User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Does anybody snowplow for extra winter dough?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

hatchetman

I was thinking bout investing in snowplow for my main roofing truck ('05 f350 super duty 4x4). Is there any money to be made or is their to many unemployed people and to much competition. Im just looking for any up-front advice on the pitfalls or advice for a successful plow season. Mainly going to target residential drives. Any advice on brand of plow; im sure there all good but if im buying I want something decent. Here in Northern Illinois last year we had a record snowfall season; so far we have had 1 good snow bout 10" with more to come soon they say. I know there is plenty of us here on RCS that are in the snowbelt. Just need some advice on what to avoid. Thanks in advance----------------------H

December 23, 2009 at 12:12 a.m.

RandyB1986

I have never had a problem getting paid for snow plowing......the company I plow for now pays us within 5 days. I sign a contract with them just like I do a roofing customer. If they dont pay you, either sue em or kick their ass.....your choice.

I did have a guy try to not pay me for a roof once....but a $50 bill and a crackhead with a bat, that gent decided he wanted to pay.

I don't work for anyone if I don't know where they live or how to find them........whether it is roofing or plowing snow.

December 22, 2009 at 4:43 p.m.

Old School

Sound resonable, but you still have to bill and get paid for your work. Not easy AFTER the snow is gone.

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 p.m.

RandyB1986

I have plowed snow for about 10 years now. I have 3 plow trucks...and we have a skid steer. It is a very profitable venture if you already own the truck.

I don't have that many of my own accounts....I work for a large landscaping company and have for th elast 5-6 years.

In my area we get about $75-85 per hour per truck and $125-150 per hour for skid steer. Every 2" snow we get about 40 total hours....and if we get 6-8" we can total 70+ hours.

If you get your own accounts they pay about 125 per hour per truck and 200-225 for skid.

Knock on wood....I maintain my trucks and have been lucky. I have one truck with 250,000+ miles, it is a 2000 Chevy 2500 and has original engine a tranny. I bought it new from dealer with a Boss plow. I have a 2004 F250 with a Hiniker V Plow.

Boss plows are my favorite, followed by Hiniker. Get whichever one that the dealer is closest to you and has good hours. Our local BOSS dealer is open 24 hours during snow events....which is nice. With your truck you should get a V plow and concentrate on commercial lots...either on your own or sub for a larger company.

www.plowsite.com has lots of info including people needing help in all parts of US.

Sorry to get long winded....but I love plowing!

December 21, 2009 at 9:11 p.m.

Old School

You can make money, but getting paid is another matter. It is HARD on the equipment, especially if you have never done it before. One big repair can wipe out a months worth of plowing revenue. The cold is really rough on the quipment too.

Some of the excavators up here plow snow in the winter, but not too many of them. A large front end loader going across a parking lot and hitting a curb hidden in the snow or a man hole cover will really light you up. You may be better off working for a plowing company so that you can get paid by the hour with your truck when there is sonw to plow. They take care of the billing and collecting, and YOU drive YOUR truck and don't let anyone else plow with it. If you break it, it is your fault that way. Probably a break even proposition. Good luck!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo