User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Drone cameras

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

bdub

Hey anyone have experience with flying drones with cameras to take roof pics? Im seriously considering buying one but would love to hear from a roofer if possible.

Good roof pics require proper elevation. I used to hire a guy with a helicopter but he was expensive. Then there was a guy with a balloon that had a camera hung from it. That worked better and a little less expensive but still both depend on weather, timing and permission.

Ive been looking at a quadcopter called steadydrone. It has a mount for a go pro and the new go pros work with wifi so i believe i can see what the camera sees from my iphone? Very curious if any roofers have experience with this stuff.

One of my customers daughters recently took some drone pics of a couple of my roofs and i was blown away. I must find out how to do this myself!!!

March 11, 2015 at 8:40 p.m.

RoofDude

Cool stuff Tim.

March 10, 2015 at 10:36 p.m.

Lefty1

Tim, I do not know what Phantom Vision means? I have a double issue. I have 10% of my vision in my left eye. My loss of depth perception comes from my brain not using my left eye for information since it is blurred. This caused the left eye to not focus on the same spot as my right eye. My case also gives me double vision.

For those who do not have this issue. Cover one eye try and walk up steps or open a door, shake hands. Simple tasks that will have you smacking yourself with doors. tripping up steps. Shaking peoples fingers instead of their hands. After 47 years the steps and doors are not an issue. Shaking hands is still an issue. I do not know how to correct it.

Every time I am in an airport, getting on or off an escalator is a challenge. I can miss judge the step as it disappears under my feet.

March 10, 2015 at 9:05 p.m.

clvr83

Is that version 3.0 Tim? Is that the stock camera? I'm just wanting to check my options.

March 10, 2015 at 6:43 p.m.

Lefty1

I have the drone and camera sitting in a box. I have been so busy. I really need to get on the ball with getting that up and working.

There is a certain fear of me crashing it. I have no depth perception. Experience is the only thing that saves my ass. I hate driving down roads with no lines painted on them. The lines let me gauge distance. When their are no lines I look for the seam in the black top for a gauge. So up in the air will be a challenge.

Roofguy said it I need to be ahead of my peers.

March 10, 2015 at 2:18 p.m.

mastersroofing

Sorry to offend. The examples i see in the replies could be better done by getting on the roof and taking photos close up. Yes more high def than Eagle View but then Eagle View is there for measuring the roof, not showing issues on the roof that need to be addressed. As for the soffit example, you are going to have to get up close to determine the extent of damage anyway. I don't think you are going to rely on the drone to do that. Again just a plain camera is better or at the very least as good.

Not saying the drone is not nice...but I stand by the position that it adds little to the actual assessment and evaluation.

Chuck www.masterswa.com

February 15, 2015 at 2:30 a.m.

Hardt Roofing

Yep this is going to be the best way to showcase roofing work. I am still interested in the 360 virtual tours I'm thinking I could stand in the center of the roof and take a 360 pic of the work. It would be a hell of a lot easier to use the drones. Hey I wonder if the is a drone company that will come out and take the video so you don't have to buy one. Oh well anxious to see someone do it and post a link.

January 27, 2015 at 11:10 p.m.

bdub

Gimmicky? Dude me and you are on two different planets. I don't play the production game whatsoever. I take photos for myself. I don't sell. My phone number is extremely hard to get. I do not even have a business card. Gimmicky? Get real.

Im with roofguy in that i dont see how drones are gimmicky in the production world either. You think satellite measurements are gimmicky too?

January 27, 2015 at 4:12 p.m.

mastersroofing

Nice photo I must say. It is gimmicky to be sure and does not seem worth the cost and labor to execute. I could see some customers leaning your direction due to the high tech but really? I'm pretty skeptical. Seems more like a solution looking for a problem.

Chuck - Masters Roofing Edmonds www.masterswa.com

January 26, 2015 at 8:44 a.m.

CIAK

Let's see how all this shakes out. http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/27937751/emergency-response-reported-at-white-house B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

January 26, 2015 at 7:57 a.m.

wywoody

I noticed an article about a new organization that wants to write the regulations and standards for drones.

http://www.propertydrone.org/

The fact that it is financed by Eagleview makes me a little suspicious that it might be a bit self-serving.

January 25, 2015 at 7:07 p.m.

bdub

Thx for the link roofguy! Thats exactly what i was looking for. Then i was able to see a whole bunch more too. Kind of a "duh" moment once i saw all the clips on youtube. I just finished a portfolio video using pics but i cant wait to incorporate drone video on the next one.

Still chasing money to support my roofing habit but soon as i get the funds, quadcopter and go pro next roofing purchase!

I gotta lol about the americans reactions to the drone around their home. Ive lived like that before and its more sad than funny but laughter is the best medicine. My customers certainly dont have time for that kind of useless paranoia. Only thing they worry about is paparazzi!

Thx for the respect clvr83. Real recognize Real!

January 24, 2015 at 10:57 a.m.

clvr83

I know that I want one. I'm already looking forward to seeing some of your work from a drone shot!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SafetyHQ: Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June