English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Declaring yourself a Minority!!!!!!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

msshottet

Everybody is telling me that I need to declaring myself a minority so that I can get some of the jobs that they give to minorities before they give to anyone else. They say that when you are a minority and a woman you hav first choice of getting certain jobs. I am in Miami, Florida does anyone know where I can get info from about this.>>>

July 23, 2009 at 7:36 a.m.

elcid

Along this same vein, does the government still have small business set asides. In years past, you would qualify for this program if you did less than 3 mil. over a 3year period. And there were many,many projects perhaps the majority of 1mil or less. Problem was that these mandates were not enforced. We lost several jobs to large outfits, even after questioning their validity, but, unfortunately, skullduggery prevailed. This program should not be confused w/ minority set asides - as it was provided to aid legitmate small business. What ticked me off the most on minority set asides, whose ultimate purpose should have aided the minority workforce in general, are minority companies who brokered everything and had not one single minority employee.>>>

July 22, 2009 at 8:32 a.m.

Terry

Mike you probably remember me better as Duro-Last Terrry>>>

July 21, 2009 at 10:39 a.m.

Terry

I'm Terrry from Michigan -Residential-Commercial....now do you remember me?>>>

July 21, 2009 at 9:30 a.m.

Mike H

Ok, now I gotta get my mind wrapped around all this. And the wrestling/"I'm a Roofer" Terry lives in PA, is that right?>>>

July 21, 2009 at 8:11 a.m.

Terry

Ya Mike I was wondering what you were talking about.....Terrry>>>

July 21, 2009 at 8:01 a.m.

Terry D

I am the one that coached wrestling. Seems like a lifetime ago!>>>

July 20, 2009 at 10:53 p.m.

Mike H

Well which one of your coached wrestling?>>>

July 20, 2009 at 1:32 p.m.

Spudder

If you are going after government work then by all means make your declaration, it doesn't mean that you will get the contract but it puts you on a even playing field, which I still have trouble figuring out. I do not quote government work.>>>

July 20, 2009 at 1:07 p.m.

Terry

Oh wait, the other Terry has recently made a post an I guess I was directing my answer towards her/him. I guess the way you can tell the difference is the other Terry is (I am roofer) and Terrry is (Commercial/Residential) sorry for the confusion. Terrry>>>

July 20, 2009 at 1:01 p.m.

Terry

Jed, I think there is two different Terry's. I am probably the old Terry since I haven't been on RCS in the last 3 years. I have recently come back, an since I've been back I don't think the other Terry has been on. As Mike H and Egg would call me I'm Terrry, don't ask that was to many years ago.>>>

July 20, 2009 at 12:29 p.m.

Jed

........I'm confused.....is this two different Terry's......>>>

July 20, 2009 at 10:28 a.m.

CIAK

I decided to delete my reply . In this atmosphere we live in the truth is hard to swallow if put out there in a raw form.>>>

July 20, 2009 at 9:24 a.m.

Terry

WOW...Now I'm gonna say something that may piss a lot of people off. I have spent my entire life in the roofing industry. I have reaped many benefits and have also carried the financial burden, earned by respect and paid my dues. Know one has every handed me anything, everything my husband and I have we earned every penny. HOWEVER, I am not looking for a hand out by the government, I'm looking to expand my customer base, the government is the only one that seems to have any money right now. AND HE WHO THINKS IT'S A HAND OUT...Needs to re-think your thoughts there are so many loop holes, paper work, and it is extremely time consuming just to put all your ducks in a row to become qualified. Government jobs are there for everybody but if I can get one step up from my competitor by being a women owned roofing company and that qualifies me for minority status so be it. Come on how many men have put there companies in there wives name just to get the benefits and yet there wives have little to nothing to do with the company and don't even know which end of a trowel to grab. PLEASE Hand out my ass.>>>

July 20, 2009 at 7:38 a.m.

Terry D

I'm sorry, this might just piss a lot of folks off but..... I am sick and tired of the "give me, I am a minority" attitude. EARN THE WORK! This company is owned by a 70 year old female who has NEVER expected anyone to give her anything because she is a woman or because she is a senior citizen. We earn the jobs by sending an educated estimator out to look at them and then forming a bid that is thorough and honest. We earn word-of-mouth work by doing an outstanding job for the customer so that they have no problem telling their neighbor, friend, family, etc. who did the work.

For quite a while, most of the folks here had no idea that I am female, nor did they care that I was. I hope this was because when I had an opinion to offer or a question to ask, I did so, without bias of sex hanging over the post.

Go stand on the corner with dark glasses and a tin of pencils if you want someone to give you something. Otherwise, EARN IT!

>>>

July 20, 2009 at 7:30 a.m.

CIAK

egg Even with my knowledge of the language , I had to look that one up. Thanks ;) ;) :)>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tremco - Baner Ad - Safety First: Tremco
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising