User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Mule-Hide - Sidebar Ad - Warranty Portal
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Fastners for nailable base....

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

I am installing Liberty 2 ply system. Nailable base over decking then SA Cap.

Supplier is telling me to use regular plastic cap nails to fasten nailable base. I would think that cap nails would be harder to stick to then a flat metal cap.

What do you guys use to fasten your nailable base on plywood decking if you are covering with a cap sheet?

Thanks again!>>>

April 17, 2009 at 9:14 a.m.

egg

Buttoncap has a nailer that will shoot either plastic or metal caps. It's not my favorite gun because it is big and cumbersome compared to our other cap nailers, but it does work great for the base sheet applications.>>>

April 16, 2009 at 8:43 p.m.

alan7596

Certainteed sent us a dvd a while back and they showed the nailbase being installed with round metal simplex. That is all we have ever used. Never had an issue with them comming through the cap sheet. I wish we did use plastic caps, We have 2 guns that fire them and it would save my knees a little.>>>

April 16, 2009 at 1:24 p.m.

KC Joe

Rozziroofer Said: Most of the salesmen have little or no construction/ roofing experience. I feel askin them should point you in the right direction but mostly its not the right or best way. Plastic is not the way to go.
Here Here !!!

I've ask my suppliers for advise befor and regreted taking it more then once.

Thats why in another topic I ask for a web resource with common spec detail's to resource to but no luck there either.>>>

April 15, 2009 at 8:04 a.m.

RandyB1986

Egg.....from what I have learned from you all, its as broad as it is long. Single ply....2 ply, close to same cost. I bid it for rubber because that is the budget I had to work with. After some investigating I realized that I could put down this stuff and want to give it a try. I would think you would be happy as my customer, since I just spent an extra $500 in supplies to give you 2 plys instead of the one I bid and charged you no extra. And now you can have a flat roof that matches your shingle color, instead of a black peice of inner tube spread on your roof.

The product I am using would have a longer warranty if I were a certified installer. But that is the same with EPDM.

In my opinion, the best product for a flat roof......IS A FRAMER TO BUILD A ROOF ON IT! LOL

Thanks, Randy>>>

April 14, 2009 at 9:19 p.m.

egg

You need to use round metal cap nails. You need to mist them with asphalt primer. They do not telegraph at all. What I don't understand is if you bid the thing to install EPDM and you are changing the spec by your own choice because you think it will be easier or faster but don't have the money to install the midply, should I be glad I'm not your client? Is EPDM also rated as a a 12-yr. roof? No offense, but this is just something I do not quite grasp.>>>

April 14, 2009 at 1:25 p.m.

RandyB1986

Twill.....Did you ever do a 2 ply using plastic cap nails with the MA Base? I am just curious. Are Simplex nails metal caps? I am worried about metal cutting into sheet good when I roll it, but I am also worried about a 100 pound roller going over a million plastic cap heads and them not showing :silly: WHat am I missing?

I am so confused....

Twill, Is your first 2 ply SA system(the one you used MA Base and SA Cap with Simplex nails) still performing and how old is it? I am just hoping I dont wish I had used EPDM about half way thru Thursday :blush:

Materials are ordered no turning back now.>>>

April 14, 2009 at 9:24 a.m.

RandyB1986

I called GAF and talked with them for a while this morning....real nice and helpful guy at that contractor help desk!! I may just start using everything GAF-ELK.

They said my supplier was correct. GAF said to fasten MA Base with plastic caps, not metal.

He did say I could use SA Base but that is not being very considerate of others in the future, because if it ever has to be removed that decking would have to be replaced(And since I am only 40 and plan on roofing until death, that future just may include me). He did say that all wood decking should have coat of primer before using the SA Base.

I explained my application and asked what he would do. He said MA Base fastened with cap nails and SA Cap....warm day and a roller, think he said 12 year warranty.

I wish I would have bid this as a 3 ply from the start. I can see how the MA Base, SA Mid Ply and SA Cap could be an awesome combination.

I am having problems finding cement for laps..I cant get any flintbond in gallons or 5 gallons, only caulk tubes :( What are other options??

I'll let you guys know how this goes....wish me luck. thanks.>>>

April 13, 2009 at 5:15 p.m.

Rozziroofer

Most of the salesmen have little or no construction/ roofing experience. I feel askin them should point you in the right direction but mostly its not the right or best way. Plastic is not the way to go.>>>

April 13, 2009 at 4:38 p.m.

ClearwaterRoofer

Randy; Why dont ya use the Peel n stick liberty base sheet? If your using regular base use metal simplex not plastic. But unless your trying to save money get the Liberty MA base sheet tehn you wouldnt have to worry about nails.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

EagleView Assess -  Banner Ad - Visualizer
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
VaproShield - Sidebar - SlopeShield - Aug