English
English
Español
Français

User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Firewall

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

tarstrip

Anybody had any experience with using "The Edge" intake vent at the edge of the roof and below the firewall to vent the roof?

April 25, 2024 at 5:43 a.m.

gurian

In the rapidly evolving world of artificial intelligence (AI), chatbots have emerged as a powerful tool for enhancing customer experiences.

April 16, 2024 at 5:16 a.m.

gurian

Here you can get complete information about our latest pet products. 

June 8, 2023 at 2:41 a.m.

Mike34

The ideas are given, I will try to absorb and try to follow

March 18, 2015 at 9:20 a.m.

Lefty1

You can put Smart Vent where ever you need it. We have installed it a foot below the ridge. Once we needed intake 12' from the eave.

I have not used the product you are using, but it should work.

March 18, 2015 at 8:33 a.m.

tarstrip

No.A cinder block firewall,it butts up against the underside of the roof deck.

March 18, 2015 at 7:28 a.m.

tarstrip

Thanks for the replies.I agree most people do not want to spend the extra $$ to open up the soffit's.I will say that we have used The Edge on a number of jobs (in Ohio) the last few years, the product has worked and we have had not one leak call back.I was just wondering if any one has used it near a firewall,where ridge vent is not a ventilation option?Or what do you think is a good way to vent the roof where the firewall is?

March 17, 2015 at 7:39 p.m.

natty

Old School Said: It works, and it is not that hard to do.
I love doing things that work. There is no doubt it works. The problem is getting paid for the work. Unless the property is so neglected that it needs to be rebuilt anyway, I rarely get to do it the right way. We live in an era of the gun and run roofer. In my area, more and more roofers are selling ridge vents. But they are rarely installed correctly and there is never enough soffit vents. The hardest part is convincing the property owner that the ventilation is necessary and that the price is justified. I am not trying to gouge them or upsell them. I do more work than the other guys say they will do.

March 17, 2015 at 5:13 p.m.

Old School

Natty, on something like that, we would set our scaffold to have something to work from, take off the old fascia and then extend the rafters to make a short overhang. New fascia, vented soffit, new decking for the extensions, and then use the scaffold to set up and roof the building. It would take about as much time and be 10 times better. I would then sell them a new gutter system for even more profit. It works, and it is not that hard to do.

March 17, 2015 at 4:44 p.m.

natty

Old School Said: Just My Humble Opinion! You need to have carpenter skills to do the necessary work at the soffit to fix a roof that is not breathing.

Not only that, you must have a property owner willing to PAY do to the necessary work. I have used The Edge twice both on 12/12 pitches and both on houses that had no soffit. They advertise that they are a zip to install. Ha! In the time it took to cut them in and square them up, I could have had the entire side of the house roofed.

March 17, 2015 at 9:24 a.m.

wywoody

Old School Said: Interesting Woody! If the air is moving is cant condense

That's another advantage to the soffit vent. When wind hits the side of a building the pressure builds and pushes upwards and the vent sucks in air like a hood scoop on a '60's muscle car. Not much of that air would find its way around a facia and gutter and have any induction pressure at "the Edge".

March 16, 2015 at 9:22 p.m.

Old School

Interesting Woody! If the air is moving is can't condense

March 16, 2015 at 9:29 a.m.

wywoody

I agree with you, OS. I also advocate that soffits have a continuous vent so that any roof leakage at the eave doesn't get transferred back to the wall. I have long had a hunch also that air under a soffit is drier than air not protected by the overhang and is therefore more desirable.

Recently I had a customer that had a leak from a behind a fireplace and efflorescence stains occurred below the roof. The customer got something he found online that was supposed to remove efflorescence. It did, but returned later and he called me back thinking it had to be still leaking even though no moisture was ever seen.

I went over there with a moisture meter to try to track if there was a leak still occurring. The results were inconclusive because there is so much variance in cast stone. But one thing I found interesting was on the cement crown, I got readings from 60-100% moisture content. I thought the only time you would get 100% with cement was when it was being poured.

I then checked the moisture content of the driveway and it too was 100% where it wasn't under the overhang, but dropped as soon as you got to the overhang down into the 20% range. This unscientific test with a cheap meter confirms my suspicion about the air under the soffit being drier. All of these readings were two days after any rain.

March 15, 2015 at 5:29 p.m.

Old School

Just My Humble Opinion! You need to have carpenter skills to do the necessary work at the soffit to fix a roof that is not breathing.

March 14, 2015 at 1:10 p.m.

Lefty1

We use Smart Vent. Use more every year. Been about 15 years since we started using it.

March 14, 2015 at 12:01 p.m.

Old School

I haven't used it and won't!! I know what they are thinking and why, but it is just a case of "using I & W over the whole roof again". The problem is lack of ventilation, often caused by over insulating the crap out of the eaves, or a poor design of the structure, and instead of opening up the soffit and installing full soffit vent with proper vents etc. their answer is to cut a hole in the roof right where the ice is going to build up and leaving a hole for the water to run into. You don't want to vent INTO the roof! The soffit is the place for intake.

I predict that in a few years, most of that will be torn out and covered over. good luck with that!JMHO

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

McCormack Succession and Exit Planning - Banner Register
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - DensDeck StormX eBook
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
McCormack Succession and Exit Planning - Sidebar Register
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2