User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

did aliens land on this roof? please help a gal out

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

fayetteroofing

Ok so this is an embarassing post. I ought to know what made these marks, but I want to get opinions from you seasoned professionals before I trust my inkling that it's a manufacturer's defect. I could see these marks from the street. They're all over the roof in a random pattern... It was pretty steep so I only dared to get valley shots.. Please tell me what could have damaged the shingles like this. Also, here's a picture of some nail pops.. What causes this and how can it be prevented?

http://solarskyroofing.com/roofingphotos/

Thanks so much, Cha

February 8, 2010 at 2:58 p.m.

soldierboy

I have seen this before. This is a defect in the shingle, and yes their is a class action suit against this defect. I have also seen new construction roofers put on a bad roof right from the pack. They don't care and the mentality is "You can't see it from my house". They get paid by the square and don't care if the roof looks good or not. Seems that it's a dying breed of taking care of your work, the quality of America has gone down. Sure wish I could help, but when I seen this I couldn't help even after following all the levels of red tape... The shingles may still work, but who wants a crappy looking roof on the place they live?

January 30, 2010 at 4:31 p.m.

Old School

I'll bet that the asphalt had cooled when they put on the second layer of granules and the granules just sloughed off. That is probaby the reason they don't make them anymore.

January 30, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.
January 30, 2010 at 11:06 a.m.

max

i cant even see the pics

January 29, 2010 at 10:04 p.m.

Alba

It looks like heat damage.How's the ventilation on that house?

January 29, 2010 at 4:49 a.m.

OLE Willie

How old is that roof? I guess it could simply be defective shingles that the sun ate up in a hurry! Its weird that every mark seems to be on the double layered portion of the shingles. I dont see any on the single layer portion.

January 29, 2010 at 12:39 a.m.

fayetteroofing

Ole Willie yeah I agree with that.. It's ALL OVER the roof.. Cannot be foot traffic. But if they came out of the pack like that, wouldn't someone have noticed once the job was done? You can literally see the marks from the street. It's nuts. I'm interested in seeing what the adjuster says.. if he climbs it :blink: thanks to everyone who responded.

January 28, 2010 at 12:10 p.m.

OLE Willie

Those shinlges came out of the pack like that. May be second rate materials. I dunno. But my question is why did the roofer use them when it was obvious they were damaged. Its not foot traffic. If you look at the pics the shingles are damaged on the very edge of the roof including the overhang where even an idiot wouldn't be dumb enough to walk. lol

January 28, 2010 at 8:08 a.m.

Jed

I think the one with the holes in it by the gutter is just pressure due to the fact it is being forced down as it is tucked behind the gutter. The way the valley lies leads me to believe it is a go over which can contribute to the nails rising due to the extra heat. "Nail pops" are due to the rate of expansion of the metal nail being quicker (and more dramatic) than the wood deck. The skuff marks leave me puzzled.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SafetyHQ: Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey