User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Fixin' a boot flash.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

natty

For some reason this thing won't let me upload a picture.

Anyway, I have a roof that I am repairing. It is 10 years old GAF Camelot. I don't even know if anyone stocks them and now I think they are Camelot II. It has 13 lead boot flashings that have been eaten up by squirrels. I need to repair or replace. I am pretty sure I won't be able to match the shingles. So has anyone had experience with replacing flashings without needing to replace shingles?

I have seen and used the Perma-boot, but they are ugly and will really look bad on this house. Besides, they require a 12" stack and most of these are about 6".

February 21, 2017 at 11:46 a.m.

vickie

Clover send me the images and I will upload for you (I hope) vickie@rooferscoffeeshop.com

February 21, 2017 at 6:51 a.m.

clvr83

Oddly, I hope to be hearing back from these people soon and fixin a boot flash. 16 actually.

Dang it, my file uploader isn't working either. Making |url|'s and not uploading file to my file list on right. That's a hilarious picture too..

February 20, 2017 at 11:19 p.m.

sandea1

Once we had the same issue and we got it repaired by one the roof installation experts from Vaughan(http://www.rooflines.com/products/asphalt-shingle-roofing/). They just replaced the damaged flashings and the metal valleys. We also installed barriers for preventing the ice dam issues. It is better not to place new shingles on old wavy shingles, this would provide the home with a new look.

February 19, 2017 at 5:48 p.m.

egg

Not sure what's up with posting pictures. I guess you can't paste them or upload them directly from your computer. You can upload one from your computer to your rcs My File List and then click on that to post if you want.

Like this:

As for the sleeves, sounds like you have it well in hand then. Remember that lead and galvanized sheet metal can be used together. You could also cut away the sleeve to a comely height on the pipe and then add a vent shield. I have taken to making my own out of sheet metal and riveting the overlap. (I have come to despise anything made out of neoprene, and especially Oatey stuff.) When you're done, paint it an nobody will have any clue about anything ever having being done to anything.

February 19, 2017 at 4:14 p.m.

natty

I don't know why I can't load a pic.

I think I am going to just put another lead sleeve over the pipe and then glue a screen to the top to discourage squirrels. There is a difference between repairing a roof where they are just trying to get a couple of more years out of it, and repairing a "lifetime" roof that is only 10 years old. Most of the flashings were not originally installed to my liking anyway. It is so disturbing.

I found a product called "squirrel gard" on the web. But that thing would be ugly on a house like this, especially 13 of them. And at near $40 a piece, I think I can fabricate something myself.

February 18, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.

egg

Without a picture I find it hard to comment. Are these boots you're talking about the kind that have a lead tube stack soldered to a flat base where the lead sleeve is turned down into the top of the plumbing vent? If that's the case and the boots are cemented to the shingles and you can't simply rebuild the sleeve portion, it seems you have no choice but to break the shingles loose farther out and replace them, with the best match possible.

It's possible to rebuild lead, but t's not always easy. You have to get everything as bright and shiny as possible and you have to know how to solder. If it's 2# lead, I'd forget about that possibility. If it's 4# you could probably do it. But then you need to worry about squirrels again.

Just can't tell without a picture.

February 18, 2017 at 9:48 a.m.

Chuck2

The trick to installing the new ones is to have either removed enough surrounding nails that the old shingles don't get "stressed" or to just remove the top couple of shingles that are on top of the boot altogether and then reinstall them.

If the top shingle happens to butt together with another shingle right above the pipe, it can easily be done without removing the shingles and you can also cut the shingle to make it like that if you choose but i don't use that method very often.

Yes, you should always apply sealant under the shingle any time you break the seal and over the old nail holes if your reusing shingles. ;)

February 18, 2017 at 1:46 a.m.

natty

Taking the old one off is simple enough if you can break that contact cement, but how do you install a new one without breaking the shingles or stressing them out where they are irreparably damaged? Then you are left with all of those nail holes that I suppose you just pukey them?

February 18, 2017 at 1:02 a.m.

Chuck2

I replace pipe boots all the time Natty without changing the shingles but if they sealed the shingles down onto the lead boots with roof cement you can forget about it. If they sealed the shingles down with silicone you can usually peel it off without damaging anything but the best case of course would be that they did not apply any type of sealant.

You just have to use special care and "baby" the shingles as you unstick them with a flat bar and as you pull out the nails. A pair of tin snips are very handy to cut the old boots off. ( cut the front and spin the boot around and it will slide right down and off ).

February 15, 2017 at 6:57 p.m.

Old School

Ah, that explains it. No picture on our end anyway. You mean you don't want to get a big bucket of black Mammy and smear it all around them? Ol Jack Legg would be proud of you if you did that!

February 15, 2017 at 6:28 p.m.

natty

Is this thing not uploading pictures or am I doing it wrong?

February 15, 2017 at 1:01 p.m.

seen-it-all

Fixin' a boot flash---Must be nothing to it OS

February 14, 2017 at 10:18 p.m.

Old School

Hey Natty, Am I missing something here?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements