck2

I did some brick flashing work for a really picky guy in an upscale community one summer. He had the ceiling of his back porch done in tounge and groove. He repeatedly went on and on about how he would just die if it got water on it.

Well, about 4 pm as I had just finished all the flashing and only had to fill in the brick mortar line I had cut out with Geocel. ( about 30 feet of it ) the bottom fell out and it began to absolutely flood with lightning bolts coming straight down all around me. I was getting soaked and looked up noticing the overhang of the house from the upper roof was keeping the water from running down the brick wall so I wasn't concerned about it leaking.

I went inside the back porch room which had a brick chimney in the middle of it. What I did not know when I was on the roof was that all the water that collected on the chimney cap spilled over the chimney on the side where I had uncaulked flashing.

As I was sitting there calm, relaxed and not worried in the least, explaining to him how everything was fine not to worry, water started dripping from the tounge and groove ceiling at the chimney. That was one of the most awkward moments I have ever experienced. lol

August 7, 2015 at 7:37 a.m.

RoofDude

:laugh:

I have dealt with that anxiety before...neither are fun that's for sure.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SafetyHQ: Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award