User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Does anyone use manlifts

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

hatchetman

Does any of you use a manlift (the boom type) for a steep tear-off and re-decking 2 story steep home. Would they tear up the yard to bad? My son thinks it would be a great time saver and safer. I know that they're expensive but a person could rent one. Not so much for the tear-off aspect; but the re-decking and roofing. Any input? Thanks in advance.-----------------H

January 14, 2010 at 9:25 a.m.

clublaugh

Have never used one on a full reroof, but they are definitely a timesaver on steep repairs.

January 13, 2010 at 4:39 p.m.

wywoody

I once did a cleaning on a 10/12 that the owner supplied a manlift and said I could drive on the grass if I laid out plywood. You need at least 6 sheets (all will be ruined, of course) and a ground man to keep moving the sheets. I could still see indents in the turf surface after we finished, though.

January 13, 2010 at 1:49 p.m.

JET

hatchetman Said: Just figure the cost into the job.

JET; thanks for the input. What size would you prefer and how do you keep them from tearing up a yard? Or is some landscaping also figured in.

Most high wire jobs aren't residential but if they are you just get a big enough lift to set it up in the street and boom out to the roof. Go to an 80' size if necessary.

JET

January 13, 2010 at 12:19 a.m.

kage

For a 2 storey we use ladder staging and roof jacks/and 2x6's and a rope if your real scared :woohoo: ,much quicker...

January 12, 2010 at 5:26 p.m.

Old School

We have a Pettibone forklift for the heavy lifting and we also have a platform for it for working on roofs. Most of the time we will just set scaffolding before we work on a roof. Much better in my opinion.

January 12, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.

hatchetman

Just figure the cost into the job.

JET; thanks for the input. What size would you prefer and how do you keep them from tearing up a yard? Or is some landscaping also figured in.

January 12, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.

JET

Absolutely.........wouldn't DREAM of doing a high wire job without one. It's a safety issue for me and the rental rate is not that bad. Just figure the cost into the job.

JET

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WSCRA - Banner - RCS Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
USG - Sidebar - Fire