User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Does anyone really make money as a storm chaser?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Philip T

I am an out of work roofing sales rep in California. Most of my sales experience is closing deals with homeowners by building relationships and having long term service contracts with property management companies. I do well with offices, small commercial and residential. It seams the only projects happening in Northern California are Public Bid projects and the companies here don't pay commission on those. I am just curious as California doesn't really have a storm chaser season. I am thinking of moving out of California and am interested in peoples opinions of where is a good place to go and start a new Sales career.

July 11, 2010 at 12:05 a.m.

insuranceroofer

Yes you can make money as a storm chaser, you just have to understand how it works. It is great to find a local roofing company to work for, however not all local companies know how to maximize performance/profit during a storm.

The best situation is when an "insurance claims" roofing company "storm chaser" has a storm in their local area. If they are good they do well.

Do a ton of research.

July 10, 2010 at 8:02 p.m.

Verified

Colorado is good. In OKC they are looking for salesman. Pick a local....Van De staag is looking on classifieds here for help in OKC. they are local.Here in West Texas-Odessa/Midland we have a few insurance claims but in pockets. My sales guy got 3 leads today and he is a noob. Lubbock and Amarillo area im sure is busy too. Plus Clovis NM got hit and contractors must have a license to work there.

July 10, 2010 at 7:56 p.m.

TomB

A bit of advice....Make sure you choose a state with state contractor licensing....Relocating from Ca. myself, some 18 yrs. ago, I found myself a duck-out-of-water....The unscrupulous/opportunistic business behaviors are unbelievable....I would think, with your sales experience you would fair well never-the-less, however, it's daunting, swimming with the sharks....

July 10, 2010 at 6:55 p.m.

Philip T

Thanks guys for all the input. So now for plan B. Anyone know a good state where the work is good? I am not looking for a killing, honestly just looking for a living. I was used to closing 1.5M in tear off work per year for the last 10 years. The last year and a half work got so slow I had to pick up what ever work I could and got a job at an old folks home mopping floors. Its rewarding to help the veterans but its not my preferred line of work.

July 10, 2010 at 11:10 a.m.

Verified

Believe what they say. This is from personal experience. They will rip you and the homeowner off. You are better off watching for storms and going to work for a local guy and help him keep the money in his community. You can move to the areas around west/north texas, Ok, Co, Kansas etc and you will always have work close by. email me if you have any questions. I have been there and done that. shane@verifiedroofing.com

July 10, 2010 at 7:55 a.m.

CIAK

My second oldest boy is the manager of a call center, The kind that solicit deals over the phone . Talking to him about that business similar to bad stormers . All the paperwork in line all legal angles covered just a sweat room full of people who know nothing about what they are selling just turning dollars . He makes really great money based on the volume sales staff . Any thing could see your job down the tubes sneeze smile just show up and someone is in a bad mood . What a hole . It's the money that keeps him there . I was able to break through to his conscious the other night. Working for a bad stormier ....no security being ripped off at every turn . PocketKang PocketKang where are you ? I wish that guy would have stuck around . What a riot .

July 9, 2010 at 1:03 p.m.

Philip T

yeah I don't need a nobama money offer. I am looking to move somewhere that I can afford to start a family. There is no gold left in California but it sure costs a mint to live here.

July 9, 2010 at 12:59 p.m.

CIAK

The season we are into now is Hurricane , California fire , Hail season is a good time to make money . Usually will start in the spring and go from Texas to Minn Oklahoma . Do a historical weather check for different events . If you are wanting to work for a stormier be careful who you choose . Some will look you in the eye and pull a Noboma on you.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beacon - Banner Ad - This is Roofing School! (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better