User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Find leaks / Water Testing Procedures ?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

anotherguy

Please share with me. How should a shingle roof be tested during dry weather. Desert region: Shingle roof, 2:12 two plies 15# felt.

Does one just set a water hose on the roof and let it run? Moving it as needed to test different area's? Or. Do you put a sprinkler on the roof allowing the water to fall as rain would? What is the problem with moving a running hose from one are to another allowing it to run on the roof?>>>

August 8, 2009 at 4:31 p.m.

CIAK

Miscreant Said: Im really a roofer. I really am licensed to roof. Ive really been to college. Im not really a dog. These are four statements you could not truthfully make.

CIAK, there are either chemicals in your brain that shouldnt be there or some that should.

False and fraudulent accusations Miscreant . Throwing yourself to the dogs in lot with small minded grey gnats " Birds of a feather " " Romeo and Juliet ". Perhaps a meditation would clear the clouds from the mind . I was suspect you were better than than that . I believe you are . I'm still holding out you will come to your senses . I'll except your apology when you wake up from you slumber . Tch , Tch a little research will prove you embarrassingly wrong .>>>

August 8, 2009 at 2:55 p.m.

Miscreant

I'm really a roofer. I really am licensed to roof. I've really been to college. I'm not really a dog. These are four statements you could not truthfully make.

CIAK, there are either chemicals in your brain that shouldn't be there or some that should.>>>

August 8, 2009 at 9:42 a.m.

CIAK

Measure for Measure Miscreant, This sounds Polish to me .

Ty ani ciepła, uczucia, kończyn, ani piękna Aby twoje bogactwa przyjemne. Google for lanuage tools ;) ;) A hint I know it's Polish to you too . :laugh: :laugh: What a tool !!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B) B) My question back to you Miscreant , quamdiu etiam furor iste tuus nos eludet? quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit audacia? I won't try to hide behind a mask of congeniality . I'll translate for you ..........."For how long will that madness of yours mock us? To what end will your unbridled effrontery toss itself about?" I'm being attacked here by a stupid dog with sunglasses of all things . I'm willing to let it rest . I'll let the dogs have the table scraps . B) B) . I admitted to taking something a little to far . I was right in my assessment of Jets comment . End of story. I'm moving on.>>>

August 8, 2009 at 8:52 a.m.

Jed

Quo usque tandem abutere patientia nostra? Until enough rope is provided I reckon...>>>

August 7, 2009 at 2:40 p.m.

Miscreant

What is mayacopa? You don't mean mea culpa. do you?

I suggest getting English anchored down before you tackle Latin.

Quo usque tandem abutere patientia nostra?

.>>>

August 7, 2009 at 11:53 a.m.

JET

IMO the main reason we come here is to discuss roofing issues, not argue. Some of the posters (one in particular) here don't have a REAL job so the only thing they can offer is attitude which has gotten very old over the past few months. I always consider the source.

JET>>>

August 7, 2009 at 10:23 a.m.

Jed

Whatever dude..... I ask a civil question about a very expansive statement that I think ought to be validated. We can be a forum where purely subjective statements are made, not questioned by anyone, and consequently considered credible. Fine with me.

Noddy to Big Ears. ........."No really, I read it on the RCS"

Big Ears to Noddy. ........."Oh, I wouldn't believe anything those guys say, most of them don't know what they're talking about"

EDIT: "but this back and forth isn't winning friends and influencing people"

What we say, discuss, or argue about may very well be "influential" >>>

August 7, 2009 at 6:21 a.m.

CIAK

Yeah pgriz your right I aplogize to all the RCS'ers. I deleted that last reply. mayacopa mayacopa .Thanks Paul . I admit I got out there. Jets a good fellow . B) ;) ;) :laugh:>>>

August 6, 2009 at 7:54 p.m.

pgriz

:angry: :S Ok, guys, this pissin contest can stop. Declare yourselves winners, losers, whatever, but this back and forth isn't winning friends and influencing people. So... can... we... move... on? :(>>>

August 6, 2009 at 11:09 a.m.

Jed

Jed Said:
CIAK Said: Jet I Missed that in the manufacture warranty . Im still looking and it would be helpful if you could reply with where that is in the manufacture warranty. Stated in writhing by the manufacture. S/A felts though they look like a great product have not faced the test of real life climate conditions. They havent been around that long to really test them IMO

We first used them back in 93 in CT. Given your ineptitude with language I have to assume you are numerically challenged too, so that would be about 16 yrs ago (only trying to help)......not a bad test for a product that is protected from the elements with two layers of asphalt, adhered and nailed to a solid wood deck and whose lower edge is secured with nails or drip edge. What do you forsee happening that would warrant further time tests exactly?

So now that Jet has conceded his original statement was incorrect, ciak..........do you have the the wherewithall to answer the question put to you?>>>

August 6, 2009 at 11:09 a.m.

JET

CIAK Said:
JET Said:
craftesman Said: what are shingles doing on a 2-12 in the first place??????

Ditto.......shingle roofs under 4/12 pitch have no warranty from the mfg. without a peel and stick membrane covering the wood deck. Tear off and replace with single-ply membrane.

JET

And your point Jet ??? 6. LOW SLOPE APPLICATION On pitches 2 in. per foot to 4 in. per foot cover the deck with two layers of asphalt saturated felt. Begin by applying the felt in a 19 in. wide strip along the eaves and overhanging the drip edge by 1/4 to 3/4 in. Place a full 36 in. wide sheet over the 19 in. wide starter piece, completely overlapping it. All succeeding courses will be positioned to overlap the preceding course by 19 in. If winter temperatures average 25°F or less, thoroughly cement the felts to each other with TAM-PRO or TAMKO Plastic Roof Cement from eaves and rakes to a point of a least 24 in. inside the interior wall line of the building.

You didn't finish the paragraph.........."TAMKO's Moisture Grard Plus self-adhering waterproofing underlayment may be used in lieu of the cemented felts"

I guess my "point" is that no shingle roofer I've seen does anything NEAR this requirement for low slope shingle applications. When the roof fails.....and it will, the roofer (if he's still in business) will direct the customer to the mfg. for a solution.

JET>>>

August 6, 2009 at 10:42 a.m.

CIAK

JET Said:
craftesman Said: what are shingles doing on a 2-12 in the first place??????

Ditto.......shingle roofs under 4/12 pitch have no warranty from the mfg. without a peel and stick membrane covering the wood deck. Tear off and replace with single-ply membrane.

JET

And your point Jet ??? 6. LOW SLOPE APPLICATION On pitches 2 in. per foot to 4 in. per foot cover the deck with two layers of asphalt saturated felt. Begin by applying the felt in a 19 in. wide strip along the eaves and overhanging the drip edge by 1/4 to 3/4 in. Place a full 36 in. wide sheet over the 19 in. wide starter piece, completely overlapping it. All succeeding courses will be positioned to overlap the preceding course by 19 in. If winter temperatures average 25°F or less, thoroughly cement the felts to each other with TAM-PRO or TAMKO Plastic Roof Cement from eaves and rakes to a point of a least 24 in. inside the interior wall line of the building.>>>

August 6, 2009 at 9:54 a.m.

JET

CIAK Said: Jet I Missed that in the manufacture warranty . Im still looking and it would be helpful if you could reply with where that is in the manufacture warranty. Stated in writhing by the manufacture. S/A felts though they look like a great product have not faced the test of real life climate conditions. They havent been around that long to really test them IMO

Jeez.......mister "go to here" can't find the goods now? Try this place, www.tamko.com and look under the "Roof Deck". Then go over to No. 6 "Low Slope Application". Hope this clears it up for 'ya.......

JET>>>

August 6, 2009 at 6:54 a.m.

CIAK

I have found that H/O's will decide their roofing decision based on budget, the number of years they plan to live in the house, around here how long they plan on living period the climate and the design of their house . I'm still challenging Jet to show where in the manufacture warranty he can substantiate his claim . I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if it can be shown to me . Come on Jet cough it up " ole pal . " ;) ;) B)>>>

August 5, 2009 at 8:10 p.m.

CIAK

It is not a requirement here either. A lot of guys sell it that is for sure . It didn't really start to pick up steam till a couple years back when there was a real paranoia about second water barriers. 30 is an accepted product for the second water barrier here in my county. Just more from my ole pal Jet . He may have inhaled to many stoogies . S/A may be a good idea not a requirement. Unless someone can show me otherwise. That is the challenge. Where is that requirement and where is the manufacture non- warranty statements ?>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MRCA - Banner - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away