User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Does anyone need a real expensive pen?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

I write notes with a pen, but I have a friend that makes these, and I was blown away by how much they cost. I didn't think that anyone wrote anymore, let alone that there would be a market for these. Beautiful; yes, but look at the prices!

http://www.vermontpen.com/in_the_news

March 23, 2015 at 11:25 a.m.

Mike H

egg Said: Well, here it is boys. Its all relative.

As unbelievable as that is on the surface, it makes so much more sense than the pen.

Rare coins have stood the test of time as an investment. You never know, he could double his money in just a few years. But chances are good he'll never lose that penny, nor lose money on the deal. This is particularly true for the ultra rare, where only the super-rich could even hope to buy it. It's a better bet than most stocks.

But a $7k pen... that's just showin' off.

March 22, 2015 at 9:24 p.m.

Old School

Well yeah! I didn't put those words together very well did I? Liam Tower makes the pens, and he also did the work on those jobs I noted. He is VERY VERY good at both. I still could not justify spending that much on one of the pens. Hey, a good slate hammer is important though.

March 22, 2015 at 4:21 p.m.

max

Old School Said: I guess if I could write well I would consider a $100.00 pen, but the truth is I chicken scratch and can hardly read my own writing so I would have no use for one. Now a $7,000.00 pen would be the definition of insanity to me. I dont care how much money one had! I am much more comfortable with a keyboard and a computer.

Hey, I do my share of slate roofing and I have a hammer that costs about $120.00. I would not spent $10,000.00 for a slate hammer though, and I can make money with one of them. I know the guy that makes them and I know he is a real artist with slate and copper, I still cant imagine the value there. I will have to visit him in Vermont and see what he does. I guess he is super busy, so there is a demand there.

that would be a slaters hammer OS

March 22, 2015 at 11:09 a.m.

Old School

As an example, here are some pictures of Liam's work in slate and copper.

[url]http://slatepictures.smugmug.com/Architecture/All-Photos/28006943_WZfZkT#!i=2365066275&k=PDgMs22 [/url]

I know that pictures numbers from 102 to 104 are his work. I don't know how to separate them from the rest.

March 22, 2015 at 10:58 a.m.

Old School

I guess if I could "write" well I would consider a $100.00 pen, but the truth is I chicken scratch and can hardly read my own writing so I would have no use for one. Now a $7,000.00 pen would be the definition of insanity to me. I don't care how much money one had! I am much more comfortable with a keyboard and a computer.

Hey, I do my share of slate roofing and I have a hammer that costs about $120.00. I would not spent $10,000.00 for a slate hammer though, and I can make money with one of them. I know the guy that makes them and I know he is a real artist with slate and copper, I still can't imagine the "value" there. I will have to visit him in Vermont and see what he does. I guess he is super busy, so there is a demand there.

March 21, 2015 at 1:24 p.m.

clvr83

If these had a GPS tracker, I might commit to payments of $3.99/month for the rest of my life. I hope to live a long time, so that could add up.

March 21, 2015 at 12:20 a.m.

egg

Well, here it is boys. It's all relative. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/penny-worth-dollar2-million-is-up-for-auction-in-baltimore/ar-BBiur2t?ocid=mailsignout

Here's the guy who bought it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/penny-worth-2-million-auction-baltimore-article-1.2156678

As for pens, maybe I'll just make my great-grandmother's work for me. Kinda small, though.

http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/rcs/users/egg/Ruth-D.-fountain-pen-1913.jpg

Just need to get a bottle of ink. As a matter of fact, maybe the ticket is to get some quills and use a sharp knife to trim the tips. We've come a long, long, long way. Too long I would say. Even my typewriter is out of date.

We've gone from powder horns and adzes to cybertech, automatic weapons, crappy, boring, high-speed movies, and fast-food. Pretty sad when you stop to think about it. Penicillin and refrigeration were good. No going back.

March 20, 2015 at 6:02 p.m.

CIAK

I've decided to clean out the the jars and cubby holes etc. where all my pens hide. 90% of them don't write anymore. The ink has dried up or run out. Funny thing about it is, I will pick a pen if it doesn't work I'm in the habit of putting it back in the jar or cubby hole. No more! I started throwing out the pens that don't work. I'm thinking there will be 1 or 2 pens left when finished. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

March 20, 2015 at 3:43 p.m.

wywoody

A couple of years back, I was at a jobsite of a longtime builder customer. I needed to go over a detail with him and he was finishing up talking with his customer. He had a beautiful wooden handmade box with him.

I commented on it and he opened it up and it was his display case for handmade pens made from exotic woods. I ribbed him a little about being surprised his eyesight was still good enough to do such precise work and he told me I could have any one of them I wanted.

I picked one that was beautiful rosewood and brass and---proceeded to put it on my pickup truck bed rail and then went over a detail with him. I didn't think of the pen again until I was halfway back to shop.

I pulled over on a busy road and quickly moved some tools and scoured the bed to see if the pen had rolled in. I didn't see it, so I drove back to the jobsite to see if it was in the road, I sure didn't want Ray to see the pen he gave me crushed in the road.

I carry an extra leather pouch in the back of my truck for new or temp employees to use. About four months later, a guy was using that pouch and asked me if I wanted the pen in the pouch, he said it looked like it used to be pretty nice. Weathering in winter in the back of a truck wasn't kind to that pen. The wood was no longer smooth and shiny, rust had seized the clicker and it no longer even wrote.

But I keep it in a pen jar in my shop office to remind me of two things, one is my friend Ray and the other is I can be stupid at times.

March 20, 2015 at 3:25 p.m.

wywoody

I bet if you looked into the world of people that could (and would) pay $100k for an 8" dragon sculpture, over half would think Howard Dean is a moron. Why would you claim he inspired it and lose half your potential customers?

March 20, 2015 at 3:11 p.m.

Mike H

I wonder what the resale on a pen like that is?

I did notice, it came with a 3 year warranty, and a solid slate display box.

March 20, 2015 at 3:10 p.m.

Mike H

I lost sunglasses every week until I bought some Oakley's. Now I always know where they are.

I suppose the same would hold true for a pen like that, but it's not a chance I'd be willing to take.

All I see when I look at that pen is a full month of food, shelter, schooling and medical care for 130+ kids at my brother's orphanage in Haiti. Don't look like it would taste very good.

Like Tinner, I'll stick to the G-2 that's 2 feet away on my desk at the moment.

March 20, 2015 at 11:10 a.m.

tinner666

I'll stick with my Pilot G-2. Smooth, great feel nd it can write on napkin without going through. :)

March 20, 2015 at 10:15 a.m.

seen-it-all

I have the coffee cup and the mouse pad, come on Vickie, get us all a nice pen.

March 20, 2015 at 9:38 a.m.

egg

Well they say the pen is mightier than the sword so it's probably a good idea to have the best one you can get your hands on just to be prepared. I'm saving my money for a Rolex because I think it will help me negotiate a better price on a yacht. There was a space age yacht here in port recently. It cost 300k to gas it up. I vaguely remember a movie where several poor guys pooled their money and bought a white tux so they could make a good impression with the young ladies in town when it was their turn to wear it. If we got enough people to buy in we could do a time-share on a pen. Shipping and insurance costs would mount up though.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Depot - Banner Ad - Supply the whole roofing job
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar