User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

epdm advice

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

wywoody

I just recently did my first edpm job, a small little L-shaped roof with poor drainage. All went well, but I was disappointed that at the point of the folds, there was a 2-3" strip with spots of poor adhesion. I know there was plenty of glue on both sides there. Any tips on how to avoid this in the future?

May 18, 2010 at 6:19 a.m.

Stephen1

I don't do a lot of EPDM work either-so i will bow to the greater expertise of those that do-

but locally we have at least 2 different types of water based adhesive . One of them is, I think from Mulehide-it smells like elmers school glue, it's white- you can just roll it onto the substrate and then flop the rubber over onto it and broom the rubber down while the glue is wet.- It's pretty forgiving-quite a bit of fudge factor for one man to get the sheet positioned correctly- but you can get some bubbling if the sun hits the sheet and the rubber gets real hot- you can also get a slight diagonal wrinkle if the sun casts a diagonal shadow across the rubber from the corner of the building

the other type-from firestone-works more like a contact cement-coat both surfaces-let them dry-flop the sheet-slightly less initial grap so you have very minor re-positioning ability-broom it in

the first type can be a problem at the FACTORY FOLD area-where a 20x50 ft. sheet is folded in half at the factory to make a 10 ft. roll-there is a semi permanent crease their that the wet glue installation method doesn't have enough grab to flatten out

the second type of glue seems to handle it OK though if you broom it down flat or roll it down well initially.

best wishes, stephen

May 17, 2010 at 8:05 a.m.

wywoody

Thanks for the responses. I did coat both surfaces, althugh it was water-based. I think Vaa nailed my problem when he mentioned too much adhesive. I rolled it on, then brushed more on at the fold just to make sure.

May 16, 2010 at 7:13 p.m.

wywoody

I understand what you guys are referring to, but I meant after you've got the first half glued down and have the second half folded back. The spot right under where the fold was is where the adhesion was weak.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)