English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Do you pay your employees enough?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TomB

It's amazing at the amount of people that just don't get it.....

1983; $ 15/hr.....House $ 50K....Truck $ 6K 2009; $ 18/hr.....House $ 250K....Truck $ 20K +20%...... + 500%.... + 330%....Food, clothes fuel, taxes, etc.....

How is that indifferent? I realize "Perception = Reality"...But come on now.....

I'm surprised at the little amount of discution on this topic.....Or is it pretty-much a "given" to most?>>>

September 14, 2009 at 9:28 a.m.

TomB

Eco,

$30/sg for 4/12?....Holy poop!......That's actually a fair wage for these times...works out to $48-$60/hr. for the avg. shingler(s).....I sure would like to be able to pay my guys that!>>>

September 14, 2009 at 8:22 a.m.

jfreynik

What one makes has little bearing on what they can buy with it. You could make $100,000.00 a year and still not be able to buy a home and a car. I've seen people that never made more then $8.00 there whole life and own a home and when they died had $800,000.00 in the bank. What I'm trying to say is most young guys today want NOW what there parents have and worked for There entire lifetime to get. If people would buy what is in there budget instead of over buying and living above there means they can get what they want in due time.>>>

September 14, 2009 at 7:16 a.m.

Jed

Fifteen bucks an hour for a roofer in '83 is some serious cash.>>>

September 14, 2009 at 1:39 a.m.

EcoRoofer

Truth be told when the powers that be collect a near equal amount as what a guy gets paid who would want to swing a shovel for minimum wage with possibility to advance into a position as a roofer that is still making the same wages as a guy did 10 years ago...but really it is all perception. Take pride in doing a good job at what most people refuse to do and you are set in the right direction to make money. I love what others hate and because of that I always have work...funny story is going from Seattle piece rates of roughly $30.00 per sq. on 4/12 install to Olympia where the average high paid foreman gets $15-$20 per hour and is expected to produce the same, when I was the roofer piece worked rocked now I own this beast and if I paid sq. work in Oly I would be ran out of business in the land of the 4/12 rambler prices are odd.>>>

September 13, 2009 at 10:48 p.m.

RandyB1986

TomB.....AMEN!! Then throw in all the state, county and local employees and teachers, firemen and policemen......I bet 60-70% of the population mooches a payday from the tax payers!!

Makes one wonder where all the money comes from....well, I guess it is just printed :woohoo:

Believe in your country, have trust and faith.....the Indians did :dry:>>>

September 13, 2009 at 10:13 p.m.

TomB

Do I pay my employees enough?...I pay them as much as I can and stay afloat.....A more appropriate question might be..."Do your employees make enough?"....

The answer is; Of course not; Just consider this: I'll go back to 1983. Let's compare; I was paying a journeyman roofer $ 15.00.hr.,($ 31,200/yr.) (I'm using the same town/demoghrapjhics mind you) Salary Typ.new 1st home New pickup 1983....$ 31,200....$ 50,000...........$ 6,000 2009.... 37,440.... 250,000........... 20,000

Not to mention the resultant higher costs of just about everthing...The working man in this country hasn't got a chance....

In 1983, I had employees buying homes, new cars, supporting families....Can't happen today. What happened? Illegal immigrants, liberlism & a worthless gov't....That's what happened.....

The scale has tipped the other way.....Our community was adjacent to a large military base. There wasn't much desire to take a civil service job, as one could do much better in the open/competitive market.....Now the opposite is true....There's guys knocking down $ 100K a year sitt'n on their arses, working, (taking up space), for the gov't, while the really productive people are eeking out a miserable existance on the same wages they made 25 years ago! And I don't need snoopes to confirm it...I've lived it!>>>

September 13, 2009 at 3:34 p.m.

wywoody

You can't really tell anything by looking at the house someone lives in and judging by their car. My wife used to sell Real Estate way back when the info was in confidential listing books. Those things were an eyeopener. Very often the existing owners of the expensive houses would have enough equity and an old enough mortgage that they would be paying lower monthly payments than someone that recently got into 'the average house'. I know of many employees that I've had that have been paying more in monthly vehicle expenses for three or four year old vehicles than I pay for new trucks. You get someone with poor credit, that trades in a vehicle they're underwater on, factor in insurance problems and you could lease a new Mercedes (not that I would) for what the poor guy is paying for say, a used Ranger. But you can't live their lives for them, you've got to let them make their own mistakes.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sherwin-Williams - Banner Ad - Roofing Passport
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick - June